Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Here are a few that come to mind:

1. Cheers
    2. Seinfeld
    3. Fawlty Towers
    4. King of Queens
    5. Honeymooners

I didn't include The Simpsons since it's an animated series and I would put that in a different catagory.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Sports Night, Three's Company, Cheers, Night Court, Diffrent Strokes, Simpsons, Three Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place, MASH, Scrubs......

Seinfeld. Hands down.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pendo
    What's with the lack of British sit-coms on everyone's lists? As much as I enjoy American sit-coms, I believe British ones are the greatest!

Here's my faves:

Red Dwarf
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    Fawlty Towers
    The Brittas Empire

PENDO!
    thanks for that vote of confidence in british comedy, pendo. they are all classics. trouble is us brits have a very strange sense of humour and not everyone else always gets it. to your list i would also add 'monty python's flying circus', 'only fools and horses' and 'the young ones'

anyway, if you like great british comedy may i recommend 'the office', which has just won two awards in america. it is very, very funny. watch it before it gets remade and spoilt.

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    thanks for that vote of confidence in british comedy, pendo. they are all classics. trouble is us brits have a very strange sense of humour and not everyone else always gets it. to your list i would also add 'monty python's flying circus', 'only fools and horses' and 'the young ones'

anyway, if you like great british comedy may i recommend 'the office', which has just won two awards in america. it is very, very funny. watch it before it gets remade and spoilt.
    I'm not really a fan of Monty Python, but you're right, Only Fools and Horses, The Young Ones, and The Office should also have been on my list. I'd also like to add Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights .

I really hope America's attempts the reproduce The Office is more successful than their attempts at Red Dwarf.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Just remember you two, that there have been some massively successful American remakes of British Sitcoms. "All in the Family" was an adaption of the hit 60's BBC comedy "Till Death Us Do Part" for example. But I agree on the attempt to do a American Red Dwarf. Bloody Awful.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

didn't know that jar jar. i can understand why though - till death us do part was full over very english jokes and references which would have left most americans scratching their heads in puzzlement (west ham united, anyone).

wasn't there was also an american remake of fawlty towers?

something like red dwarf though, i can't understand why it was remade - its fairly universal humour. i believe the office is also going to be remade for the american market after ricky gervais won the two golden globes but i would say watch the original, if you can.

just realised i forgot one of my favourites which i think should be added to the list of great british comedies - the league of gentlemen. this is a local thread for local people!

Coupling was a British product i believe, it didnt last too long despite its hype. I cant say i really have a favorite sitcom. Im usually at work when the newer ones are on so i miss out on them. But if i had to make a list of my favorites it would go something like this in no particular order,

George Lopez
    Spin City
    Home Improvment
    and Family Matters

Not very many on the list. Ive never gotten into Friends (i think ive only seen about 3 episodes) Scrubs, Seinfield is ok, and most other ones i dont remember. I seen Leah Remini on the Howard Stern show last night. Shes okay looking, but she comes off as having a nasty attitude. And the voice bugs me too.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid killer
    Coupling was a British product i believe, it didnt last too long despite its hype.
    damn, i forgot that one too. another very funny programme. i think it made it to three series here. don't know if they will be making another one though. i think it suffered from many in the uk seeing it as a uk version of friends, although it was far better that that.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    Turbo, er...
    1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.She's working on it.
    Best of luck to her, or do Scientologists not believe in luck?
    2) Leah Remini is only 33. So! So it means that since she's not a mother and she's not older, she doesn't fit the definition.
    3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here? What Comment? LOL. You commented.
    If anybody complains or Steve says something, I'm blaming you.
    4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good. Never heard of it.
    I had the title wrong, it was just "Fired Up", it was good, starred her and that actress from NYPD Blue, Sharon Lawrence, as her former boss and now roommate and partner in a new business. It was cute, clever, had smart writing, so of course NBC tampered with it and then cancelled it when their tamperings drove viewers away.
    5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"? No, can I vote for South Park? In Living Color kicked *** too, but I will go with SP. ILC was not a sitcom, it was a sketch comedy show, that's a different animal.
    JJB, I always found All in the Family unbearably preachy even when I was a little kid, but you can vote for it if you want. I didn't know that the was harvested from a British sitcom just like Three's Company.

Nothing personal Pendo, but there's usually only like 5 episodes a year of any British sitcom, kinda hard to feel attached to it until it's gone on for a while. Plus, as the valet in Ferris Bueller's Day Off said, "what country do you think this is?"

Chux, mad props to adding Wanda (Wanda Sykes' show) and Greg the Bunny to the list, and of course Futurama & Family Guy net 'em too.

KH, animation in a sitcom is merely another situation, so yes, they are sitcoms. That means the Flintstones is a sitcom too since it was made for prime-time TV (which is why it has that stupid laugh-track).

LBC, it's "Patricia Heaton", not "Hutton". Turbo, she's what you'd define that previously-used term as since she fits the bill both as a mother and as mature.

Kool Aid, I think her voice and accent are kinda hot, but I like Fran Drescher too; yet in person, I usually can't stand that accent. What's really weird is both of those actresses can fake having no accent by doing a sultry voice, yowza!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.