Competing AMITYVILLE HORROR movies: remake vs. update

Quote Originally Posted by Fangoria Online
    Dimension joins AMITYVILLE movie race

Variety reports that Dimension Films is developing an AMITYVILLE HORROR update that will compete with the Michael Bay production we reported here. Dimension has acquired (from Nu Image) the life rights to George Lutz, head of the family who experienced the alleged haunting documented in Jay Anson’s book and subsequent 1979 movie, along with a complete first script draft that revisits the house 25 years after the book/film’s events. A currently “unnamed but well-established horror director” is in talks with Dimension to helm the project, which Dimension hopes to get in theaters by early next summer (before or after CURSED?). Company topper Bob Weinstein says that Dimension’s film will not deal directly with the original horrors but present a fresh take on the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
    September 8, 2003... As first reported by Coming Attractions back in February 2002, a new AMITYVILLE HORROR movie project is in the early stages of coming together. Variety is reporting today that writer Daniel Farrands will put together a script based on the infamous haunted house first seen on-screen in the 1979 film. Emmett/Furla Films, Barstu Productions and Integrated Films and Management are the three companies working with Farrands to put together this new AMITYVILLE.

It's unclear whether the new film will be another sequel or if it will retell the original story. The origins for THE AMITYVILLE HORROR began when a series of gruesome murders were committed in the house back in 1974. Later, a popular book by Jay Anson was released that attracted national attention. This book served as the basis for the movie.

In recent years many psychic investigators have claimed the Amityville house was nothing more than a hoax while others say that there was some kind of supernatural force at work within the home. [Variety.]

October 24, 2003... Platinum Dunes, the film production company who brought us the remake of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, has been brought on to remake another 1970s horror film -- namely, 1979's THE AMITYVILLE HORROR. The movie, which was based on Jay Anson's book of the same title, is set up at MGM. Platinum Dunes' principal partners, director Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will produce the new HORROR. No director is attached to the project as of yet. [Variety.]
    Make it stop!!!

I mean, really ... enough is enough, you know?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Date set for MGM’s AMITYVILLE

Quote Originally Posted by Fangoria Online
    With both MGM, in tandem with Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes company, and Dimension Films developing competing AMITYVILLE HORROR films (even though Dimension signed Dunes to a first-look deal this past week), MGM has fired the first shot of sorts by announcing a September 3, 2004 release date for its project, according to Variety. Upon announcing its own AMITYVILLE, Dimension claimed it would have the film out by next summer, but we all know how good the company is at sticking to release dates (CURSED, anyone?). One movie that will be in theaters next summer, the trade reports, is M. Night Shyamalan’s THE VILLAGE from Disney.
    Again, we need two new Amityville Horror movies because ... ?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Do we even need one movie?

Nope.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

An AMITYVILLE by next September?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
    An AMITYVILLE by next September?
    MGM wants it by then. We'll see.
    Dateline: Saturday, November 8, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
    News Editor
    Source: Variety

With both Dimension Films and MGM developing new AMITYVILLE HORROR movies, both studios are competing to be the first to get their picture into theaters and claim bragging rights. While comments from Miramax/Dimension prez Harvey Weinstein said that his company's film would hit theaters first, MGM decided to fight back and announce a September 3, 2004 release date for its AMITYVILLE film.

To meet that date MGM is going to have to move fast. The studio hasn't announced a director, a screenwriter or anyone else attached or working on the project save Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes production company. Looks like someone will be working weekends.
    Is there really a need to rush either of these completely unnecessary AMITYVILLE reduxes? I mean, since just the very idea of either project is an exercise in mediocrity, wouldn't you think they'd want to take their time and try to actually make a film that was worth seeing, instead of just slapping together a piece of steaming elephant excrement?

Naaaaaah!