Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Like Eternal Padawan said somewhere else, anything by Burl Ives. I can't think of a single non-Christmas song he did, but everyone knows his Christmas stuff.

The entire "White Christmas" CD by Elvis, which collects all the Christmas recordings he ever released on one disc. Best of all are Blue Christmas, Santa Claus Is Back in Town, and his takes on White Christmas, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and Silver Bells.

Any Christmas recording by U2 (they covered Happy X-Mas? really? I gotta find that!) or Bruce Springsteen. Both of them should release Christmas albums.

The classic Motown albums by Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, and the Jackson 5.

All of Merry Axemas: A Guitar Superstar Christmas and most of Merry Axemas 2. (Joe Perry tearing through Blue Christmas is super-classic.)

The soundtracks to Home Alone, Home Alone 2, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Most of the stuff from the A Very Special Christmas CDs. (Though there's always some bad fluff on there.)

Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry, Santa Claus by Sonny Boy Williamson II, and BB King's A Christmas Celebration of hope. There's not a whole lot of Christmas blues out there.

Songs by Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and other folks I think are great singers but don't often listen to.

Other stuff slipping my mind.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Holy Crud El Chuxter, I love Emmitt Otter. That is an awesome avatar. Every now and then, a conversation will come up about Christmas specials and what everyone's favorite is. Some one will invariably say, "Nobody knows mine, it was on HBO all the time when I was a kid..." Instant bonding all over.

"Pa would hock that toolchest!"

Oh, the topic. I love the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

El Chuxter brought up the Motown Christmas CDs which i enjoy around this time of year. Darth Jax, i agree with you on Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You. Arguably my favorite tune during this time of year. And trailing that song by just a little is the Ronettes' Sleigh Ride.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Santa baby by Madona
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Ah, the northwoods of wisconsin...i can almost smell the cheese and beer.
    Come on over ! A nice and festive cheese tray awaits you.

My very favorite Xmas tunes, needing to be heard repeatedly every year, in no particular order:

Spinal Tap, "Christmas with the Devil"
    King Diamond, "Christmas"
    King Diamond, "No Presents for Christmas"
    AC/DC, "Mistress for Christmas"
    John Mellencamp, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"
    Bruce Springsteen, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
    Bruce Springsteen, "Merry Christmas, Baby"

Did anybody see Bruce on Conan O'Brien LAST year doing Merry Christmas Baby? Conan sat in with the band, it was awesome!

Re: Favorite traditional (or non) Christmas songs

Would have bumped this back earlier, but was indisposed for a while.

Anyway, Holiday music seems to start earlier and earlier each year, and this year many local radio stations have been blaring constant Christmas music since the beginning of the month, instead of mixing them into the normal playlist, like they usually do.

Quite a few songs I have grown fond of this year, in addition to the many I listed last year. Many of them aren't new, but a few I believe are. Some I don't know the singer or band's name, so I'll just list the song.

"Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Live Aid --> This song was redone but the new version doesn't impress me.

"Driving Home For Christmas" singer unknown.--> He may be Canadian, because I hear it a lot on Canadian radio. A catchy song about holiday traveling.

"Grown-Up Christmas List" singers unknown. -->I have heard two versions of this beautiful song, one sounds like Natalie Cole, and the other Bon Jovi, but I stress sounds like, because either of them probably don't sing it.

"We Need A Little Christmas" from Mame, The New Christy Minstrels version.--> An older song, but one that is impossible to get out of my head.

Any Phil Spector Christmas produced song, sung by Darlene Love, The Ronettes or The Crystals. My favorite being "It's A Marshmellow World."

Any Charlie Brown Vince Guraldi song--> I am starting to appreciate his music as a fellow (novice) piano player.

Also heard a few kooky, novelty Christmas songs this year, among them "Police Stop My Car" to the tune of Feliz Navidad, "The 12 pains of Christmas" and "Didn't I Get This Last Year?" to the tune of Do You Hear What I Hear?
    Last edited by Lowly Bantha Cleaner; 12-23-2004 at 11:55 PM.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Have any of you heard the song Christmas Rap by the Waitresses from the 80's? It was then redone by Save Ferris in 98. It's not a ghetto rap song, it's like a alternative like x-mas song. Anyways, it's been a favorite Holiday song through the years.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

This year I have been into Frank SInatra and Dean Martin Christmas songs. Dean Martin was slick and Ole Blue Eyes is a forever sweetheart.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    Have any of you heard the song Christmas Rap by the Waitresses from the 80's? It was then redone by Save Ferris in 98. It's not a ghetto rap song, it's like a alternative like x-mas song. Anyways, it's been a favorite Holiday song through the years.
    It's "Christmas Wrapping"

"Bah, humbug!" No, that's too strong
    'Cause it is my favorite holiday
    But all this year's been a busy blur
    Don't think I have the energy

To add to my already mad rush
    Just 'cause it's 'tis the season.
    The perfect gift for me would be
    Completions and connections left from

Last year, ski shop,
    Encounter, most interesting.
    Had his number but never the time
    Most of '81 passed along those lines.

So deck those halls, trim those trees
    Raise up cups of Christmas cheer,
    I just need to catch my breath,
    Christmas by myself this year.

Calendar picture, frozen landscape,
    Chilled this room for twenty-four days,
    Evergreens, sparkling snow
    Get this winter over with!

Flashback to springtime, saw him again,
    Would've been good to go for lunch,
    Couldn't agree when we were both free,
    We tried, we said we'd keep in touch.

Didn't, of course, 'til summertime,
    Out to the beach to his boat could I join him?
    No, this time it was me,
    Sunburn in the third degree.

Now the calendar's just one page
    And, of course, I am excited
    Tonight's the night, but I've set my mind
    Not to do too much about it.

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!
    But I think I'll miss this one this year.

Hardly dashing through the snow
    Cause I bundled up too tight
    Last minute have-to-do's
    A few cards a few calls
    'Cause it's r-s-v-p
    No thanks, no party lights
    It's Christmas Eve, gonna relax
    Turned down all of my invites.

Last fall I had a night to myself,
    Same guy called, halloween party,
    Waited all night for him to show,
    This time his car wouldn't go,

Forget it, it's cold, it's getting late,
    Trudge on home to celebrate
    In a quiet way, unwind
    Doing Christmas right this time.

A&P has provided me
    With the world's smallest turkey
    Already in the oven, nice and hot
    Oh damn! Guess what I forgot?

So on with the boots, back out in the snow
    To the only all-night grocery,
    When what to my wondering eyes should appear
    In the line is that guy I've been chasing all year!

"I'm spending this one alone," he said.
    "Need a break; this year's been crazy."
    I said, "Me too, but why are you?
    You mean you forgot cranberries too?"

Then suddenly we laughed and laughed
    Caught on to what was happening
    That Christmas magic's brought this tale
    To a very happy ending! "

Couldn't miss this one this year!
    Couldn't miss this one this year!

stilla beat me to the proper title.

I really dig the new Barenaked Ladies holiday album (it throws on a few Channakuh songs, so it's not really a "Christmas album"). Both they and Pete Yorn have done excellent covers of "Do They Know It's Christmas." It works better with only one voice (though you do lose Bono's chilling "tonight thank God it's them instead of you").
    Tommy, close your eyes.