1080i DVD players and HDTV

Visiting the folks for the holidays, and my dad has a new DVD player with the component video that has the 1080i specification. Apparently it delivers HD resolution form DVDs.

All I can say is it is miraculous. If you have an HD ready TV and do not have one of these DVD players get to the store. The difference was more astounding to me than the leap from VHS to standard DVD. Finding Nemo looked nothing short of amazing!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    Apparently it delivers HD resolution form DVDs.
    Well, it's important to understand that you are getting a higher resolution of an inferior picture. HDTV is of a higher resolution than our standard DVD but until the DVD's are produced in HD the picture quality will never get that good. It's like taking a color picture of a black and white picture. Sure the picture is color but it can't improve on the orginal, only hope to reproduce it as close to 100% but never better. HD DVD's are on the horizon though.

Even with that being true, some of the new progressive scan dvd's do an amazing job of displaying DVD's and the quality is really shown through on a HDTV. I've watched a few movies that way and it can be like night and day compared to a standard DVD player on a standard TV.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I can't wait for HD-DVD, even with my non-HD 27" TV (it does have double the standard resolution), I can see standard DVD's limitations too often. Then I go into someplace like Fry's and check out their HDTVs that are playing specialized DVD programming and it's so amazing, it's like EP said about progressive scan - vhs to dvd.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.