Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Jar Jar Saves the Universe! No this is for real!

Most everyone hates Jar Jar. Thatís a sad, but true fact. Your ideas about him may change after you read this.

Without Jar Jar the Star Wars Universe would not be the same. There would be no Luke and Leia. There would be Darth Vader. If you watch TPM when R2 makes his debut you see him bump into Jar Jar right before he goes up the elevator to fix the Queens ship. He runs right into Jar Jar, which in turn delays R2 ability to get to the elevator. If R2 would not have bumped into Jar Jar he would have been blasted by a laser bolt that flies right past his head when he reaches the top of the ship. So, Jar Jar saved R2 life, who in turn save the lives of everyone aboard the Queens ship. Not to mention all the import stuff that R2 may do in episode 2 and 3, plus we know how important he was to Luke and Leia and Han.

So as you know see, the universe would be different without Jar Jar. So we should all thank our lucky star for him. Even if he is a bumbling idiot.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

And without Jar Jar we wouldnt have..... oh wait....... thats a spoiler so I better not put it here! LOL

Ah, but what if, rather, R2-B1 hadn't been blown up....and later downloaded his conciousness into the Queens ship. Then what? Hm? Ol' R2'd be in trouble then, wouldn't he?

"Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Um, I am not sure what that means, but it didn't really happen in the movie. R2 bumping into Jar Jar did....so I don't see the relationship hear.

Well, I refuse to give ANY credit to Jar Jar. A character that is poorly written and is extremely annoying that has IMO no redeeming qualities to him, does not deserve any sort of praise. The only reason Jar Jar bumped into him was so that Jar Jar could apologize to the droid, hereby INTRODUCING R2-D2 into the prequel. That is the first glimpse we get of R2, so that is why that was added. No other reason.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

There was only one justifiable reason for JJB being in TPM. He was the one who brought the Naboo and Gungans together (none of the Naboo knew where the Gungan Sacred Place was). Without the Gungans' help, the Federation would not have been defeated. Yeah yeah, Anakin blew up the control ship, but if the gungans hadn't drawn away the droid army, the Naboo never would've gotten their N-1's out of the hangar.

Bottom line: the charcter of JJB was necessary in TPM, but his characterization was not (i.e., he didn't have to be portrayed as an overly-clumsy oaf).

Originally posted by Lone Jedi
    There was only one justifiable reason for JJB being in TPM. He was the one who brought the Naboo and Gungans together (none of the Naboo knew where the Gungan Sacred Place was). Without the Gungans' help, the Federation would not have been defeated. Yeah yeah, Anakin blew up the control ship, but if the gungans hadn't drawn away the droid army, the Naboo never would've gotten their N-1's out of the hangar.

Bottom line: the charcter of JJB was necessary in TPM, but his characterization was not (i.e., he didn't have to be portrayed as an overly-clumsy oaf).
    I agree that the character was needed for the plot line, but the way the character was portrayed should have been handled differently. I honestly can't believe that ALL of the people who worked on TPM thought that Jar Jar was a great character and would be a huge fan favorite. Sometimes I wish people would speak up to GL, but I think that they keep quite so they don't lose their job.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

I like Jar Jar. I don't always like the way they use him, but I think the character is cool.

SithDroid, you've emphasized my point with more clarity, thanks. I *thought* I read somewhere that several of the ILM crew DID NOT like JJB, including some of the guys who brought him to "life."

Jar Jar is more than just an poorly written character. He represents so much more. Think about it, he was an outcast to his society. No one liked him, including the Jedi. But, in the face of all that he over came and became a Bomb Bad General. He is one of the characters that George Lucas loves to showcase. How someone so lowsome and insignificant can change the course of the future. Sure, my example of him bumping into R2 is one good one, but Jar Jar is bigger than that. He is what Star Wars is all about. Wich is the little guy being able to defeat the big battle hardened bad guy. I think everyone has been Jar Jar at least once in thier lives. In the since that they have felt like an outcast, and he shows that you can over come that to do great things.
    Sure everyone would have been happier if they would have just used Wookies, but that would have been silly. I bet Wookies can't even swim.