Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick "race" question

So I was reading about Charlize Theron and saw that she was born in South-Africa and is now an American citizen. Therefore that makes her an African-American. How mad would people be if the media started to call her an African-American? I would personally love to hear her called that from now on.

If this ends up having to go to the pit because people are sensitive bitc*es then just delete it. The pit sucks.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

That is actually a good question. Technically, she is an African-American, even more so than many of the "African-Americans" who have been in the US for generations.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The pit sucks.
    Join the Dark Side...it is your destiny!

You pose an interesting question she is indeed a true-true African-American, as opposed to a false-true African-American.

On the flip side, how come other nationalities don't go around hyphening their American heritage?

I have yet to be referred to as German-Swedish-Irish-American.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Join the Dark Side...it is your destiny!

You pose an interesting question she is indeed a true-true African-American, as opposed to a false-true African-American.

On the flip side, how come other nationalities don't go around hyphening their American heritage?

Well, how would one go about organizing that? If you are half Irish, 3/8 English and 1/8 Welsh, then are you a Irish-English-Welsh-American? Or are you a Welsh-English-Irish-American?

I would either be a Jewish-English-French-Scottish-Swedish-Irish-Russian-Cherokee-American or a Cherokee-Russian-Irish-Swedish-Scottish-French-English-Jewish-American
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I would either be a Jewish-English-French-Scottish-Swedish-Irish-Russian-Cherokee-American or a Cherokee-Russian-Irish-Swedish-Scottish-French-English-Jewish-American
    "....and a partirdge in a pear tree...."

We mongrels need to unite!

German-English-Irish-French_Canadian here....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

her "race" would still be Caucasian, not African-America which is also known as a "race." South Africa knows all about the distinction between White Africans and Black Africans.

The animosity against people using the phrase African-American baffles me because nobody is stopping you from calling yourself European-American if you want to. Within my family tree and lots of other white people I know, I hear them talking fondly about being Irish, German, etc. and they fawn over the ideas. For some reason though, people like to pick at African-American as being overly PC or whatever.

Meh.

I still want to meet a Eurotrash girl.

Depending on how old Charlize is, she could be considered born in a commonwealth of Great Britain as born in one of the UK's colonies.

Maybe race is what it means when it says African, and to be South African is caucasian.
    Kind of like the Australians, but only the indigenous people are called Aborigines.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    It's funny you should say that because I have actually started to do that. If I get paperwork or a questionnaire that asks what my race is and it has an "other" slot I'll fill it in and if there's a blank for what I am I'll write in "German-American". It's as true as 99.99% of the black people putting "African-American".
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Native white South Africans consider themselves to be Africans first and foremost. I've seen interviews with some and they are fiercely proud of their origins and do not consider themselves European at all.

I understand why people use the description African-American, but I don't like to be corrected when I refuse to use it to refer to Americans, white or black, who were born in the US.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)