Versions of movies best on Laserdisc, not DVD.

With the possibility of the original cut of the OT never being released again and a number of other flicks that are on DVD that are not true Director's cuts that were on VHS. Any of you Laserdisc conesiurs out there got some recommendations for movies that are on LD that are better version than what is on DVD or to be on DVD?
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    With the possibility of the original cut of the OT never being released again and a number of other flicks that are on DVD that are not true Director's cuts that were on VHS. Any of you Laserdisc conesiurs out there got some recommendations for movies that are on LD that are better version than what is on DVD or to be on DVD?
    I keep a Laserdisc player lying around for just this purpose. For my tastes, there are two movies which have LD releases that surpass their DVD counterparts, both of which happen to have some Lucas-pedigree.

The first is "Random" (Starring Mel Gibson, Directed by Ron Howard). The LD has an extended edition with 11 (I think) addtional, worthwhile minutes. As of yet, this version has not made it to DVD. With his upcoming DVD release of "The Missing" (Starring Tommy Lee Jones), I'm hopeful that they might decide to re-release an updated version of "Ransom". But considering that "The Missing" didn't do very well, I may have to wait until the DVD release of "The Da Vinci Code" (2005).

The second movie that makes my LD player necessary is "The Game - Criterion Collection" (Starring Michael Douglas, Directed by David Fincher). The LD has lots of bonus material not available on DVD. I kinda doubt that this version will ever make it to DVD since there seems to be some issues with distribution rights. But if you ever get a chance to see it on LD, it has audio commentary, documentaries, and an ALTERNATE ENDING!! The LD goes for $50-100 on Ebay, so there seems to be sufficient aftermarket appeal. Hopefully that will urge the powers-that-be to re-release this film onto DVD.

Then of course, there's always OT, as well as the Definitive Collection. I suspect that most. if not all of the bonus material found in the Definitve Collection will make it to DVD, but I keep that around just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ljlove

Then of course, there's always OT, as well as the Definitive Collection. I suspect that most. if not all of the bonus material found in the Definitve Collection will make it to DVD, but I keep that around just in case.
    Yep just got it off e-bay the other day!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Re: Versions of movies best on Laserdisc, not DVD.

Here are a few of the laserdiscs I have which I feel are better than their DVD counterparts for various reasons:

-Star Wars: The Definitive Collection
    -Dawn of the Dead: Director's Cut -Elite
    -Halloween- Criterion
    -Blade Runner- Criterion
    -The Killer- Criterion
    -Hard Boiled- Criterion
    -Night of the Living Dead- Elite
    -Menace II Society- Criterion
    -Bram Stoker's Dracula- Criterion
    -Highlander: 10th Anniversary Edition Director's Cut
    -Dances With Wolves: Extended Cut (4 hrs)
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

How's the Night of the Living Dead laserdisc from Elite different from the Elite DVD release?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

The problem I had with Elite's DVD was a software problem that effects Sony DVD players. Making it difficult if not impossible to view the supplemental materials. Unfortunately this effects me because I own a Sony DVD player. The LD's supplemental materials were more extensive up until the release of the Millenium Edition. This version might be better because Elite did promise to fix the Sony problem on future releases but I've never bothered to check because the DVD doesn't offer any new material that my laserdisc doesn't have. It does contain a re-mixed Dolby Digital sountrack if that sort of thing interests you though. Personally I prefer the monaural audio track for this film.

So basically the main reason I prefer my laserdisc is because it was the 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition and the Disc Jacket is really cool and original looking containing liner notes by Stephen King, Sam Raimi, and Tom Savini. Out of all my LDs that I listed this is the only one I could by on DVD and get everything I have here, so it's more of a personal choice rather than an issue of content on this one.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Yeah, I have that Millennium Edition. I've never played it on a Sony DVD player, so I can't say if the problems are gone with it or not.

As for liner notes, it only has one from Stephen King...none from Raimi and Savini.
    Back and more bearded than ever before