Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lottery...Job?

Lottery...Job?

CHICAGO (Nov. 26) - The Chicago area's garbage strike was a nuisance for many, but now it smells sweet to two lottery winners who had mistakenly thrown their $10.5 million ticket in the trash.

Chicago resident Ezekiel ''Zeek'' Garnett, 27, and his sister, Karen, 24, bought an Illinois Lotto ticket Oct. 4 in Niles but threw it out without checking the numbers. Their mother then heard that a ticket sold in Niles was a winner, and she checked the trash with her daughter.

Thanks to the nine-day garbage strike last month, the ticket matching all six numbers was in a bag still waiting to be picked up, lottery officials said.

''This will definitely help me live more comfortably. But I'm still keeping my job at UPS,'' Zeek Garnett said Wednesday.

She's still keeping her job at UPS, huh. Is this the "right" thing to do? Aside from the fact that she doesn't really have to have a 9-5 anymore, by keeping her job, she is taking the place of someone who probably could really use it.

Thoughts?

It depends I guess. She could become the worst employee they've ever seen. What motivation can someone have when they don't need the job for a livelyhood? Provide a poor quality work and she won't care nor need to worry about repercussions. I know that I probably would do more harm to the moral of the other employees and degrade the quality of the labor efficency. Why do that to your fellow workers?

Now there is a chance that she'd remain a valuable employee but I doubt that it would really last. As soon as work would become boring or difficult (it happens even at the best of jobs) she would either quit or stick it out and slack off.

As for taking money from someone else who would be more appriciative of a pay raise or a job all together. Well, no matter the personal financial situation of an employee they have a right to that job. If someone has 2 kids, should they give up the job to someone who has 6? No. If someone's spouse makes a lot of money should they have a less paying job to "equal out" their pay to their fellow workers? Nope.

There is also a good chance that her job doesn't bring in that much money anyway. Most of the jobs at a UPS or FedEx are low-skill, low education required jobs. Even in tough times they are easily replaceable. On any given day I can find similarly paying jobs in the want ads here. Even if it was high skill profession then she has ever right to stay. A skilled brain surgeon makes a lot more money than the average worker. If he wins the lottery should he step down for some other brain surgeon to step in? I hope not. A persons professional skills are very unique and can be tough to replace or duplicate. If your skilled you might be doing more of a disservice by leaving your job than by keeping some other future employee from stepping in.

As far as I'm concerned she earned the job and only her performance can keep her there. If her motivation disappears then she should be replaced, the same as any non-lottery winning employee.

If it really bothers someone then they should be playing the lottery. The odds are the same for you as the eventual winner to leave with millions in your pocket. As they say, you can't win if you don't play.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I would strongly encourage that person to keep a job. A good number of lottery winners go broke because they don't know how to handle the money. Build a huge nest egg and keep working. A good work ethic goes much further than just a paycheck, anyway.

is keeping her job the right thing to do? .........yes. despite what some say, there are no lack of jobs in this country. just a lack of willing workers.

maybe she enjoys her work. some people actually do love their jobs........but i doubt she'll last the next year there. maybe some reporter will do a follow up on her a year from now and see if she is still employed.

i'd say she should keep working, as she's only gonna probably get 2 or 3 million after taxes and after splitting her winnings, and after her long lost cousins and friends come knocking for their "share". she could easily blow through that in a few years if she isn't careful.

so, stillakid, tell us what you really think? folks who make a few million should quit working so they "get out of the way" and allow those less fortunate a chance to move up the ladder?
    Last edited by derek; 11-27-2003 at 06:05 PM.

Man, I'd quit in a second, in fact I wouldn't even call to tell them I was not coming in. My job is too dangerous to be thinking about what I going to spend my money on next and be 200 feet in the air. I think I'd go back to school and do what I really wanted to do in life. Put most of the cash in the bank, buy my parents a new home and go straight to the Dodge dealer and pick up my White on blue Viper.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    so, stillakid, tell us what you really think? folks who make a few million should quit working so they "get out of the way" and allow those less fortunate a chance to move up the ladder?
    There are arguments either way. I just did this "thing" with a well-known and very wealthy movie producer and I did in fact get to thinking the question, "why is he still doing this?" He doesn't need any more money for certain. I'm sure he absolutely loves his job so why stop? I also met this other guy last week who sells toys for a living (Ebay store) and literally makes millions a year doing it. He told me that it isn't about the money anymore. Really. He was totally sincere. He said he has enough to do everything he's ever wanted. Got the house, got the Hummer, got the toys (not our kind, but rich people kind). So he just continues because...well, because.

So anyway, when talking about jobs like that...highly skilled, or politically placed, or self-made, certainly leaving it would not necessarily translate into an "open space" for someone else to fill. Arguably, there are unlimited positions when it comes to a specialty job or career.

But when it comes to what amounts to a wanted ad kind of job, the woman in question is a placeholder until someone else in need of a 9-5 comes along. This isn't a communist country so she's entitled to keep whatever position she has no matter how much she makes, but I suppose I'm asking this from a more "ethical" standpoint or something like that. There certainly isn't one right answer or anything, and lord knows, I don't know what I'd do if a pile o' cash dropped in my lap, but it's just one of those "hmm?" kind of questions.

For me there are a few things I still want to accomplish professionally for no other reason than personal satisfaction. Beyond that I would love to think that I would keep my current job but that's not something I can honestly answer without being in those shoes. I'm sure that not having to worry about money would lighten my amount of stress at work. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Of course, having tens of millions in the bank could be a full time job in itself. I think my own airplane would be a nice way to start.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I would keep my job just for sheer boredom reasons. I wouldnt wanna get bored at home. Part time would do me fine.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Yes, but if I had that much money, I could be on eBay 24/7 filtering through all the Star Wars goodies! I know I wouldn't work, unless the jackpot was only for a million. I won $1,000 on a scratch lottery ticket, hardly enough to retire on.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I'm sorry, but IMHO you guys that say you would keep your job are full of it. Keep it because you would beored? Man there'a so many things you could do with the cash. I certainly wouldn't sit at a desk or hang off sides of buildings having a boss on you all the time. Beside, everyone at your job would find out one way or another and either want to be buddies or just plain out hate you. There's travel, there's starting a new buisness to keep you rich, there' Vagas. I just can't believe you would keep your jobs?
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)