Are Prototypes worth collecting?

Last night I was on eBay, and I saw a bunch of Hasbro Star Wars prototypes being auctioned. I was wondering what you guys and gals think of collecting prototypes, and how can you tell if you have something that is genuine? I bid on and won the pictured prototype, since I love collecting Stormtroopers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luke in armor prototype resized.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	7076  
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    Last night I was on eBay, and I saw a bunch of Hasbro Star Wars prototypes being auctioned. I was wondering what you guys and gals think of collecting prototypes, and how can you tell if you have something that is genuine? I bid on and won the pictured prototype, since I love collecting Stormtroopers.
    I'm not much of a fan of figure prototypes. They are expensive, they come without packaging and (usually) with accessories. There are a great many scammers out there that are dummying-up fake prototypes, too.

Usually, if you're going to buy a prototype, you really want to make sure it comes with a certificate of authenticity from the seller--but not even that is a guarantee that you are getting a genuine article, these days. You'll want to investigate the reputation of the seller, as best you can. Most prototypes won't have the copyright ( date LFL) or "HASBRO CHINA" stamped on them, although the more readily available "first-shots" will. Prototypes are usually in a single-color plastic, as opposed to first-shots, which often use various colors (but not always the end production colors, as these are only "test" figures, remember).

I suppose that prototypes of the modern Hasbro line won't be as insanely expensive as Vintage Kenner ones are, but it's just not an area of collecting that has ever really interested me. However, if you are going to start investing in these, you might want to check out the books on Star Wars figures, like Steve Sansweet's Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive (which really needs an updated edition now) and Tomart's Price Guide to Worldwide Star Wars Collectibles; Collecting Star Wars Toys 1977-1997: An Unauthorized Practical Guide, by Jeffrey B. Snyder; Star Wars: From Concept to Screen to Collectible; and, the recently released Star Wars Super Collector's Wish Book, Second Edition, by Geoffrey T. Carlton.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Thanks! I don't have the money to collect a lot of prototypes, but I liked this one, so I bought/won it. I've seen some others that I've liked, but was wondering how to tell a fake from a genuine prototype. I had purchased what I thought were Kubrick figures on eBay, only to find out later that they were cheap knockoffs that fell apart much to easily. I did end up getting some genuine Kubricks, and when you stand them up next to the knockoffs, you can clearly see the the Kubrick is far superior. I'll have to see when my prototype arrives if it has any of the markings you mention, on it.

If I may...

As with any collectible, if you enjoy collecting it, then it is most certainly worth collecting. Collecting anything as an investment (aside from say - money and gold) is always destined to be a risky venture. Collectibles are ever worth only what others are willing to pay for them. You may be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a figure prototype, but if there's no one else out there who is willing to do the same, then your investment will never turn a profit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay
    If I may...

As with any collectible, if you enjoy collecting it, then it is most certainly worth collecting. Collecting anything as an investment (aside from say - money and gold) is always destined to be a risky venture. Collectibles are ever worth only what others are willing to pay for them. You may be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a figure prototype, but if there's no one else out there who is willing to do the same, then your investment will never turn a profit for you.
    That's Okay though RooJay, as I never intend to sell any part of my collection. I even have tons of Pez dispensers, and I just can't bring myself to part with them. I just thought that here is this piece that there probably aren't that many of, and I could own a few of them. I mean, I too have my limits of what I would be willing to spend on a peice no matter how rare or one of a kind it might be. Maybe when I've departed from the Earth, my son will treasure that one peice, and sell off the rest. Who knows.

Hi,

Back in the days of the old Galoob Buzzboard when we Action Fleet and Micromachine afficionados had a line we could collect <trying not to sound bitter> the Company regularly ran contests for us handful of participants with some excellent prixes. I was one of the winners of the "Design a Ship" contest and I won A Galoob Test Shot Action Fleet TIE Defender. This was in mock-up Action Fleet packaging and it is one of my most prized possessions.

Funnily enough I never liked the EU stuff enough to buy it (apart from Xizors ship and an E-Wing - Thanks to BC3 and VT ) but ended up with this one which I love! In the UK this wave of ships was either not released or very hard to find so I was well pleased.

It is not something I would put on E-bay or sell for profit because of the method I obtained it - it has meaning - and also because my code of collectorship precludes it. Moreover, I like it!

No point to this post (as is typical of my ramblings) but I just wanted to share.

jeddah
    eVerlasTing

Here's a link to a pretty good article about collecting the old Kenner prototypes: http://www.toysrgus.com/images-unpro/proto-article.html
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Well, I got my Luke in trooper armor prototype yesterday. It has the Hasbro markings on it, and the armor is all white, and the face and hair are all peach or flesh color. I noticed that the arms dont bend at the elbows, but then I don't think the trash compactor Lukes figure do either. I've been too busy the last 2 days to compare the two side by side.

Thanks for the article darthzirock.