Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Barney Miller, hands down.

OH boy, now you guys are really starting to date yourselves.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

What's with the lack of British sit-coms on everyone's lists? As much as I enjoy American sit-coms, I believe British ones are the greatest!

Here's my faves:

Red Dwarf
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers
    The Brittas Empire

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Thank insomnia, I couldn't sleep at all last night. So ended flipping stations late last night. And ran across one of my other favorite old sitcoms. Mama's Family. God, I used to love that show. I wish they'd release that on DVD. I'd buy every season. Gotta love ole Mama Harper.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Surprised that no one's mentioned them, I throw out Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy.

Short-lived though they were, Working, Wanda Sykes, Greg the Bunny, and Get a Life need some recognition, too.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Without a doubt I have to say Married with Children.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

No particular order......

Married with Children
    Wings
    That 70's show
    Family Guy
    Simpsons
    Seinfeld
    King of Queens
    M*A*S*H
    Barney Miller
    3's Company
    Futurama
    Scrubs
    Friends
    Malcom in the Middle

Can Simpsons, Family GUy,and Futurama be considered sitcoms because they are animated? It dont matter to me as you can see they are on my list. Just wondering though
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    OH boy, now you guys are really starting to date yourselves.
    New does not necessarily mean better. (cough...prequels...cough cough)

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    New does not necessarily mean better. (cough...prequels...cough cough)

LOL, nether does old.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

My vote goes for Everybody Loves Raymond. I have never consistently tuned into a sitcom until this show premiered in the late 90's and I look forward to watching it every Monday night.

What I like about this show, compared to other classics Friends and Seinfeld (which I never really viewed ) is that it is:

a) Identifiable. It's a sitcom about a low-grade dysfunctional family, and it's star Ray Romano, embodies the reality of many fathers nowaday. He tries hard to help out with the family and house, and his heart is good, but inevitably his efforts usually fall apart at the end, or he just slinks out to play golf, watch T.V. or play Playstation. His wife Debra, (Patricia Hutton) is constantly feuding with Ray's overbearing parents who live across the street from him. I can't speak for all of us, but I recognize my dad in both Peter Boyle's character and Ray as well as much of my mom with Doris Robert's part.

b) It's not far-fetched. Friends and Seinfeld seemed to me to be too surrealistic at times, where anything remotely plausible would happen, and often did. Not what I like to see in a sitcom.

c) A well-rounded cast. Ray, Patrica Hutton, Doris, and Brad Garrett have all won Emmys on the series for their acting. Peter Boyle is overdue for one.

Other classic/modern favorites include Sanford & Son (Hey, ya dummy!), Mama's Family, as JJB mentioned, and Boy Meets World.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.