Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Deal Ever!

Best Deal Ever!

Vintage collecting seems to be a quiet area these days, but does anybody have a tale of a great score? Did you find something awesome on the cheap at a yard sale? Did you open up a box of figures bought online and discover a DT Luke?

I never came up with anything super-great myself, the closest I came was a cache of figures that included Blue Snags and a hidden Death Star Rope.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I got Zuckuss (the robot now called 4-LOM) in great shape, minus his gun, at a yard sale only a few years ago for a quarter.

For some reason, I'm thinking I found a second Blue Snaggletooth for a dollar not long afterward. (My dad was a toy department manager at Sears back in the late 70s, so I was one of the very few people lucky enough to have one from the get-go. No vinyl-caped Jawas, though.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I was set up at a toy show selling off some extras. I guy walked in and asked if I bought stuff. I said I did and followed him out to his car. He showed me a shoebox full of figures and some 12" dolls will their boxes. Most of the figures were incomplete and in rough shape. I picked out two I liked and four 12". I offered him $300 because that is all I had. He wanted $350. We settled at $325. Strangly enough my Dad had just come in to check out the show nad I got the $25 off him.

So for a grand total of $325, here is my haul:

12" C-3PO with SW box
    12" Chewbacca complete w/ SW box
    12" Luke complete w/ SW box
    12" Boba Fett complete w/ Empire Box

mint blue snaggletooth - NICE silver paint
    DT Luke - saber tip a bit cracked

So what do you think?
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

Quote Originally Posted by sjd9299 View Post
    I was set up at a toy show selling off some extras. I guy walked in and asked if I bought stuff. I said I did and followed him out to his car. He showed me a shoebox full of figures and some 12" dolls will their boxes. Most of the figures were incomplete and in rough shape. I picked out two I liked and four 12". I offered him $300 because that is all I had. He wanted $350. We settled at $325. Strangly enough my Dad had just come in to check out the show nad I got the $25 off him.

So for a grand total of $325, here is my haul:

12" C-3PO with SW box
    12" Chewbacca complete w/ SW box
    12" Luke complete w/ SW box
    12" Boba Fett complete w/ Empire Box

mint blue snaggletooth - NICE silver paint
    DT Luke - saber tip a bit cracked

So what do you think?
    I think that would be a good price for the small figures alone!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I havent had a great score. The best I feel I have ever done was holding out on ebay for some vintage stuff. I refused to pay 80 + bucks for an Ewok village so I kept scouring Ebay over the course of 2 years. I finally found one with 3 minutes left. It wasnt complete, just missing a stick that holds the skewer over the BBQ section. It came with 3 Ewoks and 3PO removeable limbs. Total plus shipping for it all was 26 bucks.

I also held out for a Jabba throne set for about 6 months and finally got one for 15 bucks with shipping.

I did see a vintage Bossk at a store one time for 10 cents, but he was missing an arm.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

2 recent stories:

My buddy scored a shoebox of loose figs off a co-worker for $80 and there were TWO blue Snags inside, both in great shape, not to mention a number of other common figs. This was like 2 months ago. That's the best deal I've seen in a long time.

I also helped a friend of mine sort through his Star Wars/GI Joe collection and as payment for my help he sold me two mini-figure cases full of M or NM guys (all SW and ESB characters), a complete Dewback, complete closed belly Tauntaun AND a C-8 Twin Cloud Car for $50. He also threw in a mint complete Blowtorch from GI Joe. That was a pretty fun day.

Recently? Nope. Over time? Best deal was probably the $4 awesome condition Blue S-dogg at a flea market (no gun? no problem! ) I, uh, snagged?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Anyone notice a pattern with these awesome deals?
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

They're all awesome in some respect?
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I think my best deals were getting a blue lightsaber and Palitoy Death Star.

The Palitoy Death Star I got for about $100 less than I thought. It was complete with the box (not in the greatest shape) and the instructions. Two of the cardboard pieces have minor rips. Other than that it's pretty good. It was on eBay and got zero bids. I spaced out bidding and contacted the seller right after I realized what had happened. He let me have it for his opening price (which was like $250, maybe a bit more). The seller was very cool about the whole thing.

The blue lightsaber was one of about a half dozen some guy was selling on eBay. He didn't know a thing about SW stuff. I was the only bidder and got the whole thing for under $20 plus shipping.

Some other good deals were the snap Jedi Luke cloak I got in '00 and the DV TIE Fighter backdrop I won. I can't remember the price on either one. Both were parts of lots. The cloak's lot had stuff I needed, so it was a good deal no matter what. The backdrop's lot had only junk in it, but was well under a $100.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane