Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bands?

Quote Originally Posted by [DSS]Pedr0
    soemone showing their age??
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowars
    Yeah, I was thinking that's the stuff my dad loves. Not to say I don't like those bands, I do. I grew up listening to them, or should I say listening as background music when I was kid.

Yeah, I always tell people I was born in the wrong decade. When I am driving the car with my friends or even with some family members, I always compromise by putting on a progressive rock or classic rock station when I yearn to put on other stations that I might get laughed at for listening.

BTW, I didn't put in any solo, individual singers because the question asked what are your favorite bands. If it did ask that question I would have added Billy Joel, Elton John, Marvin Gaye and John Mellencamp to that list.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

The Beatles! The greatest band of all time.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    The Beatles! The greatest band of all time.
    average pop band, discovered halucinogenic drugs, went wierd, became average psychodelic band, split up. greatest band of all time? not in my opinion.

.....wrote and sang their own music, more recorded fans than any other group in history (Beatlemania), still have the highest tv ratings than any other television appearance (The Ed Sullivan Show, February 9th, 1964), part of the rock n' roll Hall of Fame as a group "The Beatles" and as solo artists, the 1st live radio preformance "All You Need Is Love" and influenced most every modern band and musician- famous or not.

Sorry arctangent, cant argue with history.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    average pop band, discovered halucinogenic drugs, went wierd, became average psychodelic band, split up. greatest band of all time? not in my opinion.
    Wow you just described every band out there.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    .....wrote and sang their own music, more recorded fans than any other group in history (Beatlemania), still have the highest tv ratings than any other television appearance (The Ed Sullivan Show, February 9th, 1964), part of the rock n' roll Hall of Fame as a group "The Beatles" and as solo artists, the 1st live radio preformance "All You Need Is Love" and influenced most every modern band and musician- famous or not.

Sorry arctangent, cant argue with history.
    sorry, i can. just because a group has a massive following doesn't mean they are the best, just the most popular. the kinks were a better pop group and pink floyd were a better psychodelic group. there are loads of modern 'pop' groups who have massive amounts of fans and sell cartloads of cds - doesn't mean they are the best thing out there. so all history shows is that the beatles were more popular than most.

I'm going with Metallica. Surprise, no?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Let's see. Hhhmmm. I didn't listen to anyone in paticular I like everything but when I was a kid, I just listened mainly to top 40 radio, but If I had to list anyone, it was Loverboy or Duran Duran who were my favs back then.

Middle School, my Fav was Bryan Adams

High School - Poison and Led Zeppelin

College - The Doors and Pink Floyd (and a local blues band named Los Blancos)

Now - I still listen to everything, and don't let the names above fool ya, 'cause I listen to everything in every genre, but my Favorite band nowadyas, is Radiohead, Radiohead, and I need more can't get enough of that Radiohead!!!
    With honorable mention going to U2 and STP. But really if it's good music I'll listen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    sorry, i can. just because a group has a massive following doesn't mean they are the best, just the most popular. the kinks were a better pop group and pink floyd were a better psychodelic group. there are loads of modern 'pop' groups who have massive amounts of fans and sell cartloads of cds - doesn't mean they are the best thing out there. so all history shows is that the beatles were more popular than most.
    mmmmm..nnooooooo.. Actually Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost of Rock and Roll! They're the only bands with no real ties to each other that changed and defined how rock music is written, played, listened to and marketed! Everything else or every band thereafter has some how begged borrowed or stole from one of these three bands! I would put the Rolling Stones in as another possibility, but only in regards to writing! Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards probably account for 25-35% of the written rock music from the 60's-80's(which is a huge body of work when you come to realize what that entails). But, once again The Stones mainly followed in the Beatles footseps to success, and why they don't belong in the "trinity"!
    What about the Beach Boys you ask? Good Question! This is a unique quirk in the fact that they truely came up with there own sound and are truely innovators. However, the question to ask, to place them upon the holy throne is, "who did they influence?" Name another rock band that has had any success that the Beach Boys have influenced..? The only ones I can come up with are Jan & Dean, and Smashmouth. Although The Beach Boys are great they didn't really do anything to create Rock & Roll, they just carved there own niche in it!
    Presley is The Originator. The Beatles changed the look(marketing) of Rock Music(hell you wouldn't have stadium shows if The Beatles didn't do it first or with the most success), and I already mentioned their writing contibutions; while Led Zeppelin is the Godfather of HardRock/Heavy Metal, and mainly changed how albums are recorded! In regards to Heavy Metal you might say, "well what about Black Sabbath?". Ozzy will tell you himself that the only reason he got into rock and roll, is because he saw what kind of success The Beatles had achieved, and being from the same area as them, it gave him hope that he could do it too!
    The Kinks and Floyd, also get their influences from the Beatles!
    Who knows, if Syd Barrett never would have died, we maybe talking about Floyd as orginators, but then again without Roger Waters direction, would we have ever had great albums Like 'Darkside of the Moon', and 'The Wall' with Syd Barrett in control? Probably not!

The problem with all of this, is that these three bands pretty much stole everything they did from early American Blues artists! So who's the best? Well, to avoid long heated debates, it's all a matter of opinion anyways, right?! So go with what you like!

well my personal fav would b blink 182, i also like luda and chingy though...
    Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet, how embarassing. - the great yoda