Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Favorite traditional (or non) Christmas songs

Tis the season of Christmas music and if you live somewhere on the East, chances are a few radio stations in your area have decided to blare nonstop, 24/7 Christmas music since Thanksgiving week. This is the first time this has happened in my area. Usually, they'll play a mix of whatever format the station specializes in with a few Christmas songs, until December 24th, when they go to all Christmas music. This year four stations that I regulary listen to (two in Buffalo, two in Toronto) have gone all Christmas, all month long for the first time.

Anyway, those who love Christmas music have their traditional favorites (mine are "O Holy Night, Ave Maria, The First Noel, and Do You Hear What I Hear?") among the hundreds of traditional Christmas songs.

The versions of these songs and others, that I must absolutely blast whenever I hear on the radio are:

"O Holy Night" by Perry Como or Johnny Mathis
    "Sleigh Ride" by The Boston Pops or The Ronettes
    "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" by Bruce Springsteen
    "Adeste Fideles" by Luciano Pavrotti

Some of my favorite nontraditional songs are:

"Someday at Christmas" by Stevie Wonder
    "Last Christmas" by Wham!
    "Happy Christmas" by John Lennon
    "It's a Marshmellow World" by The Ronettes
    "The Little St. Nick" by The Beach Boys
    "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney & Wings

What are your favorites?
    Last edited by Lowly Bantha Cleaner; 12-13-2003 at 09:54 AM.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Definately any Christmas stuff by John Williams, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Burl Ives, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Plus BOYZ II MEN's CHRISTMAS INTERPRETATIONS was an absolute masterpiece.
    I really love their rendition of Silent Night on it.

Plus the Pet Shop Boys' IT DOESN'T OFTEN SNOW AT CHRISTMAS is great.
    Exclusive Fan Club disc.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 12-13-2003 at 12:15 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I must say that my favorite christmas album of all time is "A Johnny Mathis Christmas"; at least, I'm about 99% sure that's the title. The cover is a young Johnny with a pair of skis and poles. It's hands down my fave x-mas album, ever, of all time.

I also LOVE "Let me Sleep (It's christmas time)" by Pearl Jam. One of the greatest Christmas songs, ever!

"O Holy Night" by Eric Cartman is good too. hehehehehe
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

1. Mr.Hankey The Christmas Poo (South Park)
    2. Merry F**king Christmas (Mr. Garrison from South Park)
    3. Mistress For Christmas (AC/DC)
    4. Christmas Time In Hell (Satan & Hitler from South Park)
    But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some Star Wars figures!!!

I'm not too into traditional Christmas music, but I like most of your non-traditional songs LBC.

I'll add:
    - Feed The World (Do They Know Its Christmastime), which spawned LiveAID
    - Baby come home, U2

I'll stop there, 'cause I think I'm butchering the names of these songs!
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by jedihunter25
    1. Mr.Hankey The Christmas Poo (South Park)
    2. Merry F**king Christmas (Mr. Garrison from South Park)
    3. Mistress For Christmas (AC/DC)
    4. Christmas Time In Hell (Satan & Hitler from South Park)
    OH YES BUT OF COURSE!!!!!!!!
    Can't forget to put that in the DVD player this year!!!!
    Don't forget Eric Cartman's rendition of O HOLY NIGHT.
    "Jesus was born, therefore I get presents......."
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

i too love 'let me sleep' by pearl jam - it really reminds me of when i was young at christmas but i also like 'the fairytale of new york' by the pogues and kirsty mccoll and 'i believe in father christmas' by greg lake. two classic modern christmas songs.

but if you hear a song called 'don't let the bells end (its christmas time)' by the darkness do yourselves a favour and run!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    I must say that my favorite christmas album of all time is "A Johnny Mathis Christmas"; at least, I'm about 99% sure that's the title. The cover is a young Johnny with a pair of skis and poles. It's hands down my fave x-mas album, ever, of all time.
    Very funny JMG, that was the very first CD I ever bought, when I was 15 years old. It too is my favorite Christmas CD, with a Time Life Treasury a close 2nd. Mathis has released 2 more Christmas CDs since then, but the first remains my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_evazan22
    I'm not too into traditional Christmas music, but I like most of your non-traditional songs LBC.

I'll add:
    - Feed The World (Do They Know Its Christmastime), which spawned LiveAID
    I forgot that song, a beautiful one that is. I remember the video too, with a bunch of mostly washed up British rockers (although I recall Bono, Wham! and Boy George) singing to raise money for Africa.

And Scruff, many Christmas songs by those folks are classics, I especially like Bing and Andy Williams.

I also forgot a few modern gems like "Step Into Christmas" with Elton John & "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" by David Bowie and Bing Crosby.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I own a CD with musical Christmas songs, no singing, but there are nature sounds with it, Loons, wolves, etc. It reminds me of a peaceful Christmas with my family in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Suprisingly enough, the Christmas album I turn to year after year is by Mel Torme. Very soothing sounds to help you relax after a stressful trip to the mall, or a frustrating light hanging session. I also like both albums by Neil Diamond (ironic, as he's very Jewish) and Stompin' Tom Connors (whom you may not have heard OF let alone heard if you're not from Canada) Chrstmas album.

I really love the aforementioned U2 track, "Do they know its Christmas?", and "Christmastime in Hollis" by Run DMC. Now that I have kids, I seem to be enjoying the whole Christmas thing again.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008