Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Carpenter book signing in Burbank CA

I had John sign my book and THE THING DVD cover yesterday at Dark Delicacies in Burbank CA. I asked if there was a chance for a The Thing part 2 and he said "no, because the studio would make a comedy of it". Didn't make sense, but if you read his book John Carpenter The Prince of Darkness you can see where he's coming from. Cool guy, wish I could have sat down with him and talked for 10 minutes, but I bet all 150+ fans did also.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    I had John sign my book and THE THING DVD cover yesterday at Dark Delicacies in Burbank CA. I asked if there was a chance for a The Thing part 2 and he said "no, because the studio would make a comedy of it". Didn't make sense, but if you read his book John Carpenter The Prince of Darkness you can see where he's coming from. Cool guy, wish I could have sat down with him and talked for 10 minutes, but I bet all 150+ fans did also.
    One of the few directors whose majority of films I enjoy.

You should of brought a copy of the Christine dvd for him to sign. That's what would of brought.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    One of the few directors whose majority of films I enjoy.

You should of brought a copy of the Christine dvd for him to sign. That's what would of brought.
    He would only sign the book and one other thing. The Thing is a much better film than Christine IMO. He even admits to screwing Christine up in his book.
    (Like my posts)

Ha ha, I know he doesn't have a lot of love for Christine. Which is why it'd be fun to bring it. It's like having Pantera sign some of their albums from their glam era.

Good times

Ha ha, I know he doesn't have a lot of love for Christine. Which is why it'd be fun to bring it. It's like having Pantera sign some of their albums from their glam era.

Good times
    I hear ya!
    (Like my posts)

That book you said he released, is that the one that's got chapters about each of his films?

That book you said he released, is that the one that's got chapters about each of his films?
    That would be correct.
    (Like my posts)

That's the book I've been wanting to read then. They Live, Big Trouble in LCT, and Vampires. I'd like to read Carpenter's thoughts on those films, and quite a few of his others.

Except for In the Mouth of Madness, I didn't care for that one too much.

That's the book I've been wanting to read then. They Live, Big Trouble in LCT, and Vampires. I'd like to read Carpenter's thoughts on those films, and quite a few of his others.

Except for In the Mouth of Madness, I didn't care for that one too much.
    I never saw In the Mouth, heard it was crap. I have never seen The Fog, Is it good? I love the rest of his stuff, but The Thing is the best of the bunch. I saw it in the threater when was young. I don't think my mother knew what kind of horror was in the film, but the dog part scared the crap out of me. It's still my favorite horror film of all time. I never knew how bad it did in the theaters. You should really read the book, because Johns life was really changed after The Thing and was fired from other film because of it.
    (Like my posts)

I've never seen The Fog, well I have but it's been so long now that I can't remember much about it. The dvd is around $9, and I'm thinking of buying it soon, maybe a Christmas gift for myself.

As for The Thing, my dad was a fan of the film and a few years back I thought I'd buy the dvd to check it out properly (we had a copy of it on Beta, so you can guess why I never really watched it before dvd.) But it's an excellent movie, though. My youngest brother who is 8 watched the movie, and he was into that scene where the head acts like a spider.

His more popular work, Halloween, I like it, but I never thought it was as great as a lot of other people do. Carpenter's got a lot of lesser known films that tanked at the box office that are actually pretty good. It's bad to hear about the The Thing doing as bad as it did revenue wise, but the man's got a strong following in horror still, unlike Wes Craven who's all but pussied out in horror.