Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Useless Video game knowledge

I've been a little bored recently, so I figured we could play a little game. As you know most of us are big Star Wars buffs, able to tell people every single line of dialogue from the movies and point out the names of even the most obscure charactors among other useless information. So I figure we could try to expand on this idea with a video game thread devoted entirely to useless video game info. Who knows, we might acually learn something new.

Berzerk is the only game known to have directly caused a fatality involuntarily ("Marathon Gaming" and suicide are voluntary). In the early 1980s a person died of a heart attack while playing the game.

Gun Fight, a Midway game produced in 1975 was the first game to use a microprocessor. The microprocessor's speed? A whopping 2 mhz.

During their peak popularity arcade games were everywhere: pizza shops, restaurants, retail stores, even car dealerships.

Computer Space, the first arcade game ever made was released in four colors: green, red, yellow, and blue.

Flynn's is the name of the arcade in Tron.

Centipede was the first arcade game designed by a woman.

Pong was not the first video game, but it was the first successful video game.

To date, no home console system (handhelds aren't considered home console systems) has matched the success of the Atari 2600 (a.k.a. the VCS). It was in production for an amazing 14 years.

Video game violence existed prior to the Mortal Kombat era. In Exidy's Death Race (released in 1976) the player's goal was to drive over Gremlins (which appeared as real people to many). In Chiller, a later release by the company from 1986, the object was to shoot human targets and was quite gory for the time.

Dragon's Lair II production as put on hold because of the decline in popularity of arcade games. It was finally released in 1991.

Williams arcade games such as Defender, Stargate, Robotron and Sinistar are among the most challenging and difficult games to play.

Many classic arcade games were converted to newer games (by replacing the controls, marquee and game board) since they no longer made money in arcades. In retrospect, this wasn't such a good idea, since classics are the most popular games today.

Steve Russell, an MIT student, created Spacewar in 1961. This was the basis for the first video arcade game.

Atari was commissioned by the U.S. military to develop a training simulator version of Battlezone. Two cabinets were made with a modified version of original Battlezone.

Mario, Nintendo’s star character of Donkey Kong fame was originally called "jumpman".

Budweiser Tapper, a Bally Midway game where you play a bartender who serves beer to customers was also released in another form: Rootbeer Tapper (a non-alcoholic form) to appease child-oriented arcades.

Proper arcade etiquette to let someone know you want to play the next game was (is) to put your quarter above the control panel or marquee bracket.

Tron was a box-office flop, but an arcade sensation.

Three arcade games have been created based on music stars. Bally Midway released Journey in 1983, based on the rock group of the same name, Midway released Revolution-X in 1994, based on the rock group Aerosmith, and Sega released Michael Jackson's Moonwalker in 1990.

Red Donkey Kong cabinets are very rare. They are from the very first few made off the production line: Radarscope factory conversions. These games are VERY collectible.

Bally released a trivia game known as Professor Pac-Man. The game was a huge bomb, only 400 were made (by comparison over 100,000 Pac-Man games were made).

It was only recently that someone was able to achieve the perfect score on Pac-Man. In 1999, Billy Mitchell reached a score of 3,333,360 points, the highest score possible on the game.

The actual names of the ghosts in Pac-Man are: Shadow, Speedy, Bashful and Pokey. The ghosts' nicknames are Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde, respectively.

There are 240 dots to be devoured in each Pac-Man maze.

Pac-Man was originally released in Japan as Puck Man. When the game was brought over to the US, the name was changed due to fears of people using the name in a more vulgar sense. Hint: What rhymes with puck?

The first arcade game (Computer Space) was a flop. It was too hard to understand.

There have been over 3000 different arcade games made since they first appeared in the 1970s.

Baby Pac-Man was the first and only one of three video game/pinball hybrid games ever made popular. The other two games: Granny and the Gators (also released by Bally) and Caveman (released by Gottlieb) were not very successful.

Most full size arcade games weigh 250 – 350 pounds.

Many games with black and white monitors used color overlays to simulate a color screen.

Pac-Man's creator came up with the Pac-Man character after looking at a pizza missing one slice.

There is an organization that records, tracks and verifies high scores for all video games: Twin Galaxies.

Galaga was one of the first games to feature a bonus stage.

Space Invaders caused a coin shortage when originally released in Japan.

