Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: Favorite traditional (or non) Christmas songs

If ya want a Christmas Rap song look no further than Run DMC's CHristmas in Hollis. One of the all time classics.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I usually listen to Bing or the Beach Boys this time of year.

I heard "Snoopy's Christmas" on the radio this year by the Royal Guardsman. Pretty good stuff. He and the Red BAron celebrate Christmas.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Sorry for the late post on this one, but I had to chime in.

I prefer the traditional stuff, but some of the modern isn't too bad.

Frank Sinatra -- Holly Jolly Christmas

Phil Spectre Christmas album -- Entertainment Weekly rated this the best Christmas album of all time. It is good, especially if you like the girl groups from the '60s.

Any Elvis Christmas album.

Beach Boys

It's albums like these that will stand the test of time and people will still be listening to in 100 years.

There's one Christmas CD I have that is old radio broadcasts from Christmas 1945. It's scratchy and pops but interesting to listen to.

I wanted to get the Rat Pack Christmas album but didn't get around to it.

Two nontraditional songs that have grown on me this year--even though I've heard one of them sparingly.

They are the O'Jay's "I Can Hardly Wait For Christmas" and Natalie Cole's "Grown Up Christmas List." Both are kinda sappy, especially the latter, but are two songs that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I haven't heard the O'Jays song that much this year, only once, but I like the harmony of that song.

Another song that I am starting to like is on Canadian stations all the time. It is called "Driving Home for Christmas." I don't know the name of the singer, probably a Canadian known only artist, but it is a song worth a listen to.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Always remembering listening to Bing Crosby, so that is a natural. However, I do dig listening to one particular wacky song.....Weird Al Yankovich "It's Christmas at Ground Zero" Laugh everytime I listen to it.

Otherwise, I am much more of a traditional guy. I dig Carol of the Bells, Greensleeves, and other more subdued songs.

Pearl Jam's song is a good song also though.

I'm sure you mean "holiday song", right KH?

It's hard for me to pick out 1 or 2 songs. I really like the classic instrumental version of "Sleigh Ride". I'm more of a favorite Christmas artist person, Johnny Mathis leading that pack, followed closely by Perry Como and Andy Williams. I'm also a big fan of Mannheim Steamroller's first Christmas album from 1984 (their others were only "meh").
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel18725

Pearl Jam's song is a good song also though.
    YES! I love that song; i was jsut listening to it last night. I'm also hooked on Chris Martin (of Coldplay) and his piano driven "Have yourself a merry little Christmas." He performed it on Conan the other night after the band did "Talk" and Conan took the last verse. It was hysterical. Luckily, it was a b-side to a promo disc of theirs a few years back, so i have a lovely studio version, sans conan.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel18725
    Always remembering listening to Bing Crosby, so that is a natural. However, I do dig listening to one particular wacky song.....Weird Al Yankovich "It's Christmas at Ground Zero" Laugh everytime.
    I have one comedic Christmas CD, and Christmas at Ground Zero is on it. The 12 Pains of Christmas is included, too.

The local WM has a couple of the Twisted Christmas CDs. I might have to buy them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    YES! I love that song; i was jsut listening to it last night. I'm also hooked on Chris Martin (of Coldplay) and his piano driven "Have yourself a merry little Christmas." He performed it on Conan the other night after the band did "Talk" and Conan took the last verse. It was hysterical. Luckily, it was a b-side to a promo disc of theirs a few years back, so i have a lovely studio version, sans conan.
    i picked that song up last year on one of target's exclusive christmas albums. they typically do 2-3 for the season for $5, featuring plenty of new songs mixed with todays artists performing traditional classics. not my favorite version of the song though. i'm more a fan of the muppets/john denver performing it.