Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb What George stole (borrowed) for Star Wars

While watching Swiss Family Robinson last night on the telly, I sat up and took notice for the first time during the river crossing sequence as our heroes tread through the perilous water while escaping from the pirates. All of the sudden, after a bit of doom-ridden foreshadowing of a swimming creature bobbing into view, the older boy is suddenly pulled under the surface and is quickly wrapped up in the tentacle-like grip of an anaconda. While struggling (none to convincingly), his brother manages to find the Indiana Jones-type machete and tries to help. Now, maybe I was just thinking this or maybe it really is in the script, but I swear I remember them saying: "Where should I hit it?" he asks frantically. "Anywhere!" is the reply.

Sound familiar?

What other influences have you seen?

Well, george has stolen a lot of my money, because you know he's getting a peice of the action on every toy I buy. Good thread, I've noticed other similar items, but it's late, and my brain isn't working correctly.

I do know that back in the early 80's I submitted a comic book where I get sucked into the movie ESB. I end up wrapping up all the bad guys with the tow cable in the battle on Hoth, and in the comic I have the Super Star Destroyer planted point down into Hoth's surface. Then ROTJ comes out with a super Star Destroyer crashing point down, into the second Death Star. I believe they used the idea from that comic book I had submitted to a creativity contest for the Star Wars fan club. At the time, the fan club was run out of San Rafeal California. I had to sign an agreement to enter this contest that I was giving Luucasfilm the right to use any ideas without giving me credit. I just look at that little bit of film wondering if my idea contributed to that scene.

If I can locate the comic, I'll show you my original idea.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

During TCM's recent salute to Ray Harryhausen, they showed The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, so I caught it. Imagine my surprise when right before the end of the film, Sinbad is rescuing his bride-to-be from the bad guy's cave and comes across a chasm that he must pass to escape the evil doings behind him.

Luke & Leia's swing to freedom across the Death Star chasm is lifted from this scene, though I don't remember if there was a kiss for luck or not in 7th Voyage. Lucas doesn't seem to be trying to hide the fact that he's borrowing this shot, he even uses the same camera angle.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know this thread is in the Classic Trilogy forum but when I watched the Apple Jacks Making of Star Wars video again after seeing TPM, I noticed an old Flash Gordon shot of a video screen. It was the EXACT same thing that George used for Padme's appearance to the Neimodians at the beginning of the movie.

The circular ripple, yeah, that one was another straight "borrow".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And that 'borrow' is mentioned in the Phantom Menace documentary about the movie on the DVD. They talk about the screen, and talking to the people that made the sound effects for it. I don't see what the big deal is. Lucas has always said that it was done in the vein of the old seriels and movies from when he was a kid. It's not stealing or borrowing, it's homages to things that Lucas loved as a kid. All directors do it, not just Lucas.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It's of a different angle, but I direct you to this thread, in this very section of SSR Bel-Cam's baby where we (read: mainly I) have found many other instances where SW details have connections elsewhere (elusive... ).

It's from the Old Forums threads, but in the Japanese film Seven Samurai, there's a subtitled line from a farmer who says "It is our lot in life. We must be made to suffer." Lucas used many a reference for his films.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    Well, george has stolen a lot of my money, because you know he's getting a peice of the action on every toy I buy. Good thread, I've noticed other similar items, but it's late, and my brain isn't working correctly.

I do know that back in the early 80's I submitted a comic book where I get sucked into the movie ESB. I end up wrapping up all the bad guys with the tow cable in the battle on Hoth, and in the comic I have the Super Star Destroyer planted point down into Hoth's surface. Then ROTJ comes out with a super Star Destroyer crashing point down, into the second Death Star. I believe they used the idea from that comic book I had submitted to a creativity contest for the Star Wars fan club. At the time, the fan club was run out of San Rafeal California. I had to sign an agreement to enter this contest that I was giving Luucasfilm the right to use any ideas without giving me credit. I just look at that little bit of film wondering if my idea contributed to that scene.

If I can locate the comic, I'll show you my original idea.

I remember that contest! I'm sure you'll be shocked, but I wrote an entire novel, complete with cover and bound, with what I thought would be in the Prequels. I used the information gleaned from the Prologue in the novelization and any other bits that George had dropped (which wasn't much at the time.) I think I have my handwritten copy somewhere (my mom typed it up for me for the official submission). I'll have to look for it...

And, to quickly respond to JJB, not everything is an ATTACK on GL, so you can stand down your normal "Gotta-protect-Lucas-at-all-costs" demeanor. I knew that there were other threads in the past that touched on this topic, but thought it would be nice to consolidate the ideas in 2003.

Caesar, what is an "Apple Jacks Making of Video"?

I actually wasn't protecting Lucas. I was posting a comment on Caesar's mention of the viewscreen. And the fact that it's specifically mentioned as an homage on the DVD's special features. Other then that, I only mentioned that your wording of 'stealing' is misleading and a touch harsh, in comparison to what is being discussed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Spoilers

*MINOR LOTR SPOILERS*

Well, the LOTR books have been out since the 50s, and in ROTK, the battle of the Black Gate is a humongous engagement, and is actually just a diversion so Frodo and Sam can get to Mount Doom.

What do we have in TPM? The huge Gungan army attacks the huge droid army, and that tremendous battle, too, is just a diversion so Padme and co. can enter the palace and get to the Viceroy.