Thread: Yo Joe?!?

Yo Joe?!?

I found an interesting article at http://www.bwbmtransformers.com/inde..._from=&ucat=6& and http://transfandom.com/main/news/news.php?id=3124. There both articles on ToyFare's covering of Toyfair, as listed in the new Previews magazine.

Both articles, though, end with an odd sentence:
    "A Punisher and G.I. Joe the movie covers are available for $4.99 each."

Bad grammar aside, it sounds like this is talking about a new GIJoe movie. Or is someone mistaken? Has a Joe movie actually made it past the rumor stage far enough for there to be a cover on Toyfare in a few months?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, I don't follow Joe news at all, but I did some searching at Yo Joe! and I came across this press release from September:

HASBRO TO BRING G.I. JOE TO THE BIG SCREEN IN FULL-LENGTH, LIVE-ACTION MOVIE

- Film Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura to Develop And Produce -

PAWTUCKET, R.I., September 16, 2003 - Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) announced today an agreement with prominent film producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura to develop and produce a full-length, live-action feature film based on Hasbro's legendary G.I. JOE brand.

"A G.I. JOE live-action movie is a natural," said di Bonaventura, a film producer and former Executive Vice President and Head of Worldwide Production and Domestic Marketing for Warner Brothers. "Three generations of children grew up with the G.I. JOE brand and after nearly 40 years, it's an honor to be able to bring the saga and its characters to life on movie screens."

"A live-action film will deliver high energy and non-stop excitement to the millions of fathers and sons that share awesome memories of G.I. JOE," said Brian Goldner, President of Hasbro's U.S. Toys Segment. "Lorenzo has an amazing track-record for picking winners in the entertainment industry and we are thrilled at his enthusiasm and approach towards the G.I. JOE brand."

When Hasbro launched the G.I. JOE brand in 1964, it gave the world its very first "action figure" and defined childhood for millions of fans around the world. Since then, G.I. JOE has come to symbolize patriotism, honor and courage, and is one of the best-selling male action brands of all time. With double-digit increases in toy sales over the past four years, it is clear that a new generation of boys have discovered the excitement of the G.I. JOE brand.

"The depth of the G.I. JOE brand provides incredible opportunities to integrate the property into many lifestyle areas," said Jane Ritson-Parsons, President of the Hasbro Properties Group. "From a highly successful publishing program to a wide variety of relevant consumer product categories, we are able to involve fans of all ages into the adventurous world of G.I. JOE."

While at Warner Brothers, di Bonaventura oversaw production of the Harry Potter series of films, the Matrix series, and Scooby-Doo, among many others. He is currently producing the Warner Brothers feature film Constantine, starring Keanu Reeves, and based on the comic book Hellblazer.

Creative Artists Agency (CAA) made the deal on behalf of Hasbro and di Bonaventura.

The Hasbro Properties Group develops and expands Hasbro, Inc.'s (NYSE:HAS) core brands, such as G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY and CANDY LAND, into a wide variety of entertainment and consumer categories.

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Ugh, that could be one awful movie to watch. Anyone remember He Man: Master of the Universe with Dolph L.? Blah!
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

More news on the upcoming G.I. JOE Movie. And hey, I liked the He-Man movie. It wasn't Shakespeare, but it wasn't that bad. And how can you not love Frank Langella as Skeletor.
    G.I. Joe Field Report
    A brief update on the feature film version.

January 28, 2004 - IGN FilmForce has learned that the live-action feature film version of G.I. Joe is "definitely" set-up at Paramount Pictures with former Warner Brothers exec Lorenzo di Bonaventura producing and Michael Gordon (Frank Miller's 300) scripting.

We were informed that it is a "done deal" and that there could be an announcement in the trades as soon as February.

G.I. Joe will use the characters popularized by the 1980s animated TV series, comic books and toy line as the basis for the new film. We've been advised that the big-screen Joe will be "set in the present with a high concept."

Look to IGN FilmForce for more news on G.I. Joe as it happens!
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I thnk I'll stick with the animated movie. I like that one. Live action movies like this always tend to bomb. Look at STreet Fighter and He-Man.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I thnk I'll stick with the animated movie. I like that one. Live action movies like this always tend to bomb. Look at STreet Fighter and He-Man.
    1) No, I won't look at those, you can't make me watch them again!

2) You forgot possibly the biggest offender of all time, Super Mario Brothers.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    2) You forgot possibly the biggest offender of all time, Super Mario Brothers.
    Yes I had forgotten about SMB.(wow thats my initials) and thank you for drudging it up in my memory banks
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

It was cruel but had to be done. If we don't remember the lessons of the past, we are doomed to repeat it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The one that I find to be the most frightening is the concept of a live action Transformers.......Sorry, I just can't get the thought of the horrible Power Rangers in their "voltronesque" robots.....this could be horrible....besides, who is going to be the John Wayne Optimus Prime?