Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool Transformers Alternators

I scored the new Alternators Smokescreen last night, and am quite impressed. A worthy update of the classic character. Sure, they changed the coloration, but they kept the ridiculous emergency light on the top, which was an unexpected nice touch.

Transformation is very similar to the original, but far more intricate. It took me over ten minutes to figure him out, and the wordless instructions are little help. The articulation is excellent, and the price ($19.99) is a steal given the size increase over the original, inflation, and the quality.

I understand VW refused to license the New Beetle for Bumblebee, but hopefully sales (and renewed interest as the buildup for the film begins) will make them reconsider.

But Sideswipe and Hound are on the way, and I believe these are properly scaled to go with the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime that no male geek will possibly pass up. Maybe this is the TF equivalent of the collector-based 12" GIJoes.

Primus knows they beat the crap out of anything Beast Wars, Armada, Robots in Disguise, or Energon.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I just wish I could find them.

And whatchya talkin' bout "emergency light" on top? Smokescreen doesn't (and shouldn't since he's a stock car) have emergency lights.

I believe he's actually a rally car, not a stock car, but neither would have an emergency light on top that I know of.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, let's see a WRX out on the track at the next NASCAR race and see how well it fares against the rest of the pack.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't mean it like that. I mean I didn't care.

Anyway, I got Smokescreen tonight and WOW!! Best transformers ever! (Untill MP Prime)

Is the Smokescreen a Target exclusive? Someone asked me to pick it up if I saw it, but I only saw it at WM. He thinks it's a Target Exclusive, because that's where everyone seems to be finding him.

jiM

I don't think they're exclusive to Target, but that seems to be the only place anyone's finding them. I understand that Sideswipe was recently found at a Target as well, so keep your eyes peeled.

Of course, practically everything TF seems to be exclusive of late, so I could be wrong.

From what little I hear about Transformers (I defer to Adam and JT on this subject; no matter how many vintage toys and comics I have, I know little of the new figures), the American version of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is only expected to ship to Target (for $50) and TRU (for $75).

And as for the "emergency light" comment earlier. . . uh, um, I must've confused him briefly with either Prowl or Red Alert. D'oh!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

He's not a Target exclusive, it's just that TRU and WM aren't putting them on shelves as fast or aren't shipping as many to stores - I have heard sightings from all 3 major chains.

Chux, rumor has it that TRU will get Masterpiece Prime first for a month or more at $75, and then Target and maybe others will get it at $60.

So I finally got my Smokescreen tonight, yay! The hip articulation is not quite as good as what Chux leads us to believe and the shoulders are a little limited, but this is still an awesome figure. Transformation is a tad complicated, transformation back is even worse. Most folks have trouble with the legs, but except for some minor adjusting at the end, these are similar enough to RID X-Brawn that I was already used to how to transform back. The area I have the most trouble is getting the arms in and out of the front end.

Oh, and a couple weird things, his gun accessory's hinge doesn't take to being transformed, it pops halfway out. And a friend of mine confirmed this on his Binaltech (the Japanese version) of this figure, the right doors don't align properly in alt-mode just like the ones on this Alternators version don't - it's fairly slight, but apparently there's just some wonkiness here that keeps this side from lining up properly even when the left side is perfectly aligned.

I passed him up two weeks ago due to lack of cash and now i cant find this booger. Heres hoping he pops up soon at Walmart so i can score one. I think he looks awesome in his vehicle mode.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay