Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRG
    BF-

Typical response. I bet you've heard of Nirvana, right? Nirvana repeatedly cited the PIXIES as their greatest influence.

And quite frankly, they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Nirvana ever was.

You see, the Pixies were actually an influence on MANY bands, especially so-called "alternative" bands. They didn't play very many shows, and they broke up hating one another, so there's always been a sort of joke equating a Pixies reunion with pigs flying and h-e-double hockey sticks freezing over and such.

So there you have it. And if you want to check them out, I'd suggest Doolittle, as it's one of the best albums of the 80's (like Top 3 or so best, IMO).

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check it out.

And as for my "typical response", I'm sorry, but I've never heard of them, no need to get all righteous about it.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

The Pixies I believe were out of Boston, and were fronted by Charles Francis - aka Frank Black or Black Francis. Frank Black released at least 2 solo albums, but probably did 3. The bass player was Kim Deal, who with her twin sister Kelly, formed a fairly good band called the Breeders after the Pixies split up. "Cannonball" was a big hit for them circa 93, off the album "Last Splash".

I think the Pixies albums, most notably the one who's name I can't remember (with "Allison" on it) are better than the side projects. Their albums were:

Surfer Rosa/Pilgrim (released as one cd)
    Doolittle
    (That one who's name I can't recall, it's short but amazingly good)
    Trompe Le Monde

Check them out - they really, really rock. Im surprised to hear they'd get back together as well, I thought Kim and Frank really had a falling out. I hope they'll make some new music.

Of interest, it is a Pixies song ("Where is my Mind") that plays when the Visa building explodes at the end of the movie Fight Club. Wicked.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

jjr-

The Pixies (official) releases were actually as follows:

Come on Pilgrim
    Surfer Rosa
    ^(above two were LATER re-released together on the same disc)
    Doolittle
    Bossavova (that's the name you can't recall)
    Trompe Le Monde (their last studio album)
    Complete B-Sides (released relatively recently)
    Death To The Pixies (a recent retrospective containing a live disc and a "best of" disc)

The song at the end of Fight Club is called "Where is my mind?" and originally appeared on Surfer Rosa, although I don't believe it is actually on the soundtrack.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Excellent work, EricRG. "Bossanova" is a great album - the reason I couldn't find my CD - it was in the trunk in a backup magazine for my car player. I knew I'd heard it recently, but couldn't figure out where the heck I'd put it.

I guess Kelly Deal 3000 should have rated a mention in my above post, but I don't know if it's any more than twice removed from any Pixies influence. Kim may have played a little with Dayton's Guided By Voices (another band I really used to dig), but maybe not on any of their albums. I think Joey Santiago played on the Frank Black albums as well - of which there were at least 3. I never did get the third one, which included some kind of nod to a Sci Fi writer in the title, did it not?

The Breeders were OK. "Safari" is a classic. I never paid much attention to very much of the other Frank Black/Kim Deal "side project" stuff because it didn't impress me. I hope the Pixies cover "Safari" on their upcoming tour!
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by EricRG
    BF-

And quite frankly, they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Nirvana ever was.

No way in hell IMO.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Whoa, man. I think we love Nirvana too.

Back to the game. That's one vote Pixies, and one vote Nirvana. I wonder who'll wind up getting voted off 90's-College-Band Island!!!!!!!!

My personal hope is that Collective Soul will get the rest of the votes and have to give up their torches.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason View Post
    The Pixies I believe were out of Boston, and were fronted by Charles Francis - aka Frank Black or Black Francis. Frank Black released at least 2 solo albums, but probably did 3. The bass player was Kim Deal, who with her twin sister Kelly, formed a fairly good band called the Breeders after the Pixies split up. "Cannonball" was a big hit for them circa 93, off the album "Last Splash".
    Frank Black has put out a lot of material. He had three solo albums:

Frank Black
    Teenager of the Year
    The Cult of Ray

Then he started recording as Frank Black and the Catholics:

Frank Black & The Catholics
    Pistolero
    Dog in the Sand
    Black Letter Days
    Devil's Workshop (released the same time as Black Letter Days)
    Show Me Your Tears

Then he went back to just recording as Frank Black:

Honeycomb
    Fast Man Raider Man

In between those two, he released an album called Frank Black Francis. Disc 1 was the original crude demo that was made with just him and the guitar before the Pixies went into the studio to record their first album. The second disc was some new interpretations of Pixies songs.

His most recent album is under the Black Francis moniker, and is called Bluefinger. He's also had a bunch of internet only stuff, and there are a couple compilations of b-sides and unreleased stuff on iTunes.

The reunited Pixies did record the song "Bam Thwok" and it is available on iTunes. Kim Deal does most of the singing on that one.

And, according to wikipedia, his real name is Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.

Quote Originally Posted by billfremore View Post
    Yay the Pixies are getting back together!

Wait.

Who the HELL are the Pixies!?!
    My sentiments exactly.