Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

There's always a Big[ger] Fish

I'm kinda surprised no one's started any kind of discussion about Big Fish, which comes out Thursday (Boxing Day Eve ). This is the latest Tim Burton movie, which stars Ewan MacGregor and is about, well, I don't know what it's about, but the fact that it's a new Tim Burton movie is more than enough reason for me to go see it this weekend. That guy can do no wrong. (Yes, I am keeping in mind Mars Attacks!, Batman Returns, and Planet of the Apes, all of which I liked.)

Seriously, it looks like a story about a guy who thought his father lied to him for years about just about everything, because his stories were so fantastical. . . but they may turn out to be true after all. Of course, that's just from the TV spot, so I may be waaaaay off.

The soundtrack came out today and has a new Pearl Jam song, along with some great classic tracks. But I've not heard that part yet, as I'm completely hooked on Danny Elfman's score. This should be the one to finally earn him an Oscar to display in his bathroom. It's got all the best aspects of several of his scores (it's somewhat akin to Beetlejuice, Sommersby, and the instrumental parts of The Nightmare Before Christmas), but goes above and beyond anything he's done before. Of the scores I've heard on CD and during the films this year, this is easily the best.

And the cover of the soundtrack confirms that this will not be the first Burton film to not feature those trademark gnarled trees that he seems to love so much.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 12-23-2003 at 03:35 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

You're right Chux, i'm also surprised nobody made a thread about this. I was taken with this flick the first time i saw the trailer. Hell, you can ask JBFF once he makes it back to the boards, i was downright moved by it.

USA today gave it nearly a perfect review and the score, from what i've heard, is fantastic. I just loved the different aspects of the trailer, from the crazy (the baby sliding down the hall) to the fantastic ("when you meet the love of your life, time seems to stop" or whatever he says; that's close enough!)

Word on the wire is that this flick has some definite oscar caliber in it and i hope it gets recognized. I know it's up for a few Golden Globes, but that would rule if Ewan got an oscar!! Can't wait for the wider release on thsi flick! cheers!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

It does look interesting. I had to see the trailer a second time because the first time I was like "What the heck was that!!!!!"
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

It does look weird...but cool! I'm in and I'll be seeing it within a week of its release.....looks kind of like a feel good movie too! Always happy to see one of them.

Yeah, my wife is dragging me in to see it on X-mas. It look OK a guess. We will see.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Ebert & Roeper said it just kinda runs out of plot and then just does its Burton thing for a while. While I'm still a wee bit leery of Burton's works since the aforementioned Mars Attacks, Batman Returns, and most especially Sleepy and Hollow (and there was nothing short of being paid that could get me to go to the theaters for Planet of the Apes), this seems more like the type of thing where the plot taking a time out could work for me. But, the marketing on this one has been pretty lackluster, so it doesn't pop out in my mind very often, which is almost certainly why I won't be seeing it in the theaters unfortunately.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Ebert & Roeper said it just kinda runs out of plot and then just does its Burton thing for a while. While I'm still a wee bit leery of Burton's works since the aforementioned Mars Attacks, Batman Returns, and most especially Sleepy and Hollow (and there was nothing short of being paid that could get me to go to the theaters for Planet of the Apes), this seems more like the type of thing where the plot taking a time out could work for me. But, the marketing on this one has been pretty lackluster, so it doesn't pop out in my mind very often, which is almost certainly why I won't be seeing it in the theaters unfortunately.

I'm with you. I haven't really loved a Burton film yet. The guy is a Production Designer, pure and simple. He got the keys to the studio and gets to drive the Directing car now. His movies look great, but the stories are always weak at best. Of course there's no incentive for him to stop directing, but he could be remembered as a GREAT Production Designer instead of being a lackluster filmmaker.

This movie's based on abook, so if the storie's messed up, it's not Tim's fault. My sister's gonna get this book for Christmas tomorrow so I wonder if it'll be any good. I think it said in Entertainment that Tim Burton said he didn't want to say much about the movie, cause apparently that's how they did it a long time ago.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    This movie's based on abook, so if the storie's messed up, it's not Tim's fault. My sister's gonna get this book for Christmas tomorrow so I wonder if it'll be any good. I think it said in Entertainment that Tim Burton said he didn't want to say much about the movie, cause apparently that's how they did it a long time ago.

So anytime a movie is based on a book and the movie is bad it is not the filmmaker's fault?

Big Fish

Anyone else really looking forward to this movie? I'll miss it this weekend but I'm hoping to see it the weekend after. The visuals just looks awesome in the trailers.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.