Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
DR. WHO is coming back to television
The BBC has ordered a new series
Dateline: Friday, September 26, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
News Editor
Source: BBC

DOCTOR WHO will be back on British television screens in 2005.

The publicity division for the BBC has confirmed that the legal snafu surrounding the rights for the sci-fi franchise DOCTOR WHO has been cleared up and a greenlight has been given to begin work on a new TV series. Writer Russell T. Davies has begun working on several new scripts for the new show, which should air on the network in, at the bare minimum, two years from now.

No other details about the new show, storylines or who will play the new Doctor have been announced except that the series will be a family show. This new project is separate from the previously announced animated DOCTOR WHO series in development. Richard E. Grant (WITHNAIL & I) will provide the voice of the animated Doctor.

"I grew up watching DOCTOR WHO, hiding behind the sofa like so many others," comments Davies. "DOCTOR WHO is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!

"The new series will be fun, exciting, comtemporary and scary. Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded drama which embraces the DOCTOR WHO heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience."
Okay, I love this show! Yes, the effects were cheesy and the stories were often terribly campy, but I was so sad when it ended back in 1989. I now have two things to look forward to in 2005: Star Wars Episode III and Doctor Who!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost Gallifrey
Davies at Hull Literary Festival
New series producer Russell T. Davies today attended a literary festival in Hull, UK, where some interesting bits of information came to light. Davies said that there is no concrete plan for the series at this stage, other than an outline (that will likely remain consistent) - nothing is set in stone apart from the fact that the series is coming back. The Doctor has not been cast yet. No master plan to bring the show back was in the offing; it just sort of happened, as a consequence of Davies repeatedly telling the BBC that he'd only work with them if he got to do Doctor Who. There's a production meeting on December 8th; things may start inching ahead around then. There will be other writers on the show but they'll be writing to specific briefs Davies sets. There will be a mix of stories; the whole spectrum of stuff from the old series, plus some new types of stories. Davies mentioned "Sapphire & Steel-type stories" involving shenanigans with time as one possible type of story. The reason BBC Wales are doing it is part of a wider plan to turn Wales into a production centre for television. Davies said that the series would likely consist of 13 45-minute episodes, most of which will be single stories. There are, at the moment, three two-parters, though that number may change according to how the budget plays out. He also said that we need to give Mal Young more credit for bringing back the series - it turns out that nearly every year, he's been coming up with budgeting plans and trying to get the series made. And people shouldn't just judge him by the fact that he produces Casualty and EastEnders - he also does less mass-market stuff like Dalziel and Pascoe, which tends to get overlooked. Doctor Who, he said, is a prestigious thing for the BBC - they're giving them an unheard-of 13 weeks of prep time, for instance, and it's envisaged as a series that will "run and run," in the manner of Casualty... a flagship programme. (Thanks to Stephen Graves, Paul Hayes, Ted Prendergast)
Oh, I am soooo glad that the BBC wants to do right by this show--at last!