View Poll Results: Do you think Lord of the Rings will overtake Star Wars as the ultimate fantasy saga?

Voters
641. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because it is superior

238 37.13%
  • Perhaps, but I don't see why

18 2.81%
  • No, Star Wars will still rule

211 32.92%
  • Don't care / they're apples & oranges

174 27.15%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Do you think Lord of the Rings will overtake Star Wars as the ultimate fantasy saga?

Apparently this has been some great debate going on in our forums.

I've personally never seen any of the LOTR movies myself. I guess I haven't been in the mood, and yes, I've heard they're great.

But I'm going to turn the discussion over to you guys with a poll to give you some numbers to talk about.

I'd like to thank JediTricks for suggesting this topic.

Go on and get into it!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Thanks for including an Apples/Oranges choice. Because it's really unfair to compare the two series. While both have their basis in mythology, they're two different beasts. One is a Space Fantasy, the other is Medieval Fantasy. So there really can be no comparison. It would be like comparing a Western and a Comedy.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I think it's hilarious that people diss SW when praising LOTR for being "so cool." Hey, like whatever the hell you want to like but just realize that if you somehow get your jollies by beatifying LOTR at the expense of SW, you really need to get a life.

As for the poll question, I vote "Don't Care" because I can't imagine how we could even begin to define 'the ultimate' anything.

I took apples and oranges. They are along two seperate lines and yet somewhat similar. Both are ficticous worlds made up by two different individuals. LOTR set out to be a blockbuster movie, where as SW didnt. Lucas himself was suprised by the way people took to it.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

"they're apples & oranges"

I wasn't into the Lord of the Rings thing at first. I honestly had little desire to see the movies, having hung up my interest in wizards and rings a long time ago. (Mostly figuring that the films would never do the books justice, no matter how hard they tried.) I've really enjoyed them though and am looking forward to the third. I suppose, as it turns out, that I'll watch just about anything with Christopher Lee in it.

I don't find myself needing to look at any of these stories in a competitive way ... seems like a weird waste of time to me. You know ... watch the movies, read the books, play the video games or whatever ... and be happy that you have as many choices for entertainment that you do.
    plasticfetish.net

Well, if you want to be completely technical and accurate about it, shouldn't it be "Do you think Star Wars will overtake Lord of the Rings as the ultimate fantasy saga?" After all, LOTR predates SW by several decades.

BTW, I'm in the "apples and oranges" bunch myself. I think Caesar said it better than I can:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Doggy Dogg, Mack Daddy of Bubbliciousland
    Hey, like whatever the hell you want to like
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Apples and Oranges. One is based off a book. One was truly made 25 years ago. One is about reviving something that is dead. Both are about recreating and redifing things, including culture. 'nuff said.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Apples & Oranges baby. I do like LOTR, but I love SW. The 3rd and final movie looks very good from the pre-views, but SW will always be my bag baby.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

A's & O's

The original Star Wars trilogy blew me away as a kid & LOTR has has done the same as an adult.

Star Wars will have 6 movies, at least 1 cartoon series, as well as countless Novels & Comic Books. Ultimate it sounds.

LOTR seems a little more mature to me. Sure the basis of good vs. evil is the same, but the way the stories are told are very different.

make that 3 cartoon series and a Holiday special
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)