New to the GameCube -- what are the "musts"?

I gots me a brand new shiny GameCube for Christmas, along with Clone Wars, Rogue Squadron II, and Return of the King. Hardware-wise, I have an extra controller and one memory card.

I plan to get the Gameboy Adapter soon, as I have tons of old Gameboy games (and love many that I don't own and can probably get pretty cheap). I've also seen in my area one of the Harry Potter games (Sorcerer's Stone, I think) for $12.89, and Best Buy has Rogue Squadron III on sale this week, so I might get those, too. Jedi Outcast and Bounty Hunter (that is available on GameCube, right?) will likely be joining my collection soon, too.

Aside from that, what are the absolute "must haves" that I should get? Any hep here would be hot!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Jedi Outcast and Bounty Hunter are indeed on the GameCube. I would also suggest the following.

Super Mario Sunshine
    Luigi's Mansion
    Pikmin
    Animal Crossing
    Metroid Prime
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Star Fox Adventures
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time: Master Quest
    The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
    Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 0
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I've had my cube for a couple of months now and I love

Mario Golf: Toadstool tour
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    TMNT
    The Star Wars titles, although Clone Wars is/was lame to me and I never play it.

The Sonic collections are pretty good too.

As for the game boy adapter...I have one also and it only works with the new game boy advanced games. The resolution is bad on a TV and to still do 2 players you need an additional gameboy advanced an extra game and the hook up cable. I tried mario kart, a few pinball games and the mario sets on the game cube. The resolution is bad and grainy that I just got tired and I'm sticking to playing them on the game boy advanced. I have the unit that's attached the bottom.

But have fun.

Hmm. That sucks about the adapter. I think I'll reconsider it. I know the packaging says it plays older GB games, but Nintendo was never known for making quality equipment when it comes to the old GameBoys. (Anyone have an original one with a still-functional screen? Anyone? Bueller?)

Is there a collection of the older Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros games available?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yea the old mario games are for the game boy advanced and the original super mario is for the old game boy color. If you go to ebgames.com you can search them all out.

They even have the old super nes mario games (baby mario, the yoshi games) for the advanced...and they tossed in new bells and whistles with the old games. Like in SMB 2 they fixed a boss, made some huge enemies and you get more hearts and can bet with the coins at the end in the slot machine. They also have an egg hunt and large coin search once you finish the game. SMB 3 they call it Mario 4 for GBA...has all this extra stuff you can do it you have one of those card readers and buy those card packs.

If you get into the PC emulators there are plenty of sites where you can get old nes and snes games for the PC...I have all the old nes games on the PC and my old favorite snes for the PC that I still play. Gotta have my mega man...and super mario....

Oh yea, I did a search at ebgames on the game boy player for the cube...it says it will play the old games, but I've never tested it and I guess my visual recgonition on the size and shape migh have tossed me for a loop. I'll give it a shot tonight. On another note, I still have a original game boy that works, and a old game boy color that barely works...
    Last edited by Vortex; 01-05-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Hmm. That sucks about the adapter. I think I'll reconsider it. I know the packaging says it plays older GB games, but Nintendo was never known for making quality equipment when it comes to the old GameBoys. (Anyone have an original one with a still-functional screen? Anyone? Bueller?)
    The Game Boy Player does play most older GB and GBC games.
    There are some exceptions though. In addition, I still have my original grey Game Boy as well as my Game Boy Advance, and it still works fine.

Also, the original Mario Bros. and original Super Mario Bros. games are available on Animal Crossing. The catch is you have to have the e-Reader to get Mario Bros. the legit way and Super Mario Bros. is (as of right now) completely unobtainable without a cheat device like Action Replay.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Metroid Prime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Bad Panda, No Bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Musts....must owns for Gamecube...

Super Smash Bros. Melee. It's fun alone and with others. Great replay!

Metroid Prime. Best first person action gameplay you'll find on Gamecube. Great side missions like scanning enemies and other things to earn bonuses.

Eternal Darkness, if you love Lovecraft stories, then this is a game for you! This game can be played through three different times which unlocks one great and shocking ending!

If you like Resident Evil, buy RE and RE0.

Those Star Wars games....Bounty Hunter is an alright game. Not much to do once you beat it once. Picking up the bonus bounties is fairly easy. I liked it.

Jedi Outcast, if you have a PC, buy the PC version. I bought it for Gamecube, and it's alright, but not one of the best ports from PC to console. But if you don't have a PC to play Jedi Outcast, then owning the console version is good.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Don't forget Simpson's Road Rage, Mortal Kombat: DA and all the Rougue Squadron games.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the info, y'all!

I finally bought my first game yesterday. (Well, I had the three I got for Christmas, but this was my first actual purchase.) Costco had Bounty Hunter for $12.89! I know it's not got the most glowing reviews, but I couldn't pass up a chance to play as Jango for that price.

Looking forward to finishing some of my other games (I beat Clone Wars at the easiest setting in just a few hours) so I can justify to my wife getting more.

I know I could track this down, but I'm lazy right now. Are there any cool secret ships or characters or whatever in Clone Wars or Bounty Hunter? And if so, how do I get 'em?
    Tommy, close your eyes.