Hybrid View

What was the original cost of the Early Bird Certificate?

How much was this actual certificate Christmas of '77? The envelope that contained the cardboard display, stickers, and the coupon for hte four Star Wars figures. I've been trying to track down its original retail cost, but I can't seem to locate it. Couldn't have been much. . . five bucks? Anyone know?
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

For some reason, the cost of $9.99 is in my brain. No facts to support that, tough. It would make sense; average of $2.50 for four items they didn't know would even sell or not.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I received mine as a Christmas present in 1977. I seem to recall seeing them in various stores, priced anywhere from $7-$10. Remember, you not only got the mail-in certificate for the four figures, but 12 pegs and a cardboard figure stand, as well as some stickers.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by darthzirock
    I received mine as a Christmas present in 1977. I seem to recall seeing them in various stores, priced anywhere from $7-$10. Remember, you not only got the mail-in certificate for the four figures, but 12 pegs and a cardboard figure stand, as well as some stickers.
    I have to assume that you were excited to recieve the envelope, right? I just think that it is amazing that the power of Star Wars was so great that Kenner was able to sell Certificate packages (with extras) to kids, for Christmas no less!!!!! Nowadays, a movie has a ton of crap on the shelves when it hits. . . and Star Wars paved the way. I told some non-collector friends of mine about the certificate deal, and they wouldn't believe me. I think it was ingenious, maybe that is just me.
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett07728
    I have to assume that you were excited to recieve the envelope, right? I just think that it is amazing that the power of Star Wars was so great that Kenner was able to sell Certificate packages (with extras) to kids, for Christmas no less!!!!! Nowadays, a movie has a ton of crap on the shelves when it hits. . . and Star Wars paved the way. I told some non-collector friends of mine about the certificate deal, and they wouldn't believe me. I think it was ingenious, maybe that is just me.
    Actually, since I was already 15 and in high school, and had asked for this as a Christmas present, it wasn't that big of a deal. Although, I was really curious to see what was inside that big cardboard envelope, you bet!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]