Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hamill's Acting is just horrible in ANH.

It is mainly evident in the sequence with the sand people. He does not act concerned or even a little fearful when investigating the situation. Is his charachter really suppose to be that brave? But what really gets me is when the Tusken is attacking Luke the gaffi stick, he has absolutely no fear on his face whatsoever. Also when he tells 3PO,"We gotta get out of here before the sandpeople return." There is not one degree of urgency in his voice.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

He's terrible in ANH.

He shows signs of improvement in ESB and does his best work in ROTJ.

Indeed. In fact bad or mediocre acting is all over both trilogies. Just look at Harrison Ford's charming delivery of the following line.

Han Solo: "Easy, you call that easy!"

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

The worst delivered lines not by Jake Lloyd have to be:

HARRISON FORD: "Listen, I ain't in this for you and I'm not in this for your Rebellion. . ."

DUDE WHO PLAYS HOBBIE: "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?"

But Hammill can be rather wretched at times, too.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Gotta agree, he was horrible in ANH and progressed decently through-out the trilogy.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Yes, it's as if the Star Wars galaxy gets better acting. The Phantom Menace was very choppy and sort of hard to sit through, Attack of the Clones was a little better, but Obi-Wan seemed to forget how to talk smoothly. The OT was full of great timing for bad lines. But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    [size=1]Another galaxy, another time. The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that...it was [i]the [/i]Republic.[/size]

While the "Listen, I ain't in this..." line is a bit awkward, I don't know that any of the dialogue or acting is all that bad in the OT. Certainly not even in the same ballpark as anything Jake or Samuel gave us. If anything, I thought that Hamill's acting got worse by the time ROTJ rolled around. His "play to the big room" sensibilities shine through at unfortunate moments as he had been filling his spare time with live theater. But, no, none of it was terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

...okay, on second thought, maybe the "two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" guy needed another take, but how can you condemn the OT for that when the Prequels gave us so many great jewels like, "Yippee!"

I actually didnt think Hamill was that bad in ANH. I really would like to see his "scared" face though. Imagine old Hamill's face if he did come face to face with a tusken! Not pretty ! The one thing that makes me cringe in ANH, no matter how many times i watch it, is when Han tells (well kinda growls) Luke "May the Force be with you. Its as if Harry Ford's gonna break into tears! Tears of pain or laughter i just dont know.
    [font=Arial Black]Never underestimate an Ewok! Sticks and stones break Stormtrooper's bones![/font]
    [font=Arial]"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you."[/font]
    [font=Arial]"Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follow's him"- Obi-wan Kenobi[/font]
    [font=Arial]Great Seller:- Mr JabbaJohnL[/font]

I think in A New Hope, Luke is a wide eyed farm boy who craves excitement and adventure. As far as he's concerned, the Sand People are a good distance away, he's shocked when one comes right up ontop of him.

By the time we see him in The Empire Strikes Back, he's grown up somewhat, he's a bit more serious. If you wanna see Luke scared, watch the scene where he confronts Vader in the tree on Dagobah, now that's good acting.

Mark Hamill's acting definitely improves throughout the trilogy.

I think Mark Hamill's acting in ANH is spot-on, just what the film calls for. He's a young, innocent farmboy who craves adventure but is torn between that and his feelings of loyalty and duty to his uncle. When Luke travels into the Jundland Wastes, he thinks his rifle will protect him and his only worry is about Uncle Owen being mad that R2 has run off and the droids aren't working the farm. Look at the dialogue, Luke seems to be curious about taking a look at the Tuskens - he could have simply driven off but chooses to stay there. That's how I see it anyway.

In ESB, and ROTJ, there are moments when Hamill goes a little over the top, but I think in some ways that's what's called for in this homage to the serials. Plus, he seems to be overacting in the tone of what the scene calls for, when Harrison Ford phones it in during ROTJ, his style seems a little off-note at times because it doesn't totally fit the situation - though I suppose Ford might have been trying to play Han's cavalier attitude in those parts.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.