Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Yes, there have been some outstanding licensed helmets in the past by Don Post. Current prices for his Deluxe models are over $1000 which I would have to believe is driven more by the fan interest and the limited supply than by actual cost of the item. Didn't Don Post pull out of the SW helmet business due to lack of interest in the helmets making them slow sellers? Looking at the popularity of fan costumes I'd have to believe that someone could make a living selling these things in todays market as long as the quality was there.

The Don Post Deluxe, which really were the only ones worth getting, ran around $1,200.00 a piece. Fan made masks can run just about as much depending upon quality, so that seems to be the general price range they'd have to be no matter what. Then add armor, accessories, "soft" goods...

Despite the general "good" that Costuming Fan Clubs do (hospital visits, fund raisers, etc.) I've heard that Lucasfilm isn't keen on the idea of a bunch of non-sanctioned fans running around as "representatives" of the franchise. Apparently that's the primary obstacle to getting an officially licensed full and accurate costume. It runs counter to logical thinking knowing that guys are out there anyway, so you'd figure Lucas wouldn't want crappy costumes out there representing him "de facto," but that's Legal for ya.

It is bizarre that rather than produce his own costumes for his fans to wear, he does nothing of the sort then complains that fans are running around in non-official costumes. If he made them, people would buy them but if he's not then he has no reason to complain.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    It is bizarre that rather than produce his own costumes for his fans to wear, he does nothing of the sort then complains that fans are running around in non-official costumes. If he made them, people would buy them but if he's not then he has no reason to complain.

It's not the quality of the costumes he's complaining about. It's that they exist at all. The thinking on Lucasfilms part is that if there is an event which requires the use of costumed actors, they should be the only ones providing said personnel. On a certain level, that makes absolute sense. It's his intellectual property (the designs of the costumes and characters) so the reasoning follows. Afterall, what if some dope dressed up in a Darth Vader costume and started cursing up a storm in front of a bunch of kids...or worse? I think that's the fear. However, it's one of those "what ifs." As far as I know, nothing of the sort has ever happened so it's just a matter of another corporate legal department dreaming up things to occupy their time. I've seen similar nonsense from other Hollywood studios. Fear runs the business on every level.

Don Post made Deluxe Helmets of Darth Vader and Boba Fett, I've seen them before they're very impressive. The Star Wars Fan Club offered them (back when they offered cool stuff) back in the day.

Rubies has the license. We willl never get Armor because of all the different sizes people come in -its just like clothes. It can be a real hassle and no company wants to deal with that. Now Rubies is supposed to be making deluxe helmets of Clonetrooper, Vader and Jango Fett but I've not heard anything.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

The Rubies prototypes are inferior in quality. Having a closer look at them is very disapointing. The price of the Rubies should be between $650 and $750.

Check this cool page here :

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/
    Scroll down to find the Rubies section on the left.

These are the prototypes (Clone Trooper and Vader's). I read somewhere Rubies finally got the Lucasfilm approval for a production run, I don't know if it's true or not. Well wait and see...
    - "I've never understood Walt Disney".
    Howard Philip Lovecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    Don Post made Deluxe Helmets of Darth Vader and Boba Fett, I've seen them before they're very impressive. The Star Wars Fan Club offered them (back when they offered cool stuff) back in the day.
    They also made a Deluxe BikerScout as well, but in very limited numbers. It's pictured here:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...achmentid=5757 next to my Deluxe Vader.

Say stillakid, where did you get YOUR Darth Vader Helmet?

Say stillakid, where did you get YOUR Darth Vader Helmet?

As they say, I knew a guy. I live relatively close to where Don Post Studios was so I was in a position to know someone who worked there.

Ahh, I have one of those on the TOP of my want list. They're not easy to come by.

Ahh, I have one of those on the TOP of my want list. They're not easy to come by.
    Try here:

http://www.vadermaker.com/

and here: http://rpf.prop-planet.com

and here: http://www.501st.com

for "non-official" sources of fanmade masks. In some cases, they are more accurate than the Don Post versions.