Hybrid View

The fate of FARSCAPE will be revealed tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
    The fate of FARSCAPE will be revealed tomorrow
    Is the cancelled sci-fi series on the verge of a comeback?
    Dateline: Wednesday, November 12, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL

Dark Horizons reports in today's news that something unusual is happening at the former production offices of FARSCAPE. An informant for the popular Australian movie news website told webmaster Garth Franklin that the show was back in business, with four to six new episodes of the science fiction series ordered. All of the original cast and crew were also back.

Franklin decided to see if there was any truth to the rumor and placed a call to the show's former production office. Surprisingly and on three separate occasions, Franklin's calls were terminated before the voice on the other line could be tricked into giving an answer, and on one phone call he was actually insulted for inquiring.

And here's where we drop the other shoe: we know for a fact that tomorrow afternoon The Jim Henson Company will host a press conference concerning the future of FARSCAPE. Among those FARSCAPE creators scheduled to attend are producers Brian Henson and David Kemper, with series creator Rockne O'Bannon also a likely participant. The purpose of the event? To announce a "new development" with FARSCAPE.

Now, you put it together and ask yourself the following question: why would the producers of a dead series be arranging a sudden press conference? All indicators point to the return of FARSCAPE.

It may be a little premature to pop open the champagne but we advise to have it chill on ice for the next 24 hours. I'll be attending the conference as as soon as the FARSCAPE news is revealed, look for the story to appear on the site shortly thereafter.
    So, what happened? Unfortunately ... nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
    FARSCAPE press conference postponed
    To be rescheduled, but when?
    By: PATRICK SAURIOL
    News Editor

We've just learned that today's planned for press conference announcing a new development with the cancelled FARSCAPE television series has been postponed until further notice. A representative told us that the conference will be rescheduled to a later, unknown date.

What this means for the fate of the popular sci-fi series and the rumors published earlier this week about a second shot at life for FARSCAPE remain unclear. Did the earlier reports of a newly reopened production office throw a monkey wrench into someone's plans?
    Oh, great! So, a rumor about the show getting revived is posted on the Internet and this causes the deal to fall through? Riiiiight ...

Unfortunately, David Kemper has been known to pull these kinds of stunts in the past, so I don't doubt that maybe he's got something in the works with reviving Farscape, jumped the gun on leaking the info, and it's blown up in his face!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

The rumor I heard was that they were going to do a final shot (something like 6 episodes or so) and wrap the show for good. Sorta like putting a final chapter to the popular series which ended rather abruptly.

At this point it's all rumor.
    May the force be with you.

I'd rather see the series actually pull a 'Star Trek' and come back from the dead. It was a dirty deal how the Sci-Fi channel cancelled them. First saying they were a go for a fifth season, and then right as they were filming the last episode of the fourth season, drop the news on them that they were canned. Even though they were making the station a lot of cash, and it was there second most popular show. And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time.
    Was there ever any doubt that it would bomb? Look at the whole premise for the series.

I admit, Buffy the Vampire Slayer sounded like a weak idea for a TV show, but hey...it still had a cool theme...Vampires!

Farscape was cut far too short, and I hope whoever the idiot was that cancelled the show looses (or lost) their job.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    I'd rather see the series actually pull a 'Star Trek' and come back from the dead. It was a dirty deal how the Sci-Fi channel cancelled them. First saying they were a go for a fifth season, and then right as they were filming the last episode of the fourth season, drop the news on them that they were canned. Even though they were making the station a lot of cash, and it was there second most popular show. And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time.
    Actually, that's not quite what happened ...

Farscape was a joint production between Sci-Fi Channel and a German investors' group. SFC had a promise of the funds for the fifth season from the Germans. Shows like Tremors and Scare Tactics were already being developed and those budgets were already approved. Then, the Germans took a huge hit in the stock market. They pulled their money out of the Farscape deal, leaving SFC in the lurch. All of SFC's money was already in other projects. Rather than just produce a half-season (it would actually have been less than half), they tried to find other backers, without success. This left SFC with only one choice--cancel the series.

Tremors: The Series bombed, yes, but do you know what? Its initial ratings were exactly the same as Farscape's. That was another part of the problem SFC faced--although it was a success with the critics and a favorite of a very devoted but small group of fans, Farscape never was a ratings-grabber, not like Stargate SG1. Plus, Tremors was less of a gamble than Farscape, because the three Tremors films always do very well in the ratings on SFC. Scare Tactics, on the other hand, is a big hit! Which puzzles me, because I think the show's so stupid and lame as to be virtually unwatchable.

If Farscape gets a reprieve in the form of a mini-series or even a full season of episodes, I think it will definitely be attributed to two things: David Kemper's often ill-advised and tactless insistence that the show "must" live (because the guy has no other ideas or projects), and the artistry of everyone else involved in the series.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

IGN FilmForce: FARSCAPE Miniseries on the Way!

Quote Originally Posted by IGN FilmForce
    Confirmed: Farscape Miniseries on the Way!
    The rumors are true...

November 14, 2003 - As IGN FilmForce reported back in July, a new FARSCAPE project is finally on its way. While an official announcement was postponed earlier this week, IGN FilmForce has learned that the production office in Australia has re-opened and work has begun on a new project.

The Henson company would not comment on the information but a source close to the production has confirmed that the new project will be a miniseries, not a new season as originally hoped for by the fans. While no plot details are available, sources have also confirmed that the new project will be independent from the Sci-Fi Channel, the network that broadcast the series. No information is currently available about just where the new miniseries will be appearing or when.

Obviously, this is good news for the fans that have fought so hard to bring the series back but there may be cause for guarded optimism. The miniseries is currently seen as a standalone project with no new episode commitment attached, so nothing is guaranteed beyond this project. More information as it becomes available right here at IGNFF.
    Pretty much what we'd all been expecting, although I thought it would be airing on Sci-Fi Channel, not in first-run syndication. However, they might have offered it to SFC and they passed on it because of their past head-butting sessions with David Kemper. I'll try to get confirmation on this from my sources within SFC.

A mini-series would be great but I doubt the show would ever come back as a regular series. If this project is a success I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a few Farscape TV movies along the same lines as the Babylon 5 movies but hopefully better. It would be cool if Showtime or maybe HBO picked this up but as long as the loose ends get tied up I'd be happy.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”