Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Side by Side comparison of 1979 and 1997 figures

Call me old fashion but I still prefer the old figures, the Royal Guard might be an exception though.

http://robbecher.www4.50megs.com/Figures.html
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: Side by Side comparison of 1979 and 1997 figures

In a lot of ways I'm in agreement with you. This is why, when I first heard that hasbro was releasing vintage style figures this year (The VOTC line), I got very excited. In my mind, I thought they'd be making new figures in the style of the 1979 figures. These would be characters never made in the original line, especially PT figures. A vintage style Queen Amidala, Clone Trooper, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu, Darth Maul, and even a Jar Jar would have been much preferable to what the reality of the VOTC turned out to be.

I, however, have never liked the POTF2 Royal Guard. His arms are too long, and the difference in the red color and the maroon color looks weird.

I think we've done this before in the POTF2 or POTJ sections, but here's my favorite vintage over current versions:

Emperor's Royal Guard (cloth cape, and movable legs; 'nuff said)
    Jedi Luke (cloth cape [that wasn't an Iron Maiden coffin either], cool gun)
    Star Destroyer/Death Squad Commander (not all scrunched up like having a stomach ache)
    R5-D4 (uh, yeah)
    Bespin Leia (although I haven't found the OTC version to make a true comparison)
    Endor Leia (plastic cape and goofy legs just kill the POTF2 one for me)
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I think some of the newer are better than the old, and vise versa. The Newer figures seem to have more definition to them.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think the newer ones are definately better figures but I don't really care for the sculpts. They still seem to bulky compared to how an actual person would be.

I understand what you are saying EP. The newer figures look better, but the older ones were better as Toys and not collectibles
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I love the old figures as well as the new but if I could have all my figures made any way possible I would have to go with Vintage-style.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    The newer figures look better, but the older ones were better as Toys and not collectibles
    That's a good way of putting it.

Well, the Vintage line was meant to be played with, sure, rather than collected for investment or nostalgia's sake. However, the older ones were basically the same shape (straight), while the newer tend to duplicate some scene or pose from the movies. Even "army builder" figures usually have a pose. I can recall being frustrated at times with Han's bent arm, Cloud Car Pilot's "take a drink" arm bend, or Sand People's inability to hold weapons well. And I know I disliked the fact that most droids couldn't hold accessories.

I would be all in favor of "Vintage style" new figures. That would've been cool for the OTC releases. See, Hasbro, we are willing to spend, but it's gotta be the right stuff.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

It's got to be tough for army builders to have every figure sporting a "let's toast our drinks" pose. I much prefer the rigid pose rather than the current method.