Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xyber 9

xyber 9

what do you know about Xyber 9 ships? Could they be an alternative to AF? Do you have some pics?
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

when xyber 9 1st came out, 98? i think, i looked at the toy line as a possible enhancement to my sons ever growing collection of action fleet.

i can't recall what it was, but there was something about either the vehicles themselves, or the figures, i don't remember what, but at that time i felt that the xyber 9 line was inferior to action fleet, and passed on collecting them.

i think the toys were made by bandai. the copperhead from final fantasy that swafman snagged for me a couple of years ago, was also made by bandai. even though i love the copperhead, the overall feel to it, is definately less than what action fleet profided in a toy. the joints are not as well tooled and fitted together as was machined on the galoob line. the figures do not articulate as well as the action fleet figures.

as i said, back in 98 when i was looking at the xyber 9 toys to see if they would make a nice addition to the action fleet, i chose not to go down that road, but back then action fleet was plentiful, and there really wasn't a reason to look elsewhere other than galoob. now is a different story. if i saw em again, i'd probably pick em up, cause as you have pointed out sergi, as action fleet is no more, alternatives do need to be seeked out and acquired
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

i think the toys were made by bandai. the copperhead from final fantasy that swafman snagged for me a couple of years ago, was also made by bandai. even though i love the copperhead, the overall feel to it, is definately less than what action fleet profided in a toy. the joints are not as well tooled and fitted together as was machined on the galoob line. the figures do not articulate as well as the action fleet figures.
    Made by Bandai USA. The Copperhead was nicely done. Never understood why they didn't made the Aki Ross's ship, the "Black Boa", first...
    Here is the only prototype picture I was able to find :

Bandaļ display at NY ToyFair 2001.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBoa.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7077  

As I've said before, I think the copperhead displays great next to the AF ships. The detail of the ship is excellent when compared to AF. As GSJ noted, the figures are a bit weaker in design and detail than AF, but AT LEAST THEY OFFERED THEM!!!!!! (of course, so did AF, at that time). The only downside I find in the Bandai Copperhead is, as GSJ also noted, the softer, rubbery material used for some of the ship causes some of the articulated parts to droop or not be in matching alignment with the main line of the ship.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Does anyone have any other pictures of the black boa? It's kind of hard to see in that picture and I can't even remember what the actually ship looks like. (I don't own the movie)
    I got my Xbox 360 for free, you can too here
    http://www.3604free.com/index.php?ref=4436719
    E-mail me for details.

Behold, a Black Boa photo from the old figures.com database! Looks pretty slick, too bad the film and its merchandising tanked before it could come out.

I have all the Xyber 9 AF-style sets, they're really neat. It was based on a cartoon of the same name, so the aesthetic isn't meant to be as realistic as Action Fleet, which is why the lines and designs are a different style. However, overall, I think these sets fit in well with AF although I did end up removing the propellers off both planes. They are directly in AF scale, I even have a few hanging with my Naboo troopers from the preview set. The one area I think Xyber 9 didn't hold up as well as AF was the cockpits, they're fairly bland and a couple don't even hold figures with the hatches closed (though imagination covers that). This line comes off way better than the Star Trek AF-ripoff line and is way more fun to play with too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27193.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	7086  
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

WOW, now I almost wish I didn't ask about the Black Boa, that's pretty sweet

Those xyber 9 toys are kinda cool too, if anyone knows where I can get those AF scale planes(airstiker and skyfighter), let me know.
    I got my Xbox 360 for free, you can too here
    http://www.3604free.com/index.php?ref=4436719
    E-mail me for details.

Here are a few shots of the Black Boa taken from the DVD (flying and landed mode) :
    http://www.sicqnus.com/options/blackboaross1.jpg

Ok then. How many AF size Xyber 9 ships are there (I saw some action figures too)? What is their price (on ebay or somewhere else)? Are they hard to find?
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback