Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could Anakin's downfall be sympathy for the Clones?

I know this will sound ridiculous at first, but hear me out before jumping to conclusions.

We're starting with a happy-go-lucky slave boy, whose mommy dies and he goes a little nuts. Then he gets married, which is a no-no. It's pretty safe to say his fall to darkness comes about because of his love for and marriage to Padme, and he sides with his friend Palpatine, who wants to kill all those he once held dear.

But is that alone enough to turn him into one of the biggest mass murderers in galactic history?

LucasArts and George Lucas seem to have more control over these enormous media projects than individual EU stories. The Clone Wars seems to be no exception.

On the one hand, we see the Jedi, often as not, commanding Clones from behind the scenes, seeming to take little heed of their humanity.

On the other hand, we have Anakin, always at the forefront of battle with the Clones. He even names the ARC Trooper he works most closely with (Alpha). To the boy who grew up outside the Temple, thinking that all creatures should help one another whenever possible, they are more than organic Battle Droids.

Will he at first justify killing his former comrades due to their seeming coldness to the Clones, thinking he is merely ridding the galaxy of worse killers, then slowly slip further into darkness until he eventually becomes the monster we see in ANH?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I know this will sound ridiculous at first, but hear me out before jumping to conclusions.

We're starting with a happy-go-lucky slave boy, whose mommy dies and he goes a little nuts. Then he gets married, which is a no-no. It's pretty safe to say his fall to darkness comes about because of his love for and marriage to Padme, and he sides with his friend Palpatine, who wants to kill all those he once held dear.

But is that alone enough to turn him into one of the biggest mass murderers in galactic history?

LucasArts and George Lucas seem to have more control over these enormous media projects than individual EU stories. The Clone Wars seems to be no exception.

On the one hand, we see the Jedi, often as not, commanding Clones from behind the scenes, seeming to take little heed of their humanity.

On the other hand, we have Anakin, always at the forefront of battle with the Clones. He even names the ARC Trooper he works most closely with (Alpha). To the boy who grew up outside the Temple, thinking that all creatures should help one another whenever possible, they are more than organic Battle Droids.

Will he at first justify killing his former comrades due to their seeming coldness to the Clones, thinking he is merely ridding the galaxy of worse killers, then slowly slip further into darkness until he eventually becomes the monster we see in ANH?
    I like the concept. This whole "I'm not getting my way so I'm going to be an evil Sith Lord" thing is just too weak to justify his turn to the Darkside. Sure, Anakin being a big crybaby is part of the package no matter what, but there has to be more to it than that.

He does kinda stop to look at his dead stormtroopers as he enters the Tantive 4 in ANH. Maybe seeing so many of his own guys dead made him wanna snap the neck of Capt. Antilles. I think by that point though, he just enjoyed inflicting death by strangulation. He really did have it down to an art by ESB, doing it through a monitor and all.
    Piett
    "Torontogosh! Master Luke inchimini doodoooooo..."

Quite possibly Chux. Who knows what is gonna happen in Ep3 to make him turn. Anakin always had a soft spot for "slaves" or keep being commanded. He thought the Jedi life was gonna be easy. Get a saber fight and protect. He probably feels he went from the frying pan into the fire. But with that theory, why rule the galaxy and enslave 1/2 of it. Anakin was torn and twisted from the beginning. Doubt about leaving his mother, even more doubt when Qui-Gon died. Being raised in the Temple from birth practically is alot different than being thrown in there when you know the ways of the outside world. He didnt have the luxary of being protected as did Ashla, Jempa and Chian. Being under Obi-Wan, he probably still feels like a slave, do this padawan, do that padawan. Dont kiss her Padawan. It would drive me crazy. I would wanna strangle someone too. Palpy saw this and manipulated Anakin when he found out how weak and fragile his mind was at the time. He is being torn in two different directions. And when that happens you just go insane.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think anakin is turning for numerous reasons, but Lucas and many fans would not accept him turning unless there is one big moment that defines the turn. They have to see it to understand. I think that's stupid. I whole-heartedly agree with your concept because in my eye's Anakin is one of the only few people in the galaxy with a warm heart who is being suffocated by the politics of the Jedi, the arrogance of his master, and even the toying confusion of Padme. He truly is a man alone, and Palpatine see's this. That's why he singling him out to manipulate!
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff
    who is being suffocated by the politics of the Jedi,
    When has he even had to experience the politics of the Jedi?

the arrogance of his master,
    Arrogance? What arrogance? He consistently whines that Obi is holding him back, yet when chastised by Padme, he admits that Obi is right. Obi isn't arrogant. He sees Anakin's immaturity and "holds him back" until he develops some. Just because Anakin doesn't like that (yet sees why), he lashes out like a 4 year old who isn't getting his way even though he knows why. It's a confusing and confounding setup for this character.

and even the toying confusion of Padme.
    Huh? They didn't see each other for 10 years. He's lucky she even recognized his pansy-arse. Hayden looks nothing like Jake Lloyd. He has a frolick in the bushes with her, impresses her with his fruit levitating abilities, and winds up marrying the chick. She only pulled back from the relationship once and for good reason...they had decided that it wasn't a good idea to go that direction. And once again, he starts pouting because he's got a woody and isn't getting his way. If anyone is confusing in this scenario, it's Anakin with his wild mood swings and unjustified rantings.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid

Arrogance? What arrogance? He consistently whines that Obi is holding him back, yet when chastised by Padme, he admits that Obi is right. Obi isn't arrogant. He sees Anakin's immaturity and "holds him back" until he develops some. Just because Anakin doesn't like that (yet sees why), he lashes out like a 4 year old who isn't getting his way even though he knows why. It's a confusing and confounding setup for this character.
    Exactly what Obi said to him in Chapter 2 of Clone Wars.

Padawan your skills arent the issue, its your maturity.

Anakin is very immature. He needs to grow up and relax. If he did that and set his mind and wasnt so arrogant and childish, we never would of had the OT.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Exactly what Obi said to him in Chapter 2 of Clone Wars.

Padawan your skills arent the issue, its your maturity.

Anakin is very immature. He needs to grow up and relax. If he did that and set his mind and wasnt so arrogant and childish, we never would of had the OT.

Ahh, maybe so, but now we move into Anakin's/Vader's motivation to hate the Republic so much that he makes a career out of it. Are we to believe that Vader parades around the OT the entire time killing off Rebels and Imperials equally just because he is in a state of arrested development?

I think he has a FTW menatlity. He hates everyone and is waiting for Palpy to kick the bucket to take total control of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I think he has a FTW menatlity. He hates everyone and is waiting for Palpy to kick the bucket to take total control of everything.

To achieve what?