Move over, Velvet Revolver. Yet another GNR/STP spinoff's in town!

From http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...music_eo/13228:

Robinson to Front New Band?
    Wed Jan 7,12:25 AM ET

By Sarah Hall

Coming soon to a stadium arena near you: the Black Temple Roses?

Former Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson (news), Robert and Don DeLeo and Eric Krets of the Stone Temple Pilots and possibly some former member of Guns N' Roses are joining up to form a new supergroup, according to the New York Post.

Each aforementioned band has either been placed on extended hiatus or dissolved beyond recognition to the collective mourning of rock fans everywhere.

Robinson left the Crowes in 2001 amid internal squabbling with bandmate and brother Rich, and set out to launch a solo career. His 2002 release New Earth Mud included the song "Katie Dear," a tribute to his bride, Kate Hudson (news), who is due to deliver the couple's first child any day now.

The DeLeo brothers and Krets became involved in a make-up, break-up relationship with STP bandmate Scott Weiland (news), whose drug addictions landed him a jail sentence and repeated rehab stints, causing the band to resort to extended hiatus status.

No information on which former members of Guns N' Roses, if any, would be signing on with this latest in supergroup formations; however, several of them have already signed on to other projects.

In fact, this latest amalgamation of Crowes, Pilots and Roses is not to be confused with the other Pilots-Roses merger, otherwise known as Velvet Revolver, which features the embattled Weiland on vocals and the instrumental talents of Slash, Duff McKagan (news) and Matt Sorum, all late of Guns N' Roses.

Velvet Revolver's long-awaited debut release is set for spring, and the band plans to tour beforehand in Europe and Asia before returning to the States to promote their as-of-yet untitled album. No word on when the new Robinson-fronted band will lay down some tracks or hit the road.
    Wow! Robinson was the head of one of the greatest 90s bands until Kate Hudson came along and Yoko-Ono'd them. To hear he might take on members of two other great bands is good news indeed.

But what former GNR members? We can assume that the members of Velvet Revolver (Slash, Duff, Matt, and sometimes Izzy) and Axl's GNR Cover Band (Dizzy) are out. Which leaves:
    Gilby Clarke
    Steven Adler
    (possibly) Izzy Stradlin
    any pre-Appetite for Destruction fellows
    anyone who was in the band for a week between The Spaghetti Incident and the present
    The Suicide Horns (okay, now I'm pushing it)

I have no idea (without checking liner notes, which I don't have access to at the moment) what instruments the DeLeo brothers play, so I don't know if Steven's even an option. So we're left with (discounting very minor players who no one remembers) Izzy and Gilby, two very talented "second guitarists" with very similar styles. Personally, I'm hoping for Izzy, since he's post-GNR solo career has been more in line with the Southern Rock/Rolling Stones type music that the Black Crowes played. But I'll be super-happy if it's either of them.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, the Deleo brothers play bass and guitar.

Interesting to note, they call Dean by the name Don in that article....and spell Eric's last name wrong.

One other note, the original NY Times article says "some ex-members of Guns N' Roses"....notice members being plural, contrary to the article Ms. Hall has written that Chux quoted.

Guess we'll wait and see.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Re: Move over, Velvet Revolver. Yet another GNR/STP spinoff's in town!

Haven't heard much about this BC/STP thing since the story first broke. It feels like it was rushed due to the typos, perhaps it was just a rumor at that point.

But Velvet Revolver's album "Contraband" will be out in early June. The first single "Slither" should be hitting US radio stations in the next few weeks!
    I'm a big time STP/Scott Weiland fan, so I'm pretty excited about this.
    And years ago, before discovering STP in 91-92, GNR was my favorite. How often does ones favorite bands, past and present, get together?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

First of all, the term "supergroup" is thrown around WAY too liberally.
    I have a supergroup in my basement and that would be my McFarlane lineup of duel vocalists Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne, Angus young on guitar, Jason Newsted on bass, and Eric Carr with the sticks.
    Rob Zombie and Jimmy Hendrix might do guest spots. Ditto Jim Morrison.

When I was a kid, I think I even heard "supergroup" in the same breath as Arcade. Okay, Ratt was a band with a few cool songs and lord knows I LOVE Cinderella, still to this day, but Stephen Pearcy and Fred Coury joining forces does not constitute a supergroup.

And when the band Union was formed . . . I'll try to go easy on them because I kinda liked them, but right away all the press releases focused on "John Corabi (ex-Motley Crue) and Bruce Kulick (ex-Kiss)" Now, I actually kinda liked Corabi's work with the Crue (I blame Nikki more than anyone for how the record turned out) and I'm a HUGE Kulick fan (and in his defense he WAS a member longer than Ace ) but this name dropping is out of hand.

I mean, seriously, even Damn Yankees were BORDERLINE "supergroup" and those names are (were) bigger than Chris Robinson (granted, a bona fide "big name") with the brothers from Talk Show and a few GNR employees not named W. Axl, Slash, or Izzy (sans JuJu Hounds).

Speaking of Izzy, I was just playing Use Your Illusion I and man do I ever love You Ain't the First and Double Talkin Jive. What a pair of great songs.

I eagerly await the inevitable divorce of Robinson and Hudson.
    a) I'll finally get my chance with her.
    b) Kurt Russell should have kicked that burnout's *** for even THINKING of proposing to Kate.

Chux - does your list of exGNR include Teddy Zigzag ? I hope not because I always enjoy him at Alice Cooper shows as he works the keys.

Sorry that the bulk of my post is off topic.

Totally forgot about Zigzag. And I doubt Shannon Hoon would be too much use.

Okay, judging from some news slipped into this thread, Buckethead could be a member of the new band. I don't see his style meshing too well with anything Chris Robinson's ever done, though.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I decided against making a Shannon Hoon reference.

Chux, what are you talking about ?
    Chris Robinson eats at KFC all the time so of course he'll fit in well with Buckethead.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I eagerly await the inevitable divorce of Robinson and Hudson.
    a) I'll finally get my chance with her.
    "Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson announced their separation in August 2006 and divorced in October 2007."