Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General Mace, Peg Head

Sorry if this has already come up, but this is funnier than "Screamin' Mace." What is up with the sculptors on this guy? This one can go next to my "Takin' a dump" Anakin.

http://systems.figures.com/database/...&sitemid=30664

yeah, it kinda came up in the CW wave 2 thread, but you are right, this mace isn't that great. he looks like a bobblehead figure. the thing that concerns me is that it seems like hasbro is going this way with heads. the new padme coming, asajj, and maybe (i can't really tell from the pic) the captain antilles that is set for next year. i hope this doesn't become a trend, as this kind of head looks really weird, especially when they are next to all the normal head figs.

This new head style isn't really a problem as long as the head covers the ball joint completely like the Clonetroopers in the 3 packs. Asajj looks fine and the only problem with Padme: Lars Homestead is the fact that they didn't paint the ball joint under her head flesh colored. It's actually pretty nice because it increases the range of motion considerably.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

your right about the clonetroopers and helmeted figures like them HB, but i still do not like the style for figs like the padme or mace, i think they look weird. my head is connected to and contours into my neck, it doesn't sit on top of a peg and easily pop off, and my figures heads shouldn't either. i have always wondered, though, why hasbro hasn't used a head/neck design like 3 3/4 g.i. joes, where it allows for a wide range of motion, but doesn't look like a bobblehead. just hope this doesn't turn into a trend on hasbro's part. late 2003 and the upcoming 2004 figs look really good, i hope hasbro doesn't blow it with a needless change in figure design.

Quote Originally Posted by amidalak
    your right about the clonetroopers and helmeted figures like them HB, but i still do not like the style for figs like the padme or mace, i think they look weird. my head is connected to and contours into my neck, it doesn't sit on top of a peg and easily pop off, and my figures heads shouldn't either. i have always wondered, though, why hasbro hasn't used a head/neck design like 3 3/4 g.i. joes, where it allows for a wide range of motion, but doesn't look like a bobblehead. just hope this doesn't turn into a trend on hasbro's part. late 2003 and the upcoming 2004 figs look really good, i hope hasbro doesn't blow it with a needless change in figure design.
    Several figures in the 2003 Saga & Clone Wars lines had multi-position necks, such as The Emperor, Darth Tyranus: Geonosis Escape, and Deluxe Durge. Basically, these were the types of ball-joints similar to the shoulder joints on Asajj Ventress, General Mace, etc. In the case of Asajj, I still say that the pop-off head feature not only looks just fine, but adds the benefit of being able to remove her cloak, while still allowing it to be attached to the figure securely. Yes, Mace just looks silly, but that's maily because his neck is too skinny. If Hasbro's sculptors had made the neck a bit thicker, it wouldn't have been such a major issue with collectors. I don't have a Padme: Lars Homestead figure yet, so I really can't comment on it. Since most ffemale figures will tend to have thin, slender necks, I really can't see it being much of an issue with them. I think both Oola and Aayla Secura--should Hasbro ever decide to revisit these characters--might actually benefit from the snap-on ball-jointing. I don't think I'd ever want to see a Darth Vader with it, but the Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers should be fine.

Again, it seems that the General Mace's socket-jointed head is getting the blame for what I really perceive as more of a sculpting problem. Now, if the neck had to be made thinner in order to accommodate the ball-joint, then, yes, the ball-joint should have been scrapped. However, the Deluxe Durge has a thick neck, and his head is ball-jointed.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

I don't have a Padme: Lars Homestead figure yet, so I really can't comment on it.
    Well, I have the Padme figure now! And, from the front the head looks OK ... but from the side, it looks odd. Again, if it doesn't hurt the sculpt or detract from the figure's appearance, then I have no problem with the snap-off ball-jointed heads. But, for Mace Windu and Padme--big mistake!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Clone Wars mace looks like Emanuel Lewis or somebody else. He doesnt look like Samuel L. Jackson at all!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

just got my cw kit fisto, and his bobblehead joint sucks, too! the way it is sculpted he looks up all the time. i know they gave him this joint so that he could appear to be swimming, but it almost limits him to swimming all the time. and when you position his head to look forward, his tentacles stand a half inch off his back. really disappointed in this fig, the bobblehead drives me nuts and add that to the limited articulation, hasbro dropped the ball here.

Re: General Mace, Peg Head

well i guess boba fet got revenge after all

Re: General Mace, Peg Head

Since you bumped up this thread, I thought I'd chime in.

The peg head trend is continuing at an alarming rate! More and more figures are falling to the Confederacy of Independent Pegheads. Such figures are:
    *Lando Calrissian (Jabba's Sail Barge)
    *Captain Antilles (Tantive IV Invasion)
    *Admiral Ozzel (Executor Assault)
    While it does provide a nicer range of motion, the heads come off too much, especially when removing Lando's helmet (I push on the top and pull on the sides to remedy this). Captain Antilles is the worst, as his neck also slides in and out of his body for Vader's hand to hold better and looks like something when his head is off (something I can't mention here - pull off his head, extend his neck, and you'll see). Admiral Ozzel's neck joint is odd, as he can't really look up very well, and the round end of the peg is gray.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram