View Poll Results: What did you think of the first episode of the Clone Wars cartoon?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was great. I plan to watch or tape them all now.

153 54.84%
  • It's a cool show, but I'll wait to see them when there's a DVD with them all.

42 15.05%
  • I like it enough that I'll see them when I download them all.

13 4.66%
  • I've seen what it is and I'm either disappointed or not interested anymore.

24 8.60%
  • I haven't seen it, and I'm not interested.

8 2.87%
  • Darn! I missed it! Well, I'll tell you all when I've finally seen something of it.

39 13.98%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

More

I thought the new cartoon was great. But we need more than 5 mins a show.

Yes, they are too short, but I knew that going into it. All together they will equal about an hour long story about one part of the Clone Wars.

I don't really think I really care for the style of animation, but I'm interested in seeing the story. A chance to see an original Star Wars story on TV is rather cool. However, for now I will have to download it. I was hoping to be moved into my new house by now, but it will probably be a couple weeks before I'm in and have cable hooked up. The cable system where I live now does not have the Cartoon Network.

Speaking of downloading. It probably took around two hours for me on a 56K dial-up. I'm not sure exactly how long it took. I started before 5pm or shortly after I think and was done before 7pm. The file 37.3 MB and is 3:44 in length. It'll be kind of a pain to have to do that for each episode, which is why I'm not going to bother downloading the one with the commentary on it.

I've also got the Clone Wars timeline, which comes with three short Clone Wars stories. I think mine came out of the Geonosian fighter box, but I think some of the other CW vehicles have it. It is also available online somewhere as a PDF file. So now I have started to work my way through the Clone Wars stories. The stories come from a variety of sources: comics, books, the animated series, and short stories in Star Wars Insider. Together, they should fill in the gap between Episodes II and III quite well.

There really wasn't a category for me to click on. Yes, I plan on taping them all (then editing them together and making a DVD copy of it all), but I wasn't entirely sold. Not that it was bad. I just don't have enough information yet to declare it a slam dunk like most people here already have.

JT, there was an article in yesterday's LA Times (Calendar section) with an interview about the creation of the idea. Interestingly, the guy states that he purposefully didn't use MTV style editing because he likes to let scenes play out. Maybe that is so, but in 3 minutes, almost every cut will seem like it's fast and furious when they try to cram that much story in. Funny, it felt a whole lot like the entirety of AOTC when I stop to think about it.

In any case, the only standout moments for me (that I liked) were the C3PO bit with the robe and the scowled look on Yoda's face. Aside from that, even though the Anakin/Padme hand thing was over the top, it fit in with the feel of the real movie which was waaaay over the top as well. Only here, it seems more natural because of the animated medium and the time constraints. Methinks that George would have been better off writing and directing these shorts and letting someone else more qualified take care of the features.

Bygones.

I think that a short by short review is a little weird so I submit that we revisit this topic sometime after the last episode airs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Yoda was a bit goofy to me and Anakin sounded . . . oh yeah, I don't know how he sounds because instead of mouthing off to Obi-Wan like he SHOULD have, he just made that dumb "shoulder scrunch and glare" look at Obers. Padme nearly made me LOL because she looked a bit silly, I don't know why but she did.
    Yeah, totally agree on those, Yoda in voice also didn't work for me, Ani didn't say nuttin', and Padme looked weird for some unexplainable reason.

I have nothing nice to say about the Cartoon Network kids that did lead-in for the show, so I won't say anything at all about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    I think I'll stick to spongebob and Rocko's modern life. In the past, star wars cartoons for some reason never grabbed my attention, not even the droids series
    I can totally understand that, although both of those have sadly finished regular production. I'd also add Dexter's Laboratory, TMNT, Justice League, MOTU, and even Transformers:Armada to my list (and anybody who's read my posts in the "Transformers" thread in "Other Collectibles" knows I'm not kind to that one! ).

