Hybrid View

Cover versions: Banjo Iron Maiden on NPR!

NPR has those little interstitial music segments here and there. Most of them I've never heard, but when some come from a genre I recognize, they sure can go deep. Today was the craziest though. After an interview with Jimmy Carter, I heard "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden as interpreted by a Bluegrass band. Pretty crazy. Thought I would share.

Do you have any cover versions of songs you like that are your favorites?

Or weird cover versions you've heard of stuff you know?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

The 2 albums by Apocolyptica are some of my favorites. If you haven't heard them, it's 4 guys with cellos playing heavy metal. The first album was all Metallica covers but the second album was about half Metallica and other metal bands like Megadeth and Pantera. Worth a listen if you're interested in classical interpretations.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Fade to Bluegrass: The Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica
    A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC

Take your pick, bluegrass covering hard rock....that's weird to me.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

bluegrass isn't the only genre to pay homage to metallica. there's also been the punk tribute to metallica and an industrial tribute as well.

at one point there was a thread discussing covers, but i'm too lazy to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Fade to Bluegrass: The Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica
    A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC

Take your pick, bluegrass covering hard rock....that's weird to me.
    I actually like Fade to Bluegrass they do the songs proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    The 2 albums by Apocolyptica are some of my favorites. If you haven't heard them, it's 4 guys with cellos playing heavy metal. The first album was all Metallica covers but the second album was about half Metallica and other metal bands like Megadeth and Pantera. Worth a listen if you're interested in classical interpretations.
    Absolutely, that interlude in the middle of MASTER OF PUPPETS is just beautiful.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 12-08-2003 at 09:07 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Man,I love me some cover songs. I havent heard the bluegrass ones that you guys have mentioned. BTW I had a thread on cover songs awhile back . Check it out.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    Or weird cover versions you've heard of stuff you know?
    That banjo cover sounds nifty, but the most unusual cover song I ever heard was a cover of "Gin and Juice" originally by Dr. Dre (I apoligize if I got the artist or title wrong, it could be Snoop Dog) covered by some country western band.

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard it. Just listening to someone who sounds like Jed Clampett, sing about life in the ghetto, drinking forty-ounces, and referring to women with not-so-nice names just about floored me.
    Last edited by Lowly Bantha Cleaner; 12-12-2003 at 11:47 PM.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I also love Fade to Bluegrass and the Apocaliptica cd's (although I never picked up their third album).