Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No one has been able to get Hoth Han right in the post-vintage era, and few Death Star/Star Destroyer/Death Squad Troopers were good, either.

Others upon which I still agree:
    4-LOM (the "wrong" one, the Gand huntsman, the non-droid)
    Hoth Leia
    Han trench coat
    Poncho Leia

They've been getting a little better lately with some, but most are too scene-specific to me.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Vintage Sculpts vs Modern 1995- Which is Better

Just curious to know who think some of the vintage sculpts/figures from 1978-1985 are better than todays.

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head who are better in the Kenner vintage line than from the 1995-present line.

Yoda- none of the other modern day yoda's come close. They all look bad from 1996 to present.

Jawa- everyone loves jawas but the versions from 1996 to current are not as good as the vintage despite 3 jawa versions since 2008. 2 in legacy with the various droids and the clone wars version.

Bespin Guard Black/White will take the vintage over the new bespin guards just released. Yeah the new ones have more articulation but they have problems. Hat doesnt stay on, the black one painted who looks white I have heard other complaints on the forums about that and the alien one too. Just give me the ones we saw in the films the ones from the Kenner vintage line.

Those are my top 4. Might be some others. Feel free to chime in forumites. Thanks. MTFBWY!

I would agree about the Jawa. Until Hasbro can match the quality of Kenner's soft-goods, then no modern Jawa will ever hold a candle to the vintage figure in my eyes.

Most of the Jabba's Palace figures: Bib Fortuna, Ree-Yees, Yak Face, Gamorrean Guard, Weequay, Squidhead, the Rebo Band and Jabba himself are better than their modern counterparts.

I would also pick the Emperor's Royal Guards, I haven't liked a single modern version of this figure.

The vintage Ugnaught holds up pretty well. The original Jabba the Hutt on some people's radar is better than the Beast, Glob, or even Ultra/Deluxe versions.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I'll see if I can find the older thread on this topic and merge threads. But in the meantime...

The Emperor,
    TIE Fighter Pilot, and
    Lando Calrissian: General Outfit

are much better than any post-'95 versions, to me.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I'll see if I can find the older thread on this topic and merge threads. But in the meantime...

The Emperor,
    TIE Fighter Pilot, and
    Lando Calrissian: General Outfit

are much better than any post-'95 versions, to me.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Hi bigbarada,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yes I forgot about the Emperorís Royal Guard you are right on that one. I agree that none of the modern ones are as good as the vintage one. Also the vintage Jabba too. Perhaps we will get the ultimate Jabba later this year, since Hasbro said he is in the works and maybe he finally will be worthy as the vintage one. We should be getting a new Gamorrean Guard too I think this year maybe it will be just as good as the vintage one. You mentioned some good figures that are worthy for the debate. Thanks. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Can you think of any others? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Hi Bel-Cam Jos [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Good choices too. Emperor is a good one better vintage than any from 1995 on and same with Lando General also. Maybe for the 30th anniversary of ROTJ we will get a Lando General in the Vintage collection line. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Well if they can do a 30th anniversary Boba Fett with firing rocket in vintage style as a mail away and the Toy R US Classic 4 pack from 1995 maybe they should do some of the figures mentioned above in the vintage style format. Doubt Hasbro would but they should!![/FONT]

I think the ROTS Imperial Guard, while not perfect, is a fine figure. I also have to disagree that one Emperor figure from 1999 is much better than any before or since, including vintage. Only thing is, it wasn't actually called "Emperor Palpatine"; I'm talking about the TPM Darth Sidious figure. The Evolutions Sidious is probably the next best one.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I think the ROTS Imperial Guard, while not perfect, is a fine figure.
    The idiotic EU armor under that figure instantly disqualified it as a "Emperor's Royal Guard" in my mind.

But if you don't like it, don't take off the robes.

EU or not, I find armor that resembles what Stormtroopers wear to make a lot more sense than the medieval tunic thing the vintage one had.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

1986 POTF pop up lightsaber R2-D2 is by far better than the one we got in the late 90s. They have yet to do this figure justice in the modern line!