Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Midichlorians: Doing things the Hard Way

"Lucas: The midi-chlorians have brought Anakin into being as 'the chosen one' who brings balance to the universe."

The Making of Episode 1, Random House, 1999.
    Special thanks to resident JJBs for quoting this article elsewhere. It got me to thinking: If the Midichlorians had the power to spontaneously conceive a human being, wouldn't they also theoretically have the power to kill one as well?

That being the case, instead of creating a "chock full o' Midichlorians" savior for the galaxy, why didn't they instead just poison Palpatine's blood and nip it in the bud from the start?

Well, I don't think the Midichlorians specifically conceived him to be the chosen one. He was conceieved by the Midichlorians, so he was destined to be the chosen one. The Jedi's foresaw this 'spontaneous conception' and based a prophecy on him. I don't think the midichlorians themselves actually have an adgenda, they just are.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    Well, I don't think the Midichlorians specifically conceived him to be the chosen one. He was conceieved by the Midichlorians, so he was destined to be the chosen one. The Jedi's foresaw this 'spontaneous conception' and based a prophecy on him. I don't think the midichlorians themselves actually have an adgenda, they just are.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    I don't understand the distinction you're making.

Well, because that would make for a very short movie. I see your point though. Was Shmi the chosen mother?
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.myspace.com/storetroopers"]www.myspace.com/storetroopers[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.caboodleforums.com"]www.caboodleforums.com[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Caboodle is a anything goes forum page, we could use some good forum topic starters if anyone is interested.[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][FONT=System][SIZE=4]$6.99 for a 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figure, with so many Star Wars collectors paying this kind of scratch for one figure and the cost of gas for driving from store to store, I can see why our econmy is in a slump![/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

The only sense to be made is that midi's were a stupid thing to add into the storyline and by doing so GL muffed it up.
    [COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]Is traveling through cyberspace like dusting crops?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by CropDuster
    The only sense to be made is that midi's were a stupid thing to add into the storyline and by doing so GL muffed it up.
    If you read the thesis that was written on them, they actually really arn't that stupid of an idea. I like the inclusion, but that's just me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree with JJB. I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT. I am glad Lucas included the Midi's in the PT. They help explain many things such as the biological aspects behind this "force".
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarthVader
    I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT.
    I almost never buy this as a reasoning, not just on Midis, but any film element that requires you to read some EU book or website to help straighten things out. If Lucas the filmmaker had really lofty and grand ideas that bring the midis to a greater fruition, then I think it was his duty to put more of those concepts into the film when we are primarily introduced to them, otherwise I think they come off as nigh-useless CPDs as currently portrayed. Personally, I still think my theory that QGJ was wrong about them makes them work on other levels, but since this is just as much an outside theory, it only works to me and anybody who subscribes to my theory as an after-the-fact patch-job.

* (CPD = contrived plot device)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree with JJB. I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT. I am glad Lucas included the Midi's in the PT. They help explain many things such as the biological aspects behind this "force".

I agree with JT. As an audience member, I shouldn't have to "take the time" to seek out and research what the filmmaker meant to say in order to understand and appreciate his intent. It's his primary JOB to put anything pertinent in the movie itself and not slack off expecting that his story will be explained later on in a book or on the DVD label. As it stands, the Midi's primary purpose in TPM is clearly as an easy way to "show" the audience that this kid has Force potential...and that's it. There is no other purpose for that element to be in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    If you read the thesis that was written on them, they actually really arn't that stupid of an idea. I like the inclusion, but that's just me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Oh, silly me, I forgot about THE thesis.
    C'mon this subject has been covered thoroughly and midi's obviously just complicate things since there were never EVER any implications of their existance in the original movies and from a biological standpoint they are impossible and paradoxical.
    Put simple: GL dropped the ball.

Wrong.
    They make no sense biologically, but then again I probably just need more time to learn about midi's their purpose.
    [COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]Is traveling through cyberspace like dusting crops?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]