Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner View Post
    Another song that I am starting to like is on Canadian stations all the time. It is called "Driving Home for Christmas." I don't know the name of the singer, probably a Canadian known only artist, but it is a song worth a listen to.
    After writing about this song for a few years, I finally did some detective work.

I figured out that the song is sung by Chris Rhea. He is a popular musician in Europe and has a following here in North America, but to a lesser extent. I do not hear his music on any radio station I listen two, and only the Christmas song on Canadian radio (which I am 25 miles away from the border).

When I found out about the artist, I did an Itunes search in hopes of purchasing the song. I would say they had 75% of his songs available off Itunes, but not this particular song. Local retailers had very little of any of Chris's songs.

I knew Ebay and other online retailiers would be other avenues that I could explore, but I didn't want to spend $15 with shipping on a CD for one song. So I kept hoping for an online music store to make that one song available and for two years, no luck. So I finally broke down and ordered the CD off Ebay, cheap, from Argentina and am awaiting shipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Traditional equals for me any of the classics, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and other soft quiet holiday music, Amy Grant, etc basically anything that they play on those stations that have completely gone over to 24/7 Christmas music

non Traditional : Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas (love this CD and just the fact that most of the songs are in key to We're Not Gonna Take It)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra : while they have a traditional sound of instrumental holiday music i put them in the non traditional catagory due to the rock base of the music (going to see them on the 13th....can't wait)
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is essentially the core of Savatage with a backing orchestra. Sadly, as good as Savatage was, it seems they make mad bank doing Christmas songs with the full orchestra. Kinda like how Vince Offer makes mad bank shilling ShamWow, so he won't do a sequel to his movie.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra is essentially the core of Savatage with a backing orchestra. Sadly, as good as Savatage was, it seems they make mad bank doing Christmas songs with the full orchestra. Kinda like how Vince Offer makes mad bank shilling ShamWow, so he won't do a sequel to his movie.
    have to agree with you there Chux. i actually have a few of Savatage's album - currently listening to Dead Winter Dead.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I just looked up Savatage and discovered "Sirens". I remember a couple kids on the school bus playing that song on their boom box way back in the day. I don't know if I ever knew who performed it until now. I wasn't certain if it was the same song because the iTunes clip didn't have the chorus in it, but I found it on Youtube.

Harry Conick Jr's "Santa Claus" is catchy. I enjoy "Sleighride", the version I have is from Aurthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops (no chorus/singing), also not sure which orchestra or conductor, but have a version of the Prelude to the Nutcracker. Bobby Helms "Jingle Bell Rock" and Peggy Lee's "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree" do the 1950s bopper era. And every year my apreciation for the Lettermen's "Oh Holy Night" version grows.

I like nothing modern really. It is just a cheap way for a lot of artists to get a 2nd or third album out and avoid having to pay royalties/song writers. It also helps that I only try to actively listen to this music between Thanksgiving day and the feast of the Epiphany (the full 12 Days of Christmas).
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I just uploaded the 5 disc set of Sufjan Stevens' "Songs for Christmas."

It is hands down the BEST Christmas collection i've ever heard. It's just gorgeous in its simplicity and vocals. Such awesome stuff.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

What were your favorite (regional?) "echoes" after the lines in "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?" Aside from just repeating the last word (like reindeer/reindeer, Rudolph/Rudolph, loved him/loved him).

"... shiny nose" [like a lightbulb]
    "... call him names" [like Pinnochio]
    "... any reindeer games" [like Monopoly]
    "... came to say" [ho, ho, ho]
    "... with glee" [yippee]
    "... in his-tory" [like toothpaste... and I never understood why]

Remember, that this is a youth-friendly website, too.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

been listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas CD. loved this CD as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    What were your favorite (regional?) "echoes" after the lines in "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?" Aside from just repeating the last word (like reindeer/reindeer, Rudolph/Rudolph, loved him/loved him).

"... shiny nose" [like a lightbulb]
    "... call him names" [like Pinnochio]
    "... any reindeer games" [like Monopoly]
    "... came to say" [ho, ho, ho]
    "... with glee" [yippee]
    "... in his-tory" [like toothpaste... and I never understood why]

Remember, that this is a youth-friendly website, too.
    I too remember singing the additions you mentioned BCJ with the exception of the "with glee" line (never added anything to that verse) and our "in his-tory" ended with the words "like George Washington!"

While on the subject, who wants to post their "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" lyrics?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.