Warrior, a vector game by Cinematronics was the first one-on-one fighting game. The game was released in 1979, predating Street Fighter by 8 years.

The first successful arcade game was tested at Andy Capp's tavern. A few hours to weeks (varies on accounts) after being on location, it broke down. The reason? It was jammed with quarters.

Space Invaders earned three times as much money as the original Star Wars movie grossed at the box office.

Crystal Castles is one of the few classic arcade games to actually have an ending.

Eugene Jarvis designed Defender in 1980.

Atari developed a very unique pinball game named Hercules. It was so large that it used a wooden ball nearly the size of a billard cue ball for a pinball.

Top arcade players can play some games for over 20 hours on the same quarter.

Nolan Bushnell originally developed games under the name "Syzygy." After his first creation, he started the company known as Atari. Later on he went to found Chuckie Cheese.

Pinball was banned in New York until 1976.

Steve Juraszek was a 15 year-old prodigy who was able to score over 15 million in Defender.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 11-09-2003 at 02:39 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Best post ever

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Damn fine post! Ah, the memories...
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

In Chiller, a later release by the company from 1986, the object was to shoot human targets and was quite gory for the time.
    I played the rom of that. It was one of those misfit unlicensed NES games, and you got points for shooting out the windows of a church! It got old fast, but it was fun for a bit.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Malakite
    Two arcade games have been created based on music stars. Bally Midway released Journey in 1983, based on the rock group of the same name and Sega released Michael Jackson's Moonwalker in 1990.
    Wasn't the game titled "Journey Escape"? Also, doesn't Aerosmith have some shooter now?

Bally released a trivia game known as Professor Pac-Man. The game was a huge bomb, only 400 were made (by comparison over 100,000 Pac-Man games were made).
    I saw this when I was a kid, very boring.

Baby Pac-Man was the first and only one of three video game/pinball hybrid games ever made popular.
    I played this when I was a kid, pretty fun but not entirely challenging. I used to get it confused with Pac-Man Jr. because of similar titles. Super Pac-Man is still my favorite of the Pac arcade series.

The first successful arcade game was tested at Andy Capp's tavern. A few weeks after being on location, it broke down. The reason? It was jammed with quarters.
    I'm pretty sure it was the next day that it broke down due to being full of quarters.

Atari developed a very unique pinball game named Hercules. It was so large that it used a billard cue ball for a pinball.
    This is not accurate, the Hercules pinball machine used a wooden ball slightly smaller than a billiard cue. The Redondo Beach pier arcade had a bank of these when I was a kid, boring game due to a very spartan board and flippers that simply weren't up to the task of hitting that mammoth pinball. Great arcade though at the time, had the old Raster graphics Star Trek game and a ton of great lesser-knowns like that, all in good condition.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    This is not accurate, the Hercules pinball machine used a wooden ball slightly smaller than a billiard cue.
    That is why you're the Super Mod JT, because you've been around longer than I.

Feel free to add additional useless facts if you have them guys.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

E.T. was the biggest movie of 1982, so it was big news when Warner Communications nabbed the video-game rights from Steven Spielberg and promised that the game would be done for the 1982 Christmas buying season. That gave Atari programmer Howard Scott Warshaw six weeks to design, program, and bug test the game. That he succeeded was a major surprise; that the game sucked should have surprised no one. That didn't stop Atari. Learning no lessons from their Pac-Man debacle (Atari produced 12 million Pac-Man cartridges, only ten million Atari 2600's had been sold). Atari produced five million E.T. cartridges. Nearly all of them came back. Faced with tons of unusable merchandise, Atari ended up sending 14 truckloads of cartridges to a landfill in Alamagordo, New Mexico. Don't bother taking the trip, though. Everything was crushed by a steamroller before being dumped and then was covered in cement.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 11-07-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Also, doesn't Aerosmith have some shooter now?
    Aerosmiths game came out about 5 years ago if my memory is correct. I can't remember the games name but you were suppose to save each member of the band. It sucked and I never played again.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I thought Malakite was meaning just arcade for the music thing. Did Aerosmith's come out in arcades?

If you're meaning all video games, then you have Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Kiss games. Then there's the Britney Spears game and other music star games I don't remember right now.

Does that count as useless knowledge?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Yes, the Aerosmith shooter game was an arcade only machine.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.