Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Simpson-Science "The Tomacco" a Reality!!

Ok, this is just weird. Who knew that something that was a silly as hell episode of the Simpsons could actually bear fruit. But it has, someone has sucessfully crossed the 'Love Apple' with the Nicotene Plant. Scary, Simpsons-Science can no longer be considered pseudo science.
    LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - To the best of our knowledge, no confectioner has yet tried to market Nuts and Gum, as seen in a 1994 episode of "The Simpsons."

Someone has, however, successfully combined a tomato plant and a tobacco plant. It's true: Tomacco isn't just for Homer anymore.

Rob Baur, an operations analyst for a wastewater-treatment plant who lives in Lake Oswego, Ore., says he grafted a tomato plant onto tobacco roots to produce the tomacco plant. In the 1999 episode of "The Simpsons" on which his experiment was based, Homer, fleeing a duel with a Southern gentleman, creates the foul-tasting but addictive plant by irradiating a field with plutonium.

Baur says he got his tomacco plant to bear fruit, but he thinks it probably contained a lethal amount of nicotine, so he didn't taste it.

"I've got this one plant growing, and it's blooming again," he tells Wired News. "I accidentally left the tomacco on the kitchen table, and my wife yelled at me, 'Get that thing out of the kitchen, you knucklehead!' ... It looks like a regular tomato."

Tomato and tobacco plants are genetically related, which allows them to be grafted onto one another. Baur took the plant to a lab to see if his experiment was, in fact, a success, and tests showed its leaves contained nicotine. The fruit wasn't tested.

Baur's experiment didn't go over too big with his family, but he's confident he'll be vindicated.

"We'll see who's saying 'D'oh!' when I'm on the cover of TV Guide and Scientific American the same week," he says.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

chief wiggum and i will wait for the mince meat pie with tomacco.

so, does this guy have wild farm animals busting his door down?

Jedi Master Guyute has, or had, a link that led to a video of a news story about this very thing with pictures of the plants and all.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Where is JMG when you need him. Cause this is so freaky, I want to see the video and pictures.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I read this a few days ago and couldn't help but laugh. The Simpsons have gotten to a point where they are generating interest in plant gene development. I wonder if his fields glowed at night as well?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Yes, but I wonder after you eat the tomacco, will it stain your teeth or clean it?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Just waiting for some stoner to try to cross marijauna and tomatoes as well.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker
    Just waiting for some stoner to try to cross marijauna and tomatoes as well.
    Yea then he'll cut himself with a knife to see if he bleeds rainbows.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

It doesn't work TRUST me...

But if it did, would ya call them "potatoes"
    <------------
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Actually, I believe cannabis and the tomato plant are related.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."