Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

what are the best sitcoms ever?

Now that Friends is ending, there is a lot of hooplah about this final season that reminds me of the ending of Cheers (which is odd since the Cheers spinoff, Fraiser, is also ending this year and has zero hooplah). So I got to wondering, what are the best sitcoms ever, and by what criteria do we judge this?

The first one that keeps coming up in my mind is "Married... with Children". After the first season, this show became comfortable with taking the elements of everday life and exaggerating them for comedic effect while staying within its own universe. MwC changed the face of TV by being brash and honest and silly and never trying to be more than funny. The series also had the first openly-gay cast member - long before Ellen DeGeneres publicly came out of the closet - and its ratings were completely uneffected by the news even though the network feared it's seemingly all-male audience would be somehow intolerant of this. The network generally didn't think highly of its male audience but that was an advantage because the series could get away with more without drawing the ire of upset sponsors, and Fox never seemed to realize that MwC had a large female viewing audience either so the producers and writers could get more into the shows without worrying about Fox tampering with the series trying to target this other market. The show was often panned by critics, but lasted 10 years and still was its own brand of humor right until Fox pulled the plug.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Married with Children was indeed a great show.

But one of my favorites is still All in the Family. The show was controversial for it's time, clearly. Dealing with racism, as well as all the other topics the show faced and dealt with over the years. All you have to do is look at episodes like the one where Gloria was assualted. Or the rapist that tries to have his way with Edith on her birthday to see how willing the writers were to push the envelop to deliver a message with each episode. And yeah, it did loose some magic when Meathead and Gloria moved out. Even more so when they left the series entirely. But I still like the later episodes when they started taking care of Stepheny. They weren't as good as earlier episodes, but the one where Archie accepts her Jewish faith and gives her a Star of David necklace still is touching as hell. Without Archie, I doubt we'd have Al Bundy, Peter Griffith, or other characters that push the envelope. Hell, Seth McFarlane notes Archie Bunker on his DVD commentaries as one of the aspects that Peter was based on.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 02-02-2004 at 08:20 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Seinfeld. Easily the best TV show ever. Brilliant on so many levels.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

You guys disappoint me. Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Dharma and Greg? Reba? Home Improvement?

I would have to say Married With Children, too. I say that, though, as I hardly watch sitcoms on television. I catch my Drew C. and George Lopez (yeah, I like George Lopez, so what? wanna fight 'bout it?) sitcoms when I can, but Al and the gang are tops for me.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    You guys disappoint me. Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Dharma and Greg? Reba? Home Improvement?
    Damn, you're right!!! I nearly forgot: full house, family matters, hanging w/ Mr. Cooper & The Soul Man!! (hits forehead) how clumsy of me!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

King of Queens is pretty funny. The wife is a total M.I.L.F.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Ooookay... *backing away slowly while nodding reassuringly*

I also watch George Lopez, I didn't really stick with it until last season but it's pretty funny. Only time will tell if it ends up deserving to go on this list.

JJB, are you putting All in the Family on the list because it's genuinely funny based on its situation or like the second half of M*A*S*H where it's teaching important life lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by JJB
    Without Archie, I doubt we'd have Al Bundy, Peter Griffith, or other characters that push the envelope.
    That's true of Al Bundy for another reason, without All in the Family, they never would have spun off The Jeffersons, and if The Jeffersons had never taken off, 2 of its producers Ron Leavitt and Michael Moye would not have had enough clout to start Married with Children. (of course, they wouldn't have been able to develop Silver Spoons either, but you can't win 'em all.)

Turbo, er...
    1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.
    2) Leah Remini is only 33.
    3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here?
    4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good.
    5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Some that come to mind are:

(No particular order)

1. Three's Company
    2. Married With Children
    3. Seinfeld
    4. Will & Grace
    5. Friends
    6. The In-Laws
    7. Welcome Back Kotter (sp)
    8. Bosom Buddies
    9. South Park
    10. That 70's Show
    11. I Love Lucy
    12. The Andy Griffith Show
    13. Cheers
    14. Happy days
    15. The Cosby Show
    16. Family Ties
    17. The Honeymooners
    18. The Golden Girls
    19. Hogan's Hero's
    20. Mork & Mindy

There's a ton more like the Lopez show, Drew Carey, Mad, SNL, Whoppie's new show etc, etc.

Edit: Forgot to put my choice for favorite sitcom

Modern: Married With Children
    Old: Three's Company
    Last edited by DarthBrandon; 02-02-2004 at 11:00 PM.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I'm going to go with, both. Since it manages to entertain and educate at the same time. Without coming off as being overly preachy about stuff.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Turbo, er...
    1) both Leah Remini and the character she plays on King of Queens are not mothers.She's working on it.
    2) Leah Remini is only 33. So!
    3) Should I even be allowing that comment on here? What Comment? LOL. You commented.
    4) Yeah, she's quite hot, I wish her last show "All Fired Up" had survived, it was pretty good. Never heard of it.
    5) So is that your choice for "best sitcom ever"? No, can I vote for South Park? In Living Color kicked *** too, but I will go with SP.
    Yeah South Park is my vote.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)