View Poll Results: Would you buy Hasbro action figures of Jaina and Jacen Solo?

Voters
507. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

397 78.30%
  • No

110 21.70%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It's sad that a majority of fans will watch a cartoon show, but not read adult novels.

Time? I probably read 10-20 pages as I lay in bed before falling asleep, or at the breakfast table.

There are times what's written bores me, but it's a good tradeoff for the times I can't put a book down and go 60 pages or 100 in one sitting, because I want to know what happens next.

Classic Star Wars novels have basically fallen along those patterns too:

Really good:

The Paradise Snare - Ann Crispin
    The Hutt Gambit - Ann Crispin
    Rebel Dawn - Ann Crispin
    Courtship of Princess Leia - Dave Wolverton
    Heir to the Empire - Timothy Zahn
    Dark Force Rising - Timothy Zahn
    The Last Command - Timothy Zahn
    Spectre of the Past - Timothy Zahn
    Vision of the Future - Timothy Zahn

most of the NEW JEDI ORDER - (but read these in the order it tells you on the inside of any NJO book) authors include Ron Salvatore, Mike Stackpole, James Luceno, Greg Keyes, Troy Denning, Aaron Allston, Matthew Stover, Walter John Williams

Really bad:

Children of the Jedi - Barbara Hambly
    Planet of Twilight - Barbara Hambly
    The Crystal Star - Vonda McIntire
    The New Rebellion -Kristine Catherine Rusch

Most of the books I didn't mention from CLASSIC expanded universe fall somewhere in between, basically being average.

I do understand that reading anything from the Really Bad list above could turn someone off to the whole idea of ever reading another SW novel again.
    But if you haven't tried stuff from the "Good List," you've just not made an effort.

Most of the paperbacks cost about the same as one action figure, and you need not worry about them going out of stock - you only need to buy another one AFTER you've finished reading whatever you've got now.

I just can't see how 6 movies is enough, or how you can't feel the spirit of being a huge Star Wars fan, enough to buy all this plastic memorobilia, and not want to join your heroes for more adventures, new ideas, and keep it going on.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho... I agree 100%. Some people have obviously been on and spend a lot of time on this message board for a long time judging by the number of their postings... They could use some (or a lot) of that time reading some of these books. I think the young Star Wars fans probably read more of the novels than the older ones do. Young and Junior Jedi Knights, Boba Fett series, Jedi Apprentice etc. are all aimed at them... so I think figures of characters involved in these novels as with other full length novels would do well.

I would add my personal favorite to your list...

I, Jedi

Of course you would have to read the jedi academy trilogy first to just get an idea of how cleverly written the book was. I, Jedi gave me an idea of just how much can be happening at one time... things one novel (or movie) just can't dream of capturing.

In this same reasoning, i hope they go back and do some of the side stories that were originally planned for the Vong Invasion. I read that that was the original idea for that series, but the main story line got roling and no one wanted to venture from it. Now that they have finished that up, I think they could go tell a lot of amazing stories involving Wedge/Rogue Squadron, The Imperial Remnant, The Chiss, the underground network set up by Han's stand in co-pilot (forget his name and species). They could even do real-time stories such as the Evacuation of Coruscant.
    Skeeziks22

I'd buy them,as long as they werent Cartoon Style or really kiddie.We need more than just Jacen and Jaina as well.I like the books,and fallen behind on NJO but I'll just throw up what I know.

Anakin Solo
    Vong
    Tahiri
    Verge,etc

I'd also like to see Nomi Sunrider,Bodo Bass,Vima,and others from the Tales of the Jedi as well
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I would buy NJO-era Jacen and Jaina fig's, providing that they have no resemblance to the pic in Tycho's post.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    I'm curious, those of you who say "no," did you buy the Clone Wars figures including Durge, Ventress, and the ARC Trooper?
    that's cheating, you picked the 3 CW figures I did buy! (though I do regret buying the ARF Trooper, even on sale.) I bought dlx Durge, Asajj Ventress, and the ARF, but I didn't buy Yoda or Mace or Anakin or Obi-Wan or Sassy or Kit "The Grin" Fisto or the basic Durge or any of the 3packs.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Of course, the Clone Wars toys have been successful due to the cartoon series and their close links to the tail end events of AOTC. The EU characters may have appeared in novels, but have no real mainstream support like a cartoon or TV series [yet]. I don't see any more EU being a good toy bet. By the time EP3 has come and gone, there will have been no NJO novels for at least twelve months so the multimedia support for toys based in their characters has faded; ad that's starting from a point where most SW fans don't read the novels to begin with.

My support for Marvel Comics toys stems from their supreme visual impact, something you don't really get from the new comics crowd who don't look that much different from one another, just jumpsuits and blaster belts/lightsabres. You could add little comics to the Marvel series, with condensed accounts of their adventures from the remastered Dark Horse reprints.

Of course, I've already defeated my own arguement for EU toys, haven't I? No current, mainstream media support and they are not going to make much money for Hasbro UNLESS Hasbro are willing to put good money into promoting them, and we know how cheap Hasbro are...

It's sad that a majority of fans will watch a cartoon show, but not read adult novels.

Time? I probably read 10-20 pages as I lay in bed before falling asleep, or at the breakfast table.

There are times what's written bores me, but it's a good tradeoff for the times I can't put a book down and go 60 pages or 100 in one sitting, because I want to know what happens next.

"Sad" is kinda harsh, no? I like my "Star Wars" fixes to be in quick, bite-sized portions, save for the features of course. I like the toys, even if I don't know who Kyle Katern (sp?) is, but that zest to expand my interests into the ever evolving universe of Star Wars that is "over there" never developed. But that has little to do with my current degree of being a "sad" human-being (I may be "sad" for other reasons ). Even when it comes to the Insider, I find myself browsing the pages now instead of devouring every word as I would have done as a pre-teen child. I prefer to throw my reading time into other non-Star Wars topics. (At the moment, I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, of all things.)

I didn't mean it that way. It's great that you're reading though.

As to bite sized portions (man does reading Dracula add a nice pun to this), you can certainly only read 6-10 pages a night before bed (or at breakfast) etc. and have the portion of time you spend in the Star Wars universe be as brief as you want it, and then continue with something new the next chapter later.

What I meant by sad was that reading for pleasure is a now uncommon, but once ancient form of entertainment that has seen a dramatic decline since you could take hand-held video game players with you into bed, and continue those adventures later by a press of the "save game" button.

Classics are just that: time-honored. Super Mario hasn't been around long enough to be a classic. Time will tell if video game programming will be regarded as a cultural art. Meanwhile, skateboarding is a sport, and most people can't ride while they are in bed - so reading is still a viable and (could be) a very exciting option.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I would love to see a 4-pack, with Anakin Solo and Tenel Ka also thrown in.

I didn't mean it that way. It's great that you're reading though.
    You didn't think my incredible literary comprehension skills arose from hours of hammering away at ROGUE LEADER, did you?

Meanwhile, skateboarding is a sport, and most people can't ride while they are in bed - so reading is still a viable and (could be) a very exciting option.
    For those of us with "mates," we sometimes manage to find other nocturnal activities apart from reading or watching The Tonight Show.