Lethal Weapon 5!?

In another example of Hollywood not learning to stop churning out endless sequels, it looks like LW5 might be on the way. I like the series, and 4 was still pretty good. But I don't really think we need another Lethal Weapon. But it appears that Richard Donner and Mel Gibson are both intrested in putting the series to bed properly.

From Dark Horizons:
    "Superman" and "Lethal Weapon" Director Richard Donner is still out on the heavy promotion path for next week's sci-fi adventure "Timeline" and today spoke with Canadian newspaper The Calgary Sun where he hinted that Mel Gibson might be up for playing Martin Riggs one last time:

"I have the story in my head for a fifth and final Lethal Weapon, but it's all up to Mel Gibson. It would be 24 hours in the lives of Riggs (Gibson) and Murtaugh (Danny Glover).

"The last couple of times I talked to Mel, it really seemed he was interested in doing one more. I really want to put the franchise to bed properly."
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Considering that "Timeline" is about to bomb heavily , Donner should have plenty of time to get to work on LW5.

I don't think I've even seen 3 or 4 . . .

Well I was surprised by how much I enjoyed LW4 so I'll see the 5th if it's made but I think it's completely unnecessary. Whats next Die Hard 4.

For the record I wouldn't watch "Timeline" if it was a free showing, that movie looks awful and we all know how great of an actor Paul Walker is. Bombs away..........
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I found LW3 annoying and LW4 so bad I almost walked out, so I highly doubt I'll bother to see LW5. Warner Bros really needs to go away, they are a menace to the cinema, everything has to have a happy ending and a sequel. And it's not like this is new for them, they've been using that philosophy for like 70+ years.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I found LW3 annoying and LW4 so bad I almost walked out, so I highly doubt I'll bother to see LW5. Warner Bros really needs to go away, they are a menace to the cinema, everything has to have a happy ending and a sequel. And it's not like this is new for them, they've been using that philosophy for like 70+ years.

This business runs on one thing...fear. An executive who says "yes" to an unknown idea and to unknown actors is putting his job at risk. If such movie failed, he'd be looking for a job the next day. If it was a success, he'd be looked at as a visionary and given a promotion.

So it is far easier and safer to either say "no," or to go with the tried and true. An executive who says "yes" to an idea with precedent (ergo, a sequel) and "yes" to established actors will have job in the morning even if it fails. Why? Because if it fails, he can point to the past success of the idea and the actors and blame the audience. If it makes money, it only further justifies the case for making more sequels.

It's really quite a simple system once you understand and accept it.

I refuse to accept it, and since Episode I, I have shown this by going to almost NO movies at the theater and very few rentals as well. Stupid idiotic studio system, just mindless corporate thinking - you know how Sony/Columbia came up with the name "Full Throttle" for the Charlie's Angels sequel when they couldn't use the one they wanted? Instead of thinking for themselves, they did a focus group of 13-year-old boys and let them decide which sounded most interesting. That sounds like "hit-me-in-the-head-with-a-hammer" level of stupidity to me, but it's classic corporate thinking these days and that's what the studios are.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I refuse to accept it, and since Episode I, I have shown this by going to almost NO movies at the theater and very few rentals as well. Stupid idiotic studio system, just mindless corporate thinking - you know how Sony/Columbia came up with the name "Full Throttle" for the Charlie's Angels sequel when they couldn't use the one they wanted? Instead of thinking for themselves, they did a focus group of 13-year-old boys and let them decide which sounded most interesting. That sounds like "hit-me-in-the-head-with-a-hammer" level of stupidity to me, but it's classic corporate thinking these days and that's what the studios are.

I sort of meant "accept it" as meaning, this is what it is. Certainly no one needs to agree with it or participate in it, but this is the system like it or not.

On another note, I'd just like to point out to all moviegoers again that movie studios are greedy corporations out to make as much money as possible. I'm sure you knew that, but as another example, the upcoming film COLD MOUNTAIN , about the AMERICAN CIVIL WAR was shot in Prague. If you hadn't heard, the studios have been essentially decimating the labor pool in the States by shipping, literally, hundreds of projects and thousands of jobs per year across the borders so they can hire people at nearly half the pay. You may have heard that the film RUDY: The Rudy Giuliani Story was shot in Canada like virtually all other television movie projects in the last 5 to 7 years. If you've been to the theater lately, you might have seen that hypocrytical sob story about how the common film worker stands to lose his job if people like you pirate movies. This coming from the studio system that, as standard practice now, ships as many projects overseas and borders with nary a thought as to how many people they put out of work right here in America. Now places like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Prague are all very beautiful places, don't get me wrong, but don't let them fool you. The only reason they go to shoot there is because they can pay some desperate soul 40% less than what they deserve for the same or more work. If you really want to make a difference, pay attention to where every film and tv show you want to watch is made then refuse to see it if NAFTA labor is used. People do (did) that with clothes, food, cars, and other tangible goods. Entertainment should be no different.

It is money that drives the decisions as to what films get made, and it is money that drives the way films are manufactured and distributed in "Hollywood." This is a business, no doubt about it.

Amen to that JT, bunch of corporate lackeys that have their heads up their behinds.