Hybrid View

Unhappy Vintage Star Wars Figures - Frost & Bugs!

Here's the deal. I've recently ran across some vintage carded figures and noticed a couple of odd things.

The first thing that got my attention was a few SW-12 Carded figures have a frosty look to them. For an example, one of the Han Solos and two Death Squad Commanders seem to have some sort of crystal growing on parts of them. It's the most noticeable on Han's legs and the DSC's Helmets.

One of those Death Squad Commanders had a few worm like-bugs inside the bubble. I don't see any entry point, but nevertheless, they are there (long dead, of course). I also found those bugs inside a carded die cast Darth Vader TIE. What are those things? Are they responsible for the frosty look of the action figures? I would assume this would hurt the resale value of these toys.

As for value of action figures, some of the carded Star Wars and Empire figures I've ran across are in great shape... but the proof of purchase has been removed; sometimes cutting completely through the card, other times just the top layer of cardboard. I'm not up on the grading scale, but was curious if anyone knows what kind of % decrease this would cause?

Any help is appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hello and welcome.

congrats, those are rare Early Bird Special kouhoun pack-in accessories !

Actually this is the first I've heard of bugs in blisters and frankly I'm creeped out by it. Troubling.

As for the crystalization, yeah it happens and I don't remember reading any sound advice on how to deal with it. I think you may be stuck there.
    I think it just boils down to the fact that these were never intended to be left on card for so long.
    Mmmmm, Boil and Pop.

This thread right here in this very section of SSG might help for the crystalization: Crystalizing figures?
    But bugs on cards? How dreadful!
    How to get them out? My head's full!
    Should I trick them with a snack?
    Should I give the card a whack?
    I have decided just to say
    I don't know any way
    A bug so smug could get dug in that card; the lug!

Sorry I can't help you with your extermination problems, Outsider...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Actually this is the first I've heard of bugs in blisters and frankly I'm creeped out by it. Troubling.

As for the crystalization, yeah it happens and I don't remember reading any sound advice on how to deal with it. I think you may be stuck there.
    I think it just boils down to the fact that these were never intended to be left on card for so long.
    Frosting or crystallization has little to nothing to do with being on the card. It's an age thing. These figures were never intended to last. They were kid's toys. When the kid grows up the toys were meant to go.

As for the frosting, you are stuck with it. The best you can do is slow it down. And for the bugs, they have nothing to do with the frosting. But that is very weird they would be inside the blister. And I Caesar, I'm a little creeped out by it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

The CURE for frosting

Perhaps you old-schoolers know, perhaps you do not. If you have a carded figure that exhibits frosting, place the figure about 4 inches under a 60 watt desk lamp, and give it 20 minutes of good baking. The "frost" will disappear!

I tried this technique today with a MOC POTF Death Star Gunner with frosting all around the head... it worked wonders!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

The problem is that your figures are addicted to crystal meth. You need to hold an intervention. Only rehab can save them from their vices.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I hear opening them and dipping them in honey works well, too.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.