Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Jabba the Hutt & Dais Playset...

I was having an exceptionally bad day last Friday so I decided to haul out all of my old STAR WARS toys from the attic. I sat there on the floor re-assembling the Death Star, Turret & Probot, Dagobah (need to replace that foam "swamp") and some of the other things I had. I took out my vintage Jabba the Hutt and marvelled at how nice of a job Kenner had done on him. There was so much detail and accuracy in the sculpt. A friend came over and was talking with me as I was putting him back in the box. He saw the POTF2 Jabba that I had just gotten on special from Entertainment Earth and commented on how I should put THAT one in the box and leave the vintage Jabba out.

The colouring on the vintage one is also more accurate than the most recent sculpts of him. It's kinda sad, but interesting how we actually took a couple steps backwards when re-sculpting a larger character. I love the "waterpipe"/"froggy dish" and the prison dais and the Salacious Crumb. I also discovered that I had two Crumbs that came packaged in the set. Can one have enough Kowakian Lizard-monkeys?

I was feeling pretty good by the end of the evening remembering the "old days" and thanking Kenner and Uncle George for the memories that totally turned my day around.

OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Yeah, that was a pretty cool playset. Remember how when you got the little catalogs for ROJ thay had Jabba and the ewoks blocked, so you couldn't see them before the movie and "ruin" the suprise? This is the only vintage figure I have displayed with my newer figures. jabba's up there on his dias with half dozen dancing girls (Rystaal, Greeta, Lym Me, oola, Leia, and the orange chicky from Watto's box). A jawa with a frond (from a cheapie dinosaur set with fake trees and boulders that I cut down to fit.) Assorted goons ( Barada, Nikto, Klaatu, Weequay, pote Snitkins, Ree Yees, Saelt Marae, Tamtel Skreej, Bib Fortuna), and a couple Gamorrean guards and Boba Fett. Plus, Han in carbonite. And the band. yessir, it's a groovy diorama with good ol' vintage Jabba right smack dab in the middle.

Thumbs up

When I got this set for Christmas, it proved to me that Santa Claus existed, because my mom had said that she would never get me that toy, since it was so vile and gross. But no! Mine is missing the string from the hooka pipe, and the bowl is really loose and dirty, but mostly intact.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Yeah, that was a pretty cool playset. Remember how when you got the little catalogs for ROJ thay had Jabba and the ewoks blocked, so you couldn't see them before the movie and "ruin" the suprise? This is the only vintage figure I have displayed with my newer figures. jabba's up there on his dias with half dozen dancing girls (Rystaal, Greeta, Lym Me, oola, Leia, and the orange chicky from Watto's box). A jawa with a frond (from a cheapie dinosaur set with fake trees and boulders that I cut down to fit.) Assorted goons ( Barada, Nikto, Klaatu, Weequay, pote Snitkins, Ree Yees, Saelt Marae, Tamtel Skreej, Bib Fortuna), and a couple Gamorrean guards and Boba Fett. Plus, Han in carbonite. And the band. yessir, it's a groovy diorama with good ol' vintage Jabba right smack dab in the middle.

Did you break into my house and take my diorama?

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    I was feeling pretty good by the end of the evening remembering the "old days" and thanking Kenner and Uncle George for the memories that totally turned my day around.
    That was before George became the emperor and made the "Special Editions" and when Hasbro made that SE Jabba with Han and that Jabba Glob toys....aahhh the horror of the modern day horrible toys!!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I liked the Jabba glob. It's really neat when he pukes like that. Always a crowd pleaser.

Thumbs up

The Vintage Jabba was a beautiful figure. I just wish they would release a new upgraded version.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Gonna have to take A shot At Rollo here and Stillakid if Rollo has the same diorama as you! Slave Leia and Frozen Han in the same scene, geeze you guys are slippin' I thought you true fans would pay better attention to these very important details! I got my vintage Jabba when I was 6 from Santa as well to this day it is still by far one of the best pieces period. Jedi partner get those bad boys out of storage and display 'em always, when ever in the dumps am I always go to the toys their is nothig like A whole bunch of Star Wars toys to make you fill all harm inside, Well maybe A good lookin' chick could do that too, I guess, but A good lookin' chick with A whole bunch of Star Wars toysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssss oh sorry I zoned out that would be one sweet chick...
    Last edited by Sith Worm; 12-15-2001 at 12:22 AM.
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

How could I "not" display Slave Leia? She's in every display.

originally bidillioed by SithWorm
    Slave Leia and Frozen Han in the same scene, geeze you guys are slippin' I thought you true fans would pay better attention to these very important details!

I also have Boushh and Slave Chewie standing in there, too!

Honestly, my apartment's not big enough to have two dioramas of Jabba's palace. One with Han in carbon, Chewie, and Boushh. And the other with Slave Leia and Jedi Luke. So I just sort of mushed 'em together...Plus I don't have two vintage jabba's...