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    JT, there was an article in yesterday's LA Times (Calendar section) with an interview about the creation of the idea. Interestingly, the guy states that he purposefully didn't use MTV style editing because he likes to let scenes play out. Maybe that is so, but in 3 minutes, almost every cut will seem like it's fast and furious when they try to cram that much story in. Funny, it felt a whole lot like the entirety of AOTC when I stop to think about it.
    Hmm, an interesting thought just entered my mind when I read your comment here... perhaps the use of computers for editing gives the editor a warped sense of timing, where things seem slower and have better pacing since the editor is viewing them as slow as frame by frame without loss. Sure, a great shot feels epic when you work on the computer for 6 hours straight, but that could be as little as one frame of film, the viewer won't see it that way. I guess that means the future of entertainment here isn't watching it in normal-time, but instead using the ability to freeze-frame over and over - personally, I'm not for that.

Oh, and Stilla, this poll question is about the first episode, either you've seen it or you haven't, but it won't take seeing chapters 2 through 10 to judge chapter 1 (although many people that's the case with the prequels and Matrix 2 and all sorts of other movies that seem to become dependent on their sequels).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, I watched Chapter 1 again and still thought Padme was funny . . . I think it's maybe in her frown. It almost looks too "mopey" but then again so does Anakin as he prepares to leave.
    Also I think her cleavage was a little too distinct, I'm not saying that in a low brow way - I just mean that her face didn't look right with the rest of her body.

Well after my second viewing I think I like it more but I'm still not crazy about it. I didn't like the Tauntaun sound used for Yoda's mount, I thought it was TOO familiar.

I'm having trouble with Obi-Wan's character in this short . . . I love the voice work, that's very well done but I question his motivation in the Chancellor's office. During AOTC he scolds Anakin because "Palptine is a politician. I've observed he's . . . " and on and on.

But in Chapter 1 of Clone Wars, he seems eager when he tells Palpatine "my army is ready" or whatever he said. So I don't know, I relaize these are different circumstances but Obi-Wan felt a bit too eager.

Maybe I'm wrong ?

Okay... I loved it. Plain and simple. Yes, SW fans don't like everything with the SW name slapped on it. I hated the Droids and Ewoks cartoons. I thought they were trite and poorly animated.

My boyfriend likes SW and is not the fan that I am and was completely blown away by the animation and the overall mood of the short. I think this one felt a little short because there was so much exposition from Yoda from frame one. Since we've been caught up on the what's been going on between AOTC and the shorts, I think the three minutes will seem a little better used in the further chapters.

Gendy deserves a big hug, in my opinion.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    JT, I watched Chapter 1 again and still thought Padme was funny . . . I think it's maybe in her frown. It almost looks too "mopey" but then again so does Anakin as he prepares to leave.
    Also I think her cleavage was a little too distinct, I'm not saying that in a low brow way - I just mean that her face didn't look right with the rest of her body.

Well after my second viewing I think I like it more but I'm still not crazy about it. I didn't like the Tauntaun sound used for Yoda's mount, I thought it was TOO familiar.

I'm having trouble with Obi-Wan's character in this short . . . I love the voice work, that's very well done but I question his motivation in the Chancellor's office. During AOTC he scolds Anakin because "Palptine is a politician. I've observed he's . . . " and on and on.

But in Chapter 1 of Clone Wars, he seems eager when he tells Palpatine "my army is ready" or whatever he said. So I don't know, I relaize these are different circumstances but Obi-Wan felt a bit too eager.

Maybe I'm wrong ?
    I agree about the cleavage issue. Also in as tame a way as possible, the boobs were just too distracting. Can't get hot for a cartoon, but they are a forced focal-point. My wife and freind both saw chapter 1 and made almost the exact same comment: "Ha! Nice ones!" I don't think that all female characters have to be endowed with those perfectly round, breast implant looking chests for us to know that they aren't little boys. With that said, I really do like what I've seen so far of the cartoon, and hope it only gets better.
    Asteroids are of no concern to me!

Darth Deering

Hmm. Something must be wrong with me. I didn't notice the breasts. I was focused on her head and the hair style. It looked kind of funny, but that didn't bother me much.

I noticed her head to so there must be something wrong with the both of us. For the first episode this was pretty good. Something to keep us waiting for EIII.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Quote Originally Posted by posty333
    Hmm. Something must be wrong with me. I didn't notice the breasts. I was focused on her head and the hair style. It looked kind of funny, but that didn't bother me much.
    Are you referring the her bow-tie hairdo? That was also a topic of discussion. Not so much criticism, just discussion. It was just what you should expect from Amidala.
    Asteroids are of no concern to me!

Darth Deering