Hybrid View

WB to cast new DARK SHADOWS

Quote Originally Posted by Fangoria Online
    WB to cast new DARK SHADOWS

Variety confirms that, as has been rumored elsewhere, the WB is planning to bring Dan Curtisí vampire soap opera back to TV, for what would be its third incarnation (after the ABC original and the short-lived 1991 NBC resurrection). Curtis and TV veteran John (ER) Wells are teaming on the new series, with Mark (TIMECOP) Verheiden signed to write the pilot script. The show will air in prime time during the 2004-2005 season; story details havenít been released yet, as all involved are still finalizing their deals.
    Man, I loved the ABC-TV daytime soap as a kid. The 1991 revival was actually pretty decent, but became a ratings casualty of the news coverage of the Persian Gulf War! There had been rumors the last couple of years that creator Dan Curtis was working on a Dark Shadows musical, of all things, in addition to a new DS feature film. (If you've never seen 1970's House of Dark Shadows, think Hammer Studios meets Jonathan Frid.)

Now, maybe Curtis can also get his revival of Kolchak: The Night Stalker off the ground.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

WB? So they can cancel it 7 episodes in like most of the stuff they produce these days a la Birds of Prey and Tarzan? Too bad it's not syndicated or a REAL network.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

WB has a simple philosophy...for every 10 piece of junk shows they are bound to hit on 1 or 2 big hits.

The real problem with them is that they find one good thing and try to spin 10 clones like it. Sure Angel worked as a spin off, but that was a rare occurance. They hit it big with Charmed and then they start in with the clones. They hit it big with Smallville and then they start in with the clones...

Dawson's Creek...One Tree Hill

It goes back even futher, Beverly Hills 90210...Melrose Place...Catwalk whatever...and on and on and on.

It really does make me ill sometimes.

I will watch this new Dark Shadows, but I really wish they had never killed "Kindred" it had a lot of potential...like Buffy. But I guess they were under a lot of pressure with that other bomb sitting next to it on the time slot, what was that one called? The one with Mr. Ooooh look at me I'm scarry, I sleep in a box...whatever.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
    I will watch this new Dark Shadows, but I really wish they had never killed "Kindred" it had a lot of potential...like Buffy. But I guess they were under a lot of pressure with that other bomb sitting next to it on the time slot, what was that one called? The one with Mr. Ooooh look at me I'm scarry, I sleep in a box...whatever.
    Um, Kindred: The Embraced wasn't a WB show. That was Fox.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Um, you are correct.

I tend to get the two confused from time to time. Didn't they both own Charmed at one time or another...?

Didn't WB do that Married-with-Children-sorta-but-not-really-clone. AKA Unhappily Ever After with mega hottie Nikki Cox and a puppet. I guess they figures that if a dumb blond could make it for more than 8 years a smart red head could last forever.
    May the force be with you.

Originally, Unhappily Ever After was not a clone of Married, though it was created by much of the creative team behind Married. The plot was that the dad was divorced from the wife and was living in his own place and was so lonely that his demensia saw the idiot son's stuffed rabbit, Mr Floppy (voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait), come to life. However, the premise of the dad living in a different apartment soon became boring so he moved back in with the family but Mr Floppy continued to be a part of his life. At this point, the show was remarkably similar to Married except the son was the moron and the daughter was smart and chaste (even though she dressed trampier than Kelly Bundy ). Sadly, Nikki Cox eventually got engaged to Bobcat Goldthwait.... yuck!

Oh, and Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place are Fox.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

X FILES vet to helm new DARK SHADOWS pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Fangoria Online
    February 19: X FILES vet to helm new DARK SHADOWS pilot

Variety reports that Rob Bowman, who directed numerous episodes of THE X FILES as well as the feature-film version, will helm the pilot for the WBís new DARK SHADOWS series. As previously reported, SHADOWS creator Dan Curtis has teamed with John (ER) Wellsí company for this latest incarnation, with Mark (TIMECOP) Verheiden executive-producing the show with the duo and scripting the pilot. Bowman is a busy guy lately, as the trade also reports that heís in negotiations to direct ELEKTRA, the movie spinoff of DAREDEVIL starring Jennifer Garner in the title role, for Fox and Regency.
    I had previously posted a news item about this, but I guess the thread became inactive and was deleted. Anyway, I'm wondering just how young The WB is going to go with casting this series. After all, both previous versions have featured actors in their forties playing romantic vampire lead Barnabas Collins. And, isn't it interesting that The WB cancels Angel as it shepards in yet another vampire-centric series?

We don't delete threads when they go inactive, but we had a momentary glitch last month that ate a few threads, which is why we updated to this new version of the software.