Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones

Cell Phones

Ok, whose service do you use and what kind of phone do you have?

I've been a Sprint PCS customer for about 4 years. I only went with them at first because they were the cheapest. The service that first year or two was very spotty. A lot of places I went didn't have service at all but I've noticed a hugh increase in PCS coverage. Now I can't even remember the last time I was somewhere and didn't have a signal.

I have a 3 year old Samsung 8500 flip phone which has been reliable. I've put nearly 500 hours on it and the battery life is still consistant and does a pretty good job at keeping a signal.

BUT, I keep seeing all these new phones and advertisements for their new features. Are they worth getting? I don't care about fancy ringers but I wouldn't mind a Simpsons ringer. I also am not interested in a picture phone.

Do these newer phones have a superior signal reciever or something? or can I expect the same kind of coverage as my current phone? Also, what phone book editing do they allow. My current phone makes it really difficult to organize phone numbers as I add and subtract them over the course of a year.

These color screens are cool, but what's involved with putting your own pictures on them. Is there some sort of associated cost with uploading pictures and sounds to these new phones?

Any other cell phone users out there?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Nokia 3360. I'm using the AT&T digital provider up here in the Great White North.

The new phones are certainly impressive looking and do appeal to my desire for shiny things with buttons but I am going to fight the rampaging-consumer urge inside of me and renew my contract. Apparently I get the first 6 months local calls free.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

The one thing I like about Sprint recently is the free Sprint-2-Sprint calling. For $5/month you can get free unlimited calls to anyone with a sprint phone, anytime of day. So I opted for the cheapest plan that allows me to do the $5 add-on and I can basically call nearly all my friends at anytime for as long as I want with no fear of going over minutes.

Sprint also just adjusted their nights and weekends back to starting at 7pm. Over the last couple years they moved the "nights" start time to 9pm which is pretty useless at times. You have to sign a new contract for a year or 2 I guess but you gain another 2 hours a day. I don't know if I'll bother since I have the unlimited Sprint-2-Sprint calls.

I have a Nokia and the model is like a 3500 or a 4600 or something. The signal strength is usually good, but what stinks is the battery -- I have to charge it, like, every other day. I turn the phone on and talk to someone for ten minutes, and the battery meter drops a good two levels.
    So unfortunately, my phone spends 95% of the time turned off.

I have a newish verizon flip phone (no idea of the model # but it has LG on it). The coverage is great, but like Anakin2121's phone, it has to be charged every other day. And for some reason after living on my belt for a month, the display screen has become dusty and I can't clean underneath it.

It comes with extras (ringtone downloads, Get It Now, email) but I don't use that stuff. It's just a phone to me so that if I'm on the road, I'm reachable. Plus I leave it on vibrate so it doesn't bother those around me.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Uh, no cell phone. Don't like, don't need, don't want.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

I'm with SprintPCS now and their customer service sucks so bad. My sister got me an LG 1200 flip phone, tiny little sucker, but mine was defective (earpiece jack doesn't totally work) and Sprint will only replace it with a refurbished one, the first of which that I received having a dimmer screen and a broken screw. The phone I have has all its components dedicated to phone calls rather than web stuff or color screen, so it's clear and loud (when it's not cutting out from Sprint's crappy coverage) and has slightly better reception than my old Motorola V-series phone.

I'm on a plan that comes with unlimited Sprint to Sprint minutes, it's a fairly expensive plan but comes with sharint for 2 phones (2000 anytimes and no nighttimes unless you pay another $10, then that's unlimited too) so I'm paying half of the $120 since I'm sharing the plan. I didn't bother going with the PCS Vision stuff, thought I wanted just a phone, then I found out Sprint won't let you send or save text messages on non-vision phones. Jerks! It's built into the phone and they deactivated the feature, I used to use it for note-taking and such.

Sprint's plans are not all that competitively priced here, and while the offers fluctuate wildly, the new 7pm nighttime is only for new customers. The company I'd like to go with but don't have the credit or downpayment for (yet) is Cingular, they have a bunch of features that I really like the look of, like minute rollover and fast-forward, and they're cheaper and offer a wider selection of phones.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My son's mom mailed him a cell phone for some family plan deal that they had. He lives with me in the Chicago area, but his phone has a Florida area code. He gets free weekends and after 9 on weekdays. I don't understand the whole cell phone obsession thing, maybe it's because I come from a day when we had the old rotary phones. I also think that the phone companies are out to take as much money from you, and you don't know if your getting a deal that's right for you. I mean, I hardly talk to anyone, other than an occasional call to my brother or mom. Otherwise I just keep my regular phone line just in case something should happen, but it's costing me about $45 a month, and then another $35 every three months for my long distance. I'm not sure what kind od plan to even look for.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

JT, I agree that Sprints customer service sucks something fierce. I personally have been lucky not to have to deal with them in quite a while. My girlfriend on the other hand.....woo, they suck. I'm somewhat bias to their plans though as I get a pretty good company discount on plans. The only way I think I would get a new phone is if I could find one of those deals where you get $100 off a $125 phone. That was the only way I could afford to get my current phone years ago. Cell phone prices are a rip off. You can buy a full blown DVD or Stereo system for less.