Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

tipping........at Quizno's???

i had lunch today at quizno's, the sub sandwich store. i paid with my check card and noticed when i went to sign the receipt, there was a place for me to write in a tip.

now, i'm all for tipping my waitor or waitress when i sit down in a restaurant for a meal, and especially if i get excellent service, but there is no way i'm giving a tip to some guy who makes me a sandwich and gives me an empty cup so i can fill up my own drink at the self serve fountain drink dispencer.

well, guess what? i get home today and check my account balance online and those idiots gave themselves a tip anyway, even after i wrote a line thru the tip area and wrote the total at the bottom of the receipt.

what's wrong with the world when not only does a fast food establishment think they should be getting tips, but when you don't give them one, they "take" it anyway? what's next, tipping the drive thru guy at burger king?

your thoughts?
    Last edited by derek; 12-10-2003 at 12:10 AM.

Is the tip an automatic thing on all bills there?

So let me get this right, as I've never been inside a Quiznos. I'm going to assume it's like a Subway, right? If so, then I would wonder about the tip thing as well. I mean, if you're having to tip this guy, does that mean you'll need to be tipping everyone responsible for your order at a Burger King.

I don't understand things sometimes.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Is the tip an automatic thing on all bills there?

So let me get this right, as I've never been inside a Quiznos. I'm going to assume it's like a Subway, right? If so, then I would wonder about the tip thing as well. I mean, if you're having to tip this guy, does that mean you'll need to be tipping everyone responsible for your order at a Burger King.

I don't understand things sometimes.
    yea, it's just like subway, except they "heat" the sandwich up.

you know how when you pay with a credit card in a restaurant and it has the amount of your bill, then under that it has a blank space for you to write in a tip amount and then total it up at the bottom?

well, i wrote a line thru the tip area and carried the food total down to the "total" line, which any half way intelligent person who makes sandwiches would see they didn't get a tip.

at the bottom of the receipt there is a print out that says what your tip would be for 10%, 15% and 20%........i gave them 0%, but they apparently overruled me and gave themselves a 20% tip, which came out to $2.91. there is no way they will get that money. i'll contest this charge to the supreme court!
    Last edited by derek; 12-09-2003 at 11:45 PM.

It's like Subways, if they were a high class joint. The sandwiches are over-priced if you ask me, and they're really not much better. I like them, but when a sub costs you like $7-8 bucks, then it's a bit much. And now they actually expect you to tip? That's outragous, it's not like your getting a 'meal meal'. It's a artsy fartsy sandwich shop. I'm utterly appauled that they have a tip section on the reciept, and they actually took a tip, even though you put a line thru it. If you have the reciept anywhere, I'd complain. That's nuts.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yeah, what's the legal thing on someone doing that? Giving yourself a tip.

I mean, you gave them back the receipt with the no tip on it, then they charge you for it, but you don't have the credit to cover it when they charge your card? I mean, it probably would never happen, but what if it did in your case. I'd be mighty mad.

Giving yourself a tip! Ha ha!
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Yeah, what's the legal thing on someone doing that? Giving yourself a tip.

I mean, you gave them back the receipt with the no tip on it, then they charge you for it, but you don't have the credit to cover it when they charge your card? I mean, it probably would never happen, but what if it did in your case. I'd be mighty mad.

Giving yourself a tip! Ha ha!
    yea, why stop at 20%???? if they are just giving themselves tips, why not 100%???

i'll call them tomorrow, and if necessary contact my bank to contest this.

I've seen this at a couple of non-tipping locations but I always assumed it was the software that came with the equipment that was generating the TIP option. Like you Derek, I wrote a line through the TIP section and carried down the TOTAL. I haven't had someone do something like this to me yet.

Obviously what happened to you is wrong if not illegal. Even if you were at a location that would normally having tipping they can't just write there own in. It's your right as a customer to tip what you think is appropriate. If the service really sucks then you have the right to tip a big fat ZERO. The only exception to that is when a resturant automatically includes a tip but I've only seen those for groups of people.

Give'em hell and let us know what they say.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

That's crap, gives the food service industry a bad image, the culprits here should be made an example of. Not only is this totally immoral what they did, but it's also illegal, but surprisingly commonplace. This is why I try to avoid using a credit card at restaurants that are cheapo like Sizzler, and why when I do I hang onto the receipt I sign where it shows exactly how much I tipped (generally $0 since if you use the card to tip, the servers have to claim it in their taxes while cash is up to them to declare or not ). I suggest you contact the DA if you want to pursue legal measures and if the DA has no objections, also contact the district supervisor and get whomever did up the receipt fired. Finally, contact your credit card company and explain to them that this was abused, I know Visa and Mastercard have changed a lot of policies lately due to fraud, I'd love to see this one fixed as well.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ah, geez, c'mon Derek, unanalize your wallet and give the guy a couple bucks!! Seriously, is it so hard to give a guy a few extra bucks for sweating in front of a hot bun warmer and tossing ingridients onto your sub. Does this man not work? does he not bleed? Do you somehow feel like you're better than him just because he's chosen his path in the field of sub making. Just give the guy a tip you cheapskate!

J/K J/K J/K hehehehehehehehe
    Man, i can't wait to see how many feathers i've ruffled!!! actually, this is complete crap in my opinion. I can't believe that a place like Quiznos is asking for a tip now. What's next, will the guy who runs the drive thru at my local McDonalds ask for a tip or some sort of window service fee?!?!! What's this world coming to?!?! This is just another reason I used to buy my food in bulk at sams and just cook for myself......and by "cooking" i mean, like mac and cheese, spaghettios, noodles and soup....real cooking?!?! hell no!!

I'd definately contact the store Manager, their home office reps and your credit card company. Maybe they'll offer you some sort of compensation if you don't press charges. Maybe you'll get a lifetime supply of Quizno's for free!!! best of luck to you, my friend!!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Maybe you'll get a lifetime supply of Quizno's for free!!!
    i'm gonna contact "jackie childs" ASAP!!! he did wonders for kramer. got him a marlboro billboard and free coffee for life!