Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Vintage Superior to Modern

Are there any vintage products you consider to be superior to their post 1995 counterparts? I think the following Vintage Products are superior or at least as good:

Jabba the Hutt- the Dias Jabba sits on makes the difference

The Snowspeeder- way better than the POTF2 version, equal to the POTJ version.

TIE fighter- at least we had some electronics!

What do you think?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

(We might have done this before)

Time to make a list:
    VINTAGE vs. "MODERN"
    Han Hoth / POTF2 Han Hoth
    Emperor's Royal Guard / POTF2 Emperor's Royal Guard OR POTJ Coruscant Guard
    Max Rebo Band / Rebo Band pairs
    Landspeeder / POTF2 Landspeeder
    Han's blaster (all black, any film logo) / Han's blaster (orange? ORANGE?!?)
    Any Micro World scene / Any Micro Machines scene
    Jawa Sandcrawler / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
    Twin Pod Cloud Car / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
    Death Star playset / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
    Others?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I forgot about Han's blaster! A relic of the good old days when th ecops wouldn't imagine a ten year old having a real gun. I forgot about how cool the old school micro machines were as well.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I liked the vintage Bib Fortuna, Emperor's Royal Guard, Biker Scout and Jedi Luke figures better than the more modern ones we've been given so far. The old Han's blaster and Stormtrooper rifle were great. Tons of fun.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

i think the vintage packages were superior to the newer ones. The whole card is a picture straight from the movie of the guy you were buying! Makes better displays IMO.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]ok make me stop talking, it's not interesting anymore[/FONT]

I think all of the ROTJ figures are superior to their post '95 counterparts. The top spots of list are Royal Guard, Endor Han, Jedi Luke, Bib Fortuna, Poncho Leia and any Ewok. Yoda, Hoth Han, Yak Face and General Lando also make the list. Most of the vintage playset rock, none for modern do. Most of the vehicle are also way cool in their vintage incarnation than their modern. The expiations are:
    F/X X-Wing, way better than the vintage
    POTF2 Snowspeeder, better electronics and could shoot the harpoon
    Saga Landspeeder, bigger and better paint job
    AT-ST, same
    Speederbikes, same
    Skiff, same
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    Jabba the Hutt- the Dias Jabba sits on makes the difference
    I just thought of this; being dropped into the Rancor pit would've been better than being so close to Jabba's body in the Kenner toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobajames
    i think the vintage packages were superior to the newer ones. The whole card is a picture straight from the movie of the guy you were buying! Makes better displays IMO.
    I agree wholeheartedly! Backs of cards were much, much better as well.

Other better Vintage ones:
    Star Destroyer or Death Squad Trooper/POTF2 Death Star Trooper
    Land of Jawas playset (with Escape Pod)/ _____ (insert unproduced product here)
    Lobot/POTF2 Lobot
    Hoth Rebel Soldier/POTF2 Hoth Rebel Soldier
    R5-D4/POTF2 R5-D4
    In-box catalogs/crappy POTF2 and later "catalogs"
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Both the Micro Collection and the Micro Machines series were great.
    I still prefer Micro Machines over the Micro Collection because MM figurines werenīt made out of metal. Probably one of the reasons for this lineīs downfall.
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] "You havenīt LEARNED anything, Anakin!"
    -Obi Wan Kenobi (AOTCīs Forbidden Love trailer)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal]Bashing the Prequels is like bashing sex.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    In-box catalogs/crappy POTF2 and later "catalogs"

The Kenner catalogs rocked! As a kid I'd drool over the few that I had. I still have a two ROTJ catalogs mostly intact and the pages of some ESB. A few years ago I picked up a SW and ESB and its got me itching for more. I can't as the same about Hasbro's.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

The vintage cardbacks were far superior to any of the garbage ones in the newer lines. From the picture on the front to the checklists on the back, the vintage cards were clearly made for collectors.

I'll bring up the vintage cards. Though in many respects the new cards are better looking, their price completely negates the positives about them. As a kid with little money, being able to go to the local store and put down a buck for 3 packs of Empire Strikes Back cards (with, what, 20 cards a pack or so?) was a great way to re-live the movie (no VCR's back then). So for a pure cost vs. value evaluation, the vintage collector movie cards win hands down.