Master and Commander

Anyone seen this one? I love the idea of a pirate movie! That's what it is? Isn't it?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

i saw this when it first opened, and hated it. i really enjoyed russel crowe as an actor in his previous films(he should of gotten the oscar for "the insider", not gladiator) but his character in this film was about as interesting as a tree stump. if you want to see a film set in the same era, but a better movie, rent "the bounty" starring anthony hopkins and a young mel gibson.

this isn't a pirate movie, just a boring film about the british navy slowly chasing and being slowly chased by a spanish ship. the film's final battle is poorly photographed and so smokey, that it needed a narrator.

if you want to see a "period piece", skip this and "cold mountain" and see "last samauri".
    Last edited by derek; 12-28-2003 at 09:52 PM.

Re: Master and Commander

I saw this on DVD yesterday and really liked it.

The most amazing thing is the production- the ships look amazing and you can almost smell the salt. If you have a tricked out 5.1 setup the sound is incredible. As for the story, it is pretty simple. The British ship must capture or destroy a superior French warship. The character drama doesn't quite take off as much as it should, but while the movie slows down, it never becomes even remotely boring. Sometimes it was hard to keep some of the lesser characters straight because they were all dressed the same.

If you like tactical naval warfare movies, such as Red October or heck, even Wrath of Khan, you will probably enjoy it.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I agree completely. This is a great film, one of my favorites from last year and an incredible DVD.

I found myself getting way more into this story than say, "Pirates of the Carribbean," simply due to the realism and how well it captures life at sea. The cinematography is breathtaking and the Galapagos Islands make for an amazing backdrop. The acting is quality accross the board, especially by Paul Bettany who plays the ships doctor.

It's a very unique movie that any fan of Naval history should love.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I bought it... but haven't watched it yet. Thankfully there are more good reviews than bad here, mabye I didn't waste my money (like I usually do).

I was going to watch it tonight, but I scored "Ichi the Killer" today at Tower (couldn't resist, I love these "artery spray" flicks). I think that's gonna be the feature film for tonight!

I really enjoyed the movie. I haven't read any of the books but I hope that they actually make a few of the others to continue the story.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.