Thread: The Young Ones

Hybrid View

The Young Ones

I have seen this TV DVD advertised and the cover makes me want to buy it. it looks hilarious. Can anyone fill me in on if I should. I love British humor.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Oh yeah ... The Young Ones is very funny. I think you'll dig it, there's only like 12 episodes, but they're all classics. It's crazy, absurd stuff, with great characters and some really good guest bands poping in from time to time.
    plasticfetish.net

Cool!! I think I will now.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    I have seen this TV DVD advertised and the cover makes me want to buy it. it looks hilarious. Can anyone fill me in on if I should. I love British humor.
    The few episodes of The Young Ones that I managed to catch were all screamingly funny. The humor is very absurdist, sort of Monty Python meets Johnny Rotten. A very young Rik Mayall (1991's Drop Dead Fred, King Herod in 2000's Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar) shows great promise, and the rest of the cast -- especially Adrian Edmondson as punker Vyvyan Basterd -- are equally amusing. I highly recommend this short-lived (as were most Britcoms) series for laugh-out-loud hilarity.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    I recommend it highly but only if you like lowbrow slapstick comedy. some of the jokes though are highly tuned to British tastes and experiences. Also you get bands such as Motorhead and Madness appearing in it. You may want to check out what is essentially the sequel series which is Bottom. It is more modern and maybe more accessable.

Quote Originally Posted by odb
    Also you get bands such as Motorhead
    Alright, sign me up for that.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Motorhead does "Ace of Spades" on the show. Priceless.
    plasticfetish